1980 cj5 chevy 350 tbi swap issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1980 cj5 chevy 350 tbi swap issues

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday Sa

Unread 12-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
tmclmc
1980 CJ5 

1980 cj5 chevy 350 tbi swap issues

Having issues with the tranny and clutch plate and flywheel to the back of the motor with the bell housing. I got it all together and couldn't get it to turn over, so I had some buddies come look at it and found there was metal shavings in the bottom of the bell housing. I haven't taken it apart yet but I bought the parts from a guy who does the swap for a living, so idk why I would have the wrong parts I used a 93 camaro starter and it was a 153 tooth flywheel. And it all bolted up I did however have too really tighten the bolts to the motor and bell housing. Anyone know what my issue may be

tmclmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Did the input shaft go into the pilot bearing all the way? I've read on here that if the bearing is in too far it becomes pinched and distorted,then the input shaft doesn't fit correctly.

Is the starter for the 153 tooth flywheel?

Dave in Muskegon
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Can you turn the flywheel by prying on the teeth with a screwdriver? Basically making sure it's not a "rotating" issue... but a starter/starter gear issue?

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
tmclmc
1980 CJ5 

As far as I know it all went in like I said though we had to really tighten the belhousing down to the engine block and we put some ummmffff on it to close the gap.i haven't tried the flywheel with a screwdriver all I saw was the shavings in the belhousing
Unread 12-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
tmclmc
1980 CJ5 

My buddy thinks the flywheel is grinding on the top of the belhousing and that's why it won't turn over said to drop the tranny again and take a look inside.

I am just concerned what parts would be wrong if it all bolted up and I supposedly got the 153 tooth flywheel
Unread 12-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

You should not have needed to work hard to bolt them together. Something is wrong there.....

Dave in Muskegon
Unread 12-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #7
tmclmc
1980 CJ5 

So does that make the pilot bushing the isue? And if so why would there be shavings from the belhousing at the bottom of the belhousing?
Unread 12-25-2013, 10:52 PM   #8
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Possible, you'll have to backtrack your steps. See if you can move flywheel. If not; start loosening bolts to find problem,then correct it.

Dave in Muskegon
Unread 12-25-2013, 11:01 PM   #9
tmclmc
1980 CJ5 

Thanks predicate the help man
Unread 12-25-2013, 11:06 PM   #10
tmclmc
1980 CJ5 

Hey man I was curious just saw you are using a chevy trans and axels how hard was the conversion and what year did you use for the tranny and axels and what vehicle did they come off of
Unread 12-25-2013, 11:16 PM   #11
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

'93 Chevy tbi 350 from a pickup, 1987 700R4 trans from a blazer, front d30 from a early '70 cj,rear d44 from the same cj. I put a Chevy fuelpump in my tank and added the Chevy wiring harness to my cj harness to make it run. Works great so far......knock on wood! Lol

Conversion wasn't bad. With a family of 5 and only 1 income,money took the longest get.

Dave in Muskegon
Unread 12-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #12
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Were the shavings aluminum or steel? If they're aluminum (check with a magnet if unsure), then it sounds like the flexplate is probably contacting the inside of the bellhousing.. with the teeth shaving off aluminum. If the shavings are steel, then it's probably something else.

Also.. did you physically count the teeth on the flywheel to verify 153.. and not 168 teeth?

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #13
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclmc View Post
Having issues with the tranny and clutch plate and flywheel to the back of the motor with the bell housing. I got it all together and couldn't get it to turn over, so I had some buddies come look at it and found there was metal shavings in the bottom of the bell housing. I haven't taken it apart yet but I bought the parts from a guy who does the swap for a living, so idk why I would have the wrong parts I used a 93 camaro starter and it was a 153 tooth flywheel. And it all bolted up I did however have too really tighten the bolts to the motor and bell housing. Anyone know what my issue may be
You didn't happen to use some aftermarket bolts for the flywheel, did you?

I ask because I found that some bolt kit's, that are advertised to work for AMC engines, will actually be too long, and the bolts will rub against the back of the block.

I don't know if the above info applies to a 350, however.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #14
tmclmc
1980 CJ5 

So I dropped the tranny the clutch is actually grinding on the bell housing and I never seen it before its like the PO used a bigger clutch or something and it doesn't fit in the new bell housing
Unread 12-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #15
tmclmc
1980 CJ5 

Another thing is it broke the sleeve that sounds the trannys input shaft not sure if it affects the trannys actual function

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.