1979 CJ5 Build (Tank Killer) - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1979 CJ5 Build (Tank Killer)

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 04-21-2011, 10:03 PM   #106
boarderofsnow

1979 CJ5 

I went with 2in x 1in 3/16 square tubing for the crossmember. Since the original was nothing close to that I think it should be fine.

Also please feel free to not point out my terrible welds...lol. It was the first time I used as gas 220 set up and it took a line to dial it in.

imag0844.jpg   imag0845.jpg   imag0846.jpg  
boarderofsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2011, 12:27 PM   #107
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderofsnow View Post
Alright so we moved the gas tank up and it would not fit because of the crossmember. I figured this was going to happen but wasn't sure. So the next step was to get everything ready to accept the tank and to create a frame for the tank and skid plate.

Here is a pic of another Jeepers rig that gave me the idea for the frame.
hey, that pic looks kinda familiar...wait a sec.... that's mine
Unread 04-24-2011, 04:18 AM   #108
boarderofsnow

1979 CJ5 

Had another day of working through this fuel cell frame and here is what I came up with. I bought 2in x 2in x 1/4in square tubing and did 45 degree angel cuts on each side. This will be for the skid plate to help protect the fuel cell. I also gave myself 8in of space between the tub and the bottom of the fuel cell frame. I took into consideration the fuel and return lines as well and gave about an 1in of play forward and aft.

This first pic is the frame rail sitting next to the fuel cell for measurements.

The next two are the frame rails for the fuel cell being welded to the frame.

The last two are the finished product of the fuel cell frame.
imag0848.jpg   imag0849.jpg   imag0851.jpg   imag0853.jpg   imag0854.jpg  

Unread 04-24-2011, 04:33 AM   #109
boarderofsnow

1979 CJ5 

If you are still kind of lost as to what I am doing here is how the tank will sit in the frame. The red area is the tank and the yellow will be the skid plate.
imag0856.1.jpg  
Unread 04-24-2011, 04:39 AM   #110
boarderofsnow

1979 CJ5 

Just ordered the bump stops and while I was doing this whole conversion decided to go with a YJ filler neck and cap so that will be in the mail soon. I went with this set up because it looks like it will seal better around the gas cap than the old CJ filler necks/caps. Nothing is more frustrating than getting verticle with a full tank and having gas spilling out of the cap. I also pondered getting a JK gas cap hatch to put over the top of it all for a little modernization. I like the flush look and think it would be neat to see incorporated. I am not sure if it will completely cover the CJ square hole so I am holding off until someone says yes it will or I get some measurments.
Unread 04-24-2011, 04:42 AM   #111
boarderofsnow

1979 CJ5 

So far I'm into the fuel cell swap $260 for the cell. $40 dollars for pipe. $180 for a chop saw (could have done without it but it will come in handy for future metal working and roll bar stuff). $60 YJ filler neck conversion. If only the mods on the fuel cell and the scrape plate come at a good price then I will have beaten the off road gas tanks that BTF and a few other companies sell for around $850 (OUCH!). With those you still have to modify your tub....NO THANKS!

More to come!
Unread 04-24-2011, 04:45 AM   #112
boarderofsnow

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinstickd20 View Post
hey, that pic looks kinda familiar...wait a sec.... that's mine

Yeah it really was a great idea. I took yours and some others conversions and made a hybrid! If only I could get it to the point of trail ready by Friday ..... I would be ready for our local Big Dogs Offroad event this weekend. Just keep swimming......just keep swimming
Unread 05-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #113
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

here is another pic of mine figured it might be helpful
Unread 05-01-2011, 07:31 PM   #114
boarderofsnow

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
I did fix the shifter cable but didn't secure it and it sat on my muffler when I drove it and melted. I have to order another one in the next few weeks and will document that here.

Shifter Cable update. As I had mentioned I had some problems with the shifter cable because of where the shifter was mounted and the cable angle. This cost me two shift cables in the last year. The last shifter cable was my fault for the most part by not securing it properly. So here are the pics below of the fix.

