1980 cj5 fuel flow problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1980 cj5 fuel flow problem?

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 08-28-2002, 08:13 PM   #1
kasper37

1980 cj5 fuel flow problem?

I've recently aquired a 1980 cj5 4 cyl 151 that has been sitting a few blocks up from the beach for about 6 years. The body is in rather poor condition but the engine doesn't look as bad. This morning I was going to try starting it for the first time and the starter turned the engine over but it didn't start...I thought I might have to turn it over quite a bit to get gas up to the carb but nothing ever happened. Finally I decided to put gas directly into the carb and it started up. It will run for a few seconds (until the gas that I manually put in the carb burns off) and then it just dies. I thought it was the fuel pump so I took it off to inspect it and when I did I notice that the gas in the pump was an amber color. It also had some water in it, usually not a good sign, hehe. So I drained the tank and put new gas in. I also replaced the fuel pump (I already had the thing off and they are $20 so why not...). Long story short, I'm still having the same problem. I can get the engine to turn over a few times when I add the gas myself, but it doesn't continue. It's worth mentioning that while it IS running on the gas that I add, it runs very well...it sounds like all the cylinders are fireing and it idles quite nicely. So I've exausted my ideas..I've replace the fuel pump AND the old gas, now what? Thanks for any ideas...

Dan

kasper37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2002, 08:46 PM   #2
DIXIE

You might check the fuel line and the fuel filter to make sure they are not clogged. Also you might check the diaphram to make sure it is in good condition.

Last edited by DIXIE; 08-29-2002 at 12:29 AM..
DIXIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2002, 09:11 PM   #3
Bryan L.

fuel flow

I agree with Dixie,( on the diaphram) Do you know if you got all the old gas out of the tank? If not add some gas treatment to clear out remaining water. Take the fuel line off the feul pump and the gas tank and blow it out with air. Once everything is cleaned out and you are ready to start the motor, you have someone turn it over for you while you spray a slight mist of ether to keep it running long enough for the fuel to get to the carb. Hope this helps
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2002, 05:46 AM   #4
kasper37

I forgot to mention that I replaced the fuel filter also. I also am pretty sure that I got all of the gas. I used a small hose to syphon and I added 3 gallons of new gas after I was done which should have diluted any bad gas enough to make a combustable mixture. What is the diaphragm you are talking about though? I don't even know what that is....
Unread 08-29-2002, 06:57 AM   #5
cjryder

I ran a thread about a week ago with the same problem. No gas to carb. I pulled the sending unit, about 34 bucks and replaced it. I know, this doesn't send gas it sends signal. But mine now runs. I am guessing that the pickup tube or old pickup filter had a clog, or maybe in the float valve. Its cheap and easy, worth the try.
Disconnect the fuel line on the tank side of the pump, and see if you can syphon gas. If not, your problem is between the fuel pickup and the fuel pump.
cjryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2002, 07:16 AM   #6
4wheeler4CJ

Just another idea....it could simply be the carburetor. If it has been sitting 6 years, you likely have stuck floats, clogged jets, etc., and a rebuilt carb may be in order. You may be surprised.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2002, 12:44 PM   #7
kasper37

ok...

It looks like I have a few things to check today. Can anyone explain what the diaphragm and the sending unit are? Also where they are, hehe...
Unread 08-29-2002, 02:31 PM   #8
cjryder

Sending unit is on top of the gas tank. You need to drop the tank.
It is held in place by a lock ring that rotates and lifts out. Take note of the fuel line hookups before disconnecting, it will save you a headache or two. Before dropping the tank, verify which side of the pump your problem is on.
cjryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2002, 02:58 PM   #9
kasper37

there's good news, and there's bad news...

thanks for the exlination cjryder. so I think I've narrowed it down to the carburetor. I disconnected the fuel line from the carb and hand cranked the engine and the pump is pumping fuel just fine. After I've got gas being pumped to the carburetor there's not much more to look at. Thanks for your help.

Dan
Unread 08-29-2002, 06:24 PM   #10
kasper37

I think I found the problem...

Without the solenoid seal I don't think that gas would be getting into the carb.

http://www.fascistadmin.com/pieceofjeep/carburetor/

I can't find a new seal for the life of me though...

Dan
Unread 08-29-2002, 07:13 PM   #11
NC74CJ

Your carb is full of varnish. No doubt that it is completely clogged and needs to be rebuilt. I just had to do this to the carb on a jetski that sat for only 2 years.

Bill
Unread 08-30-2002, 10:33 PM   #12
kasper37

sigh...

well, I spent all day rebuilding my carburetor and I'm still in the same spot...there may be light at the end of the tunnel though. After hooking my carb back up I forgot to hook up the throttle return spring so the engine was at full throttle and it kept running and getting faster and faster. I finally had to just turn the key off so the rpms wouldn't get out of control. I still can't get the engine to idle. I don't know what tunning needs to be done on the carb but I hope that's all that is left to do...

dan

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.