1980 CJ 5 Lift Kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1980 CJ 5 Lift Kit

UCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-19-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
SCHUSKER
1980 CJ5 

1980 CJ 5 Lift Kit

Has anyone installed a 2.5" Rough Country Lift kit on a CJ5? Doing all the work myself, started on the front drivers side, everything fit great. Next started on the rear drivers side. The supplied leaf spring (part no. 8008) doesen't seem to be long enough. contacted Rough Country, they said to try and bolt the leaf spring to the axle first, then attach it to the mounts. Tried this all day with no results, lack about a quarter of an inch from getting the bolt through the mount. What am i doing wrong?

SCHUSKER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2007, 03:15 PM   #2
supraman1990
1980 CJ5 

Sure your using the rear spring? Dumb question, but it happens.
On the back burner for college.
supraman1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2007, 03:30 PM   #3
SCHUSKER
1980 CJ5 

Yep, triple checked
Unread 08-20-2007, 07:53 AM   #4
imafishingfred

1981 CJ7 

My son had a problem with his also (not the same lift you have). His were to short. We simply put a rachet strap around the frame and axle and preloaded the spring as if it had lots of weight on it. The spring flattend out enough to get the bolts in.
imafishingfred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2007, 11:22 AM   #5
GasAxe
1983 CJ5 

I'd measure the length of the spring, then call RC and make them tell you what length the spring is supposed to be. Don't tell them what you have first or they can just say "Oh yeah, that's the right one".

Seems to me that if you have to preload the leaf spring, that may be why RC has a reputation of a stiff, harsh ride.
And by the look of his avatar and name... not a hippie.
GasAxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2007, 01:19 PM   #6
SCHUSKER
1980 CJ5 

As a follow up, I finally got the spring into place. I put my floor jack under the sping and kept jacking until I could take a crowbar and pry it to where I could insert the bolt. If you ever buy this kit throw away the instructions, there worthless.
Unread 12-26-2009, 01:04 AM   #7
Nitro1
1982 CJ7 

How does it ride?
Nitro1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.