1980 CJ-7 Paint suggestions (POLL) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1980 CJ-7 Paint suggestions (POLL)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

View Poll Results: Paint options for this 1980 CJ-7
Restore paint (Shine up paint and re-spray sections orig color) 9 19.57%
Restore paint (shine up paint and re-spray sections w/ different color) 7 15.22%
Re-spray whole CJ with similar color 28 60.87%
Leave it be so everything stays original. 2 4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 07-23-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
VamosJEEP
1990 YJ Wrangler 

1980 CJ-7 Paint suggestions (POLL)

Submit a poll response and help me figure what I should do to this CJ.

1980 Jeep CJ-7 with original EVERYTHING. 73K original miles. Kept inside a barn for 15 yrs. Paint needs some help. Practically rust free!

Last edited by VamosJEEP; 07-23-2009 at 04:07 PM..
VamosJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
CajunCountry
1983 CJ7 

Repaint the whole thing the same color, should be easy. Just the outside hood closed ect.
cause if the orig. paint is prety good the the door jambs ,dash,under hood ect should matchup well.Just freshin it up!
Just my 2 cents

You know your driving a CJ
When all the "Other" jeeps wave at you first because you are "cooler.....
CajunCountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
dkg4244
1983 CJ8 

I think it would be easier to paint the whole jeep with a similar color. That way you don't have to worry about matching/blending the areas that need to be painted. I went through the same thing with my jeep and it was much simpler to just spray the whole thing.
dkg4244 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2009, 03:29 PM   #4
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg4244 View Post
I think it would be easier to paint the whole jeep with a similar color. That way you don't have to worry about matching/blending the areas that need to be painted. I went through the same thing with my jeep and it was much simpler to just spray the whole thing.
X2 I'm just about done, just been to hot and humid to finish her up
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
MHSJEEPKID2012
1977 CJ7 

This is what i would do. I would paint it a diffrent color. If you paint it blue again make it a dark blue. It would lokk real nice with a new paint job!
Unread 07-23-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I would keep it the original blue color as you don't see that color around much anymore. With correct 1980 year Renegade decals it would look even better.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2009, 05:17 PM   #7
OlivergreenCJ7
2001 TJ Wrangler 

You could try compounding and waxing it. I had a 66 mustang that looked like it got a new paint job after the waxing. This suggestions based on not knowing what your plans are for it.
OlivergreenCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2009, 06:02 PM   #8
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

I say repaint it with a similar color, although it really depends on what you want to do with it. If you want it to look good, paint it. If you just want to use it, honestly that doesn't look bad at all. I'd drive the hell out of it.

That looks sharp though either way; nice find!
Unread 07-24-2009, 06:42 AM   #9
VamosJEEP
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am pretty much going to keep this jeep on the street considering how original it is. I would cry if I was to wheel it and damage it. haha

I am leaning towards cleaning up some of the surface rust it does have on the tub and fixing all of its little dents (as well as the big ones) and re-spraying it the original color. BTW its called Teal Blue from 1980 which is the only year CJ got that color.

Thanks keith460 for the renegade pic. I really like it. I would love to slap them on there but I am afraid that some of the Jeep Purists would pick it apart knowing its not a true renegade. What came on that year extra as far as the "renegade" package was concerned?
Unread 07-24-2009, 06:47 AM   #10
attworth
1979 CJ7 

I'd re-spray the whole thing with the original color, or as close to the original as possible. Love that color!
attworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2009, 08:52 AM   #11
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

guess I'll vote for the minority... I say clean-up/touch up what you've got.

my '83 looked fabulously craptastic with it's dirty/faded/chipped paint when I brought it home. I knew a paint job wasn't in the budget, and time would keep me from even a home job.

witness:

granted, it was fairly straight, but there were chips down to the primer and metal EVERYWHERE! the paint on the hood had 0% shine to it, even after cleaning. the above photo's REALLY made it look good compared to real life. (the stickers on both sides of the tub, covered up some 4+" scratches, and peeled even more paint when I removed them)

my thought was, I have nothing to loose but perhaps a bit of time and a few bucks, so...

I brought a paint sample in to match (took the rear tire stop for the swing away carier- which had been repainted) into a local auto body supply shop. two days later, they mixed me up a quart of cheap paint that was a dead-on (enough) match (they said is difficult with red )

a little touch-up here and there, some elbow grease, some polishing (not rubbing) compound, and I ended up with pretty good results, IMHO:

it wasn't show quality, obviuosly, but it had just enough patina that I wasn't afraid to use it, but it still didn't look abused.

as for repainting, I think a blended-in small area (such as your fender) is better than trying to do an entire panel 9like the whole fender. I'd try touching up the smalled area possible. THEN I'd add original sticker right over the top of the prep work... it would give you that well used but original look that is so hard to find!

hope whatever route you choose works well for you!

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2009, 09:20 AM   #12
attworth
1979 CJ7 

Hoss,

Looks like you had excellent results. I can say without a doubt that spending a little time correcting paint is a good, cheap way to take care of an issue.

Case in point - my step father's Porsche 944. Horribly faded, oxidized paint.

8 hours later, and a few ruined pads for my machine -

Would I do it again? Sure. Not on this car though.

Single stage paint really sucks when compared to modern BC/CC paint systems. The car pictured above looks exactly how it did BEFORE I worked on it now. It lasted about 3 months. Of course, he didn't take care of it and left it parked outside like I advised against, but that's life, no? You may notice in the before shot, the driver-side fender looks good. It's been repainted with a modern BC/CC paint. It still looks good after about a year, while the rest of the car looks like poop.

If it were my vehicle, and the money were available, I'd repaint.
attworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2009, 09:21 AM   #13
VamosJEEP
1990 YJ Wrangler 

WOW. JoonHoss your results have inspired me to try to match the color. I figured the paint that is there is in good condition and just need a good polishing. I might have to figure out how to get a sample to the auto body place to try to match.

THANKS!
Unread 07-24-2009, 09:26 AM   #14
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VamosJEEP View Post
... I might have to figure out how to get a sample to the auto body place to try to match...
glovebox door, or tailgate (seriously)

good luck!

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2009, 09:29 AM   #15
VamosJEEP
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet! I already had the glove body door off because the lock was messed up.

I am stoked now. I really wanted to keep as much original paint as I can.

Thanks again Hoss!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.