1979 CJ5 Frame Up Restoration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1979 CJ5 Frame Up Restoration

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 02-21-2003, 03:11 PM   #1
cyoungone

1979 CJ5 Frame Up Restoration

I have started the restoration and could use some opinions. I am working on my third restoration of a 1979 CJ5 and have decided to go all the way this time. The time has come to replace the body tub on the Jeep and I would like to change fro steel to fiberglass. What are the pros and cons of doing this and where should I look for a new tub and get a good deal?

cyoungone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2003, 03:57 PM   #2
clegger

Have you ever thought about an aluminum tub? JP makes a nice one. I think about $2500, but not sure.
Unread 02-21-2003, 06:32 PM   #3
Wildbill
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Fiberglass Tubs....

I did a restore several years ago on a '79 CJ-5 and used a 4WD Hardware F/G Tub. It seems well built but I did not like the fact that I had to measure and scribe all the holes in the firewall and floor boards. Also I did all the prep work on the tub before painting and all the fiberglass dust is a bit*h.

If you decide on doing the F/G tub take my advise and replace ALL of the body. I thought I could fix the rust in the fenders and re-use them and now I wish I had spent the extra 250 to 300 bucks for the fiberglass ones.

Wildbill

[COLOR=blue]Blue Jeep Club Member #23[/COLOR]

'92 [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] YJ 4.0 HO, 5spd.
'04 [COLOR=silver]Bright Silver[/COLOR] Liberty Sport 4X4 3.7L Stock for now
[URL]www.peaceriverjeepers.com[/URL]

What do a Divorce in Alabama, A Tornado in Kansas and a Hurricane in Florida all have in common?.....No matter what someone is fixin' to lose a trailer
Wildbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2003, 08:30 PM   #4
mxg342
1984 CJ7 

Fiberglass is pretty nice. It will never rust!!! Granted the dust is a pain to work with but if you make a mistake that's nothing that tigerhair and putty can't fix. As for marking the holes for the heater and everything here is an easy fix. (yes I use the term easy loosely)

Carefully cut the firewall out of the metal body. Them take sheet metal screws and attach it to the fiberglass firewall. Now you can just drill the hole to the exact size and location and everything lines up fairly well that way.

Oh and as far as bodies. Expect to spend 2000-2500 on a glass body. Some are better than others of course. 4WD makes a nice one and so does AJ's. With the AJ's body they will put the color in the gel coat so no need to paint it!!! that's a plus!

HTH
'84 CJ-7 Junkyard TBI 360/T18/D300, 4" 4WDH Lift, D44 front with ARB and HS/D44 Rear w/ Detroit, 4.56s, 36" Iroks, TFI, TJ flares, Homemade rocker guards and bumpers with swing out, Optima Yellow Top, M8000, York OBA, 6pt cage
"when you're up to your *** in alligators, it is hard to remember that your original intention is to drain the swamp"

Last edited by mxg342; 02-22-2003 at 08:32 PM..
mxg342 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.