1979 CJ5 Starts then dies (2) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1979 CJ5 Starts then dies (2)

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 06-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
humboldt415
1979 CJ5 

1979 CJ5 Starts then dies (2)

So... I want to keep this short bc there are MANY similar threads on this subject, but every issue is slightly different. I went to replace the stereo in my CJ, the wiring was a mess from the PO. previous stereo was jumped directly into the fuse panel. stereo install was not successful, and afterwords the jeep would start, but die within a second despite throttle input.

Step 1: read archive internet forms
Step 2: replaced all fuses
Step 3:replaced ignition module with new
Step 4:

Today, I found out keeping the key in the "start" position will keep it running, dies immediately when returning to "run".

I'm thinking I may have shorted something in the ignition at the steering column?? Haven't checked the coil or the distributor, but from what I read, the start vs. run test narrows this down. Any input appreciated for a noob.

humboldt415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #2
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Wiring issue or ign switch itself.
'Start' and 'run' are 2 different circuits.
Do this-Run a jumper wire from the POS(+)side of the battery to the POS(+) side of the coil. Start it-Does it keep run'n now(if it does-pull jumper to 'kill' engine)?
Don't run it to long, with a full 12VDC feed'n the coil--
LG
Unread 06-06-2014, 05:23 AM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Check the coil positive for volts when the key is in run. Should be 12 V there.

Under the dash on the side of the steering column not far from the ignition switch plug is a white plug on a red wire with white stripe. This is where a factory tach would hook up and is the main ign power line. Maybe you knocked that loose?
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2014, 05:35 AM   #4
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Aounds like you have a bad ballast wire or resistor. However it could just be no power down the red with tracer wire in Run.

It is not fused, it is fed from the switch

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.