1980 CJ5 return fuel line re-routing, issues w/ pass. side? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1980 CJ5 return fuel line re-routing, issues w/ pass. side?

Custom Axle Work at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 03-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
EgulAye
||||

1980 CJ5 

1980 CJ5 return fuel line re-routing, issues w/ pass. side?

I've just started getting a very tired CJ5 to run, and have a leaky return fuel line to replace. My thoughts are to re-locate the line from the driver's side to the passenger side of the Jeep and away from the exhaust. With the existing leaks fuel is dripping on the exhaust. Obviously a new line will correct that issue, but it seems like a good idea to me to ovoid this potential issue in the future by moving it.

Is there any reason I shouldn't move the fuel line or any gotchas that cause problems when re-locating the return fuel line? I could take the easy way out and just rubber hose over the valve cover and then follow the fuel supply line down the passenger side of the frame. Or I could probably find an alternate location a little further back that doesn't go over the top of the motor.

Does anyone have thoughts or prior experience on this?
Thanks

EgulAye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 02:15 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Well I wouldn't use rubber tubing over the engine. It could dry out and crack from the engine heat. Use hard line until you reach a point were it needs to flex.

I uses Stainless steel for a return line on the driver side. Will probably last longer than me.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 02:21 AM   #3
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

If you follow the bulkhead you can do it in Tube all the way, just have to get it lower than the fuel filter along the bulkhead so it drains nicely. The only piece of Hose should be the final connection to the filter, for maintenance, and at the tank. You will have to deal with the flexing of the engine on its mounts so the Tube should be fastened to the bulkhead and then run free the couple of feet to the filter. If you make it from one piece of Tube no leak issues. The steel line is less than $20 in bulk.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.