The first picture was cutting the back end of the cable mount (which wasn't my idea, some bad advice I listened to). The idea was to bend the cable down to the proper angle.

The next picture is the shifter with the cable mount bent down on a piece of cut out cardboard. This is a great way to see if what we were doing would clear the inside of the tub. By doing this cut out in cardboard it helps to save time dropping the shifter in and out of the vehicle. Since I was working on a lift this wouldn't be a big deal but if this is something your running into at home in the driveway it will save time and effort.

Well this is where the advice I recieved cost me a few hours with this fix. The shifter cable for the B&M shifter is a hard cable. The guy who gave me the advice didn't take that into consideration. So you can obviously see that the way this cable mount is bent down that it would create another area of binding in the cable which was what I was trying to get away from.

So the fix was to lower the bracket down by cutting up some metal to lower the bracket and welding them together.

The last pic is the cable now clearing the hump where the old transmission used to lay.

This was a headache that should have been done right the first time. In the end it was a injury that I didn't give the proper time to heal and continued to re-injure it. NO FUN!
imag0858.jpg   imag0859.jpg   imag0862.jpg   imag0864.jpg  
Unread 05-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #115
boarderofsnow

1979 CJ5 

So the next thing was sending the fuel cell to get the top cut flush and welded up. The fuel cell welding I don't even want to mention the cost because I feel violated by the shop that did this. This will be motivation going forward to learn to hone my skills welding and learn aluminum welding. Here are the pictures of the cell when I got it back.

As I stated I wanted the top flush to maximize the clearence under the tub. The filler neck and vent were built on the side of the tank to mirrow the stock tank that came out. This was to ensure not too many things had to be modified.

Then a fuel line and return line were welded in as well as a vent that I had requested to be on the side but obviously there was a disconnect between me and the shop who did it.

I also had mounting tabs welded on as well.
imag0865.jpg   imag0869.jpg   imag0870.jpg  
Unread 05-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #116
boarderofsnow

1979 CJ5 

Next was to build the internal workings of the fuel pick up system. As I have mentioned this before this system set up was a hybrid of ideas from other rigs I had seen. This fuel pick up system was the same way. I purchased the fuel pickups from http://www.autoperformanceengineerin...l/pickups.html

I purchased a MP12 and MP13. The MP13 has a bleed hole which I wanted to ensure the tank doesn't come under negative pressure.

Here are the pictures of how the internals will lay inside the tank as well as the fuel pickups.
imag0871.jpg   imag0872.jpg   imag0873.jpg   imag0874.jpg   imag0875.jpg  

Unread 05-01-2011, 10:29 PM   #117
boarderofsnow

1979 CJ5 

Next was the skid plate to hold it up and protect the fuel cell. I wanted to go with 3/16 steel plating. I purchased a sheet of 4 x 2ft 3/16 plate from a local dealer of metal products. Boulevard Sales here in Maryland was the metal distributer. I wanted to mention them because they always take care of me.

I also needed the plate bent at a 45 degree angle to match the fuel cell frame. I ended up having this done at Trucks and Trailers here in Maryland.

Here is how it came out.
imag0868.jpg  
Unread 05-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #118
boarderofsnow

1979 CJ5 

We then needed to drill the bolt holes through the plate and the fuel cell into the frame. We also welded nuts into the frame for the bolts to screw into. We placed everything up and clamped it in for drilling.
imag0866.jpg   imag0867.jpg  
Unread 05-02-2011, 12:20 AM   #119
huntersdad

1985 CJ8 

Quote:
Yes it was. I was just talking to some friends about my spiritual beliefs and pow my name was called. The Lord was looking out for me that day. Awesome testiment!
Amen brother!

Tim Hamilton

/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)-o-)_)
huntersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 06:56 AM   #120
huntersdad

1985 CJ8 

Fantastic build.

Tim Hamilton

/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)-o-)_)
huntersdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
14 bolt , 5.3l vortec , cj5 , dana 60 , turbo 350

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.