1980 CJ5 258 Air Intake / Exhaust Manfiold Configuration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1980 CJ5 258 Air Intake / Exhaust Manfiold Configuration

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
TW80CJ5
1980 CJ5 

1980 CJ5 258 Air Intake / Exhaust Manfiold Configuration

I saw a post about them being married by configuration before 1981. I had a buddy that warned me about this in the beginning but wasnt certain since it was a 258... Since mine is an 80, I guess this applies to me. And wouldn't you know it, I get a call from the mechanic today saying my Air Intake wont bolt onto the exhaust manifold.

Here is what I purchased: http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_in...ducts_id/28101

It is a omix-ada part number 17622.05. What's even more of a pisser, I have already paid to get the old intake cleaned up and ceramic coated (as well as the air intake). So the million dollar question is what Air Intake do I need to get that will be compatible with the new exhaust manifold? Or, what manifold do I need to get to work with the current air intake.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

TW80CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

For the life of me I can't figure out what you're asking. Do you have a newer intake manifold - and you bought an older exhaust manifold that matches with the older intake?

If you have a newer intake, the one with a water jacket and heated manifold plate, the exhaust manifold you'll need is one like this: CJ exhaust manifold for 81-8? You'll also need to either plug the EGR port on the intake and exhaust manifolds, or buy the connector to mate them. It's an S-shaped tube and you can get it for about $35 at your Jeep dealer - tell him it's for a 4.2 YJ, they use the same part.

Or are you trying to find an intake manifold to match your new exhaust manifold? If that's the case, you can pretty much only find them used on eBay for usually less than $100:
4.2 Intake #1

4.2 Intake #2

Except the link for the exhaust manifold you purchased shows an older exhaust manifold. Which should work with your old intake.

Does that help?
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
TW80CJ5
1980 CJ5 

Sorry for the confusion....

I have a new exhaust manifold (reference the part number in the original post) that I would like to keep. Apparently my new exhaust manifold will not work with my current (old) air intake.

My current and old Air Intake is aluminum and has the coolant ports on opposite ends.

Any better or more confused?
Unread 04-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

More confused. The "old" intakes are cast iron and don't have a heated water jacket (i.e. the coolant ports). The "new" intakes are like those I posted on eBay, with a heated water jacket, made of aluminum.

The "old" exhaust manifolds are like the one you linked in your first post - they mate up perfectly with the "old" intakes through a port about 3"x3" square. The "new" exhaust manifolds are like the first link I posted, with a simple 1/2" port that you have to link to the "new" intakes with a curved pipe, available through your Jeep dealership.

If you have a picture of your intake, I can verify that it's the "new" style, but from the sounds of it - that's what you have and you'll need an exhaust manifold like this one: '81-86 4.2 exhaust manifold, as well as the curved pipe to fit it to the intake.

Is there a chance you have an aftermarket intake manifold - a Clifford or something? If that's the case, neither exhaust will mount with it very easily, and more likely than not you'll need an exhaust manifold from that particular manufacturer.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

Maybe the air intake is not original? and was never hooked up to the old exhaust manifold? Or maybe the engine itself is not original? and is a 81 or later model? or maybe something aftermarket? All is possible with a 30 years old vehicle....

Is the problem they won't bolt together? but can still bolt to the engine? if thats the case then its probobly not a problem. Most of those pre-81 manifolds have a non-functional heater anyway.
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I think HP has it right.
Sounds like his intake and exhaust manifolds are the newer style and his "new to him" exhaust manifold is correct for the 1980 engine but not for the manifolds he has.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
TW80CJ5
1980 CJ5 

Sorry for the delay...I am trying to get pics from the mechanic...
Unread 04-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
TW80CJ5
1980 CJ5 

OK, here are the available pics...thanks for all of the help. I know this is very confusing.
photo1.jpg   photo2.jpg   photo3.jpg   photo4.jpg   photo5.jpg  

photo6.jpg   photo7.jpg   photo8.jpg   photo9.jpg   photo10.jpg  

Unread 04-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #9
TW80CJ5
1980 CJ5 

And a couple more....
photo11.jpg   photo12.jpg   photo113.jpg  
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
TW80CJ5
1980 CJ5 

I am not certain if its the original intake or not. But it definitely was hooked up to the old exhaust manifold. The engine was replaced 15 or so years ago with a crate engine of some type...I remember my brother in law telling me about it. Every piece of information I have on the Jeep is its a 1980 CJ5.

You're right, they wont bolt together but can still bolt to the engine...
Thanks for all of the help.
Unread 04-28-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

The intake you have shown is the same as the one on my 82 model. So somewhere in the life of your jeep it got swapped. It was married to the manifold tht you had, but someone has plugged the holes as I am in the process of doing to mine now. The steel pipe that married them was part of the EGR system and many people delete it when doing modifications if not in an emissions state. You may have to just use 2 seperate gaskets from felpro for your intake and exhaust or they may both seal with the single gasket. The gasket kit I got had both gaskets but I only used the one.

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #12
CSP

The problem with bolting them to the head is the mounting flange is different between the two types. Since both manifolds use the same bolt with a thick washer in several locations, the thickness of the mounting flange on each has to be the same or you'll never get one tight while the other will be tight.

Sorry to say, but at this point you need the newer (81 and up exhaust manifold) or the older type intake manifold that will work with the "new" exhaust manifold.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #13
TW80CJ5
1980 CJ5 

OK, guys...thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. I am ordering another exhaust manifold, 81 and up, so it can be compatible. I have to keep moving forward on this rebuild so I dont stall out....I have a brand new, ceramic coated exhaust manifold I will make somebody a heckuva deal on.

Thanks again

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.