Originally Posted by boarderofsnow
I did fix the shifter cable but didn't secure it and it sat on my muffler when I drove it and melted. I have to order another one in the next few weeks and will document that here.
Shifter Cable update. As I had mentioned I had some problems with the shifter cable because of where the shifter was mounted and the cable angle. This cost me two shift cables in the last year. The last shifter cable was my fault for the most part by not securing it properly. So here are the pics below of the fix.
The first picture was cutting the back end of the cable mount (which wasn't my idea, some bad advice I listened to). The idea was to bend the cable down to the proper angle.
The next picture is the shifter with the cable mount bent down on a piece of cut out cardboard. This is a great way to see if what we were doing would clear the inside of the tub. By doing this cut out in cardboard it helps to save time dropping the shifter in and out of the vehicle. Since I was working on a lift this wouldn't be a big deal but if this is something your running into at home in the driveway it will save time and effort.
Well this is where the advice I recieved cost me a few hours with this fix. The shifter cable for the B&M shifter is a hard cable. The guy who gave me the advice didn't take that into consideration. So you can obviously see that the way this cable mount is bent down that it would create another area of binding in the cable which was what I was trying to get away from.
So the fix was to lower the bracket down by cutting up some metal to lower the bracket and welding them together.
The last pic is the cable now clearing the hump where the old transmission used to lay.
This was a headache that should have been done right the first time. In the end it was a injury that I didn't give the proper time to heal and continued to re-injure it. NO FUN!