1979 Jeep CJ5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1979 Jeep CJ5

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-06-2005, 06:46 AM   #1
mustangdave357

1979 Jeep CJ5

Hello, I have the opportunity to buy a 1979 Jeep CJ5 with the AMC 304 V8 Engine. The jeep has been sititng for 5 years untouched. When it was parked it ran perfectly and had no problems. 5 Years later I am not sure what I might be getting into. Is the 304 a good engine? What do you think the jeep is worth, the guy is asking $500.00. What things can I expect to get into by buying this, thanks, Dave

mustangdave357 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2005, 07:11 AM   #2
dawgates
Web Wheeler
1980 CJ7 

500 bucks??? Where's the Jeep located? If you don't buy it someone else will and fast! I'll buy it if you pass it by.
The 304 is a great engine. It's very under rated. It's a good comparson with the small block Chevy.
As far as what to expect? What do you want to do with it? The sky is the limit as to what you can do with the Jeep.
Just make sure you change the oil/filter, check all the fluids before you start the engine. Take a can of WD40 and shoot a little in each spark plug hole for some needed lube. The cylinders have to dry after 5 years of sitting.
Good luck and keeps us informed.
80' CJ7, 360 Howell Injected, 3" single exhaust, NP435 4spd, Dana 300 AA clocking ring, Currie twin stick, Tera-Low 4 -1 kit, Dana 44 front, cut 10" wider to 63", 4.10 gears, ARB, Yukon axles and Super H/D u-joints, Currie Dana 44 rear, cut wider to 60 1/2", 4.10 gears, ARB 35 spline, Currie 35 spline axle shafts, 2 1/2" x 11" Ford drum brakes, CJ-SOA conversion, Tom Woods F & R drive shafts, Warn 9500i winch, 6 point cage, Homemade F&R bumpers and tire carrier, 1" body, Pro Comp supension Kit, 12.5x35x15 BFG's, 15x10 OMF beadlocks, Body armor, OBA.
dawgates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2005, 07:15 AM   #3
mustangdave357

Thats some good info, I will probably buy it I just didnt know what to expect of a vehicles condition after sitting for 5 years. The WD 40 is a good idea, any others, I am sure the gas is bad, what else would be good to do before I start it, thanks again!!!
mustangdave357 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2005, 07:41 AM   #4
gunkysputter23

Manual Fuel pump could be dried and rotted. Cooling system could have massive amounts of corrosion. Fuel system is probably rusted pretty bad. Make sure the wires haven't been chewed up by mice & rats. Check the carb, intake manifold and cylinders for dirt dobber wasps' nests, if you have this little critters in your area. There's lots more which I'm sure others will add. Lastly, expect to spend every penny you make on her for the next several months? years? Hell, go rob a bank and it'll be affordable.

I've been pumping my baby with dough for years now. At my last calculation I figure she still needs about 4-5 grand put into her. And thats just for materials, I do my own labor.
gunkysputter23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2005, 08:17 AM   #5
dawgates
Web Wheeler
1980 CJ7 

4-5 grand!!! gunkysputter23 you cheap skate, you're hold back. I beat I have double that in mine and I also do my own work.
You need to dig deeper into those shallow pockets.
Like a wife or girlfriend "tit's and tires", a Jeep is a money grabber.
I wouldn't be surprised if my Jeep sneaks into my wallet at night and take a few bucks out when I'm asleep. Everytime I turn around it's asking for M.O.R.E.!
80' CJ7, 360 Howell Injected, 3" single exhaust, NP435 4spd, Dana 300 AA clocking ring, Currie twin stick, Tera-Low 4 -1 kit, Dana 44 front, cut 10" wider to 63", 4.10 gears, ARB, Yukon axles and Super H/D u-joints, Currie Dana 44 rear, cut wider to 60 1/2", 4.10 gears, ARB 35 spline, Currie 35 spline axle shafts, 2 1/2" x 11" Ford drum brakes, CJ-SOA conversion, Tom Woods F & R drive shafts, Warn 9500i winch, 6 point cage, Homemade F&R bumpers and tire carrier, 1" body, Pro Comp supension Kit, 12.5x35x15 BFG's, 15x10 OMF beadlocks, Body armor, OBA.
dawgates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2005, 09:35 AM   #6
gunkysputter23

I've been trying not to hold back. 4-5 grand will get her to where I want for now. I figure I've already put about 17 grand into her (including initial purchase cost) and will eventually put another 10-15 in. That or just get another CJ or two and start all over again, but this time do some things differently. I've a 78 Chevy 350 Pickup running but ready to be parted out (in several years) and will probably use the ol trucks engine,tranny,xfer & axles for my next project after the two I currently have going are finished.
gunkysputter23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.