1979 CJ5 Build (Tank Killer) - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1979 CJ5 Build (Tank Killer)

UCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #91
boarderofsnow
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Next came welding the bumper on. I didn't mention above but we removed the gas tank for safety with the welding. Just common sense. I took this opportunity to take picture because I am planning on going with a custom gas tank set up in the rear. Most people just slap a gas tank in the back seat but owning a CJ5 means you already have as little room as possible.

So here is the bumper welded up and then pictures for the inside of the rear frame rails and crossmember.

imag0800.jpg   imag0801.jpg   imag0803.jpg   imag0804.jpg  
boarderofsnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #92
boarderofsnow
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Next was welding up the rear hangers. We knew we would only be able to weld into the outside of the hangers because of my exhaust location and there hangers would be perment (unlike my front hangers when I go to full width axles) so we drilled into the frame and added two bolts to the underside of the hanger.

Then we did a mock application of the leaf spring and noticed the exhaust tips would be in the way. The plan is to reroute the exhaust to where it comes out the side and not out the back.
imag0808.jpg   imag0809.jpg   imag0810.jpg  
Unread 04-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #93
boarderofsnow
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Here is where we hit the big snag. I ordered CJ rear hangers when I should have ordered XJ rear hangers. If any of you have dealt with XJ hangers you know that one eyelet is far larger than the other. Well since I wasn't planning to stretch it just yet (because of the need to move the gas tank elsewhere) I was just going to keep the XJ Leafs pointed the correct way. Well long story short the eyelet was to big for the hanger. I was burning shop time ($50 bucks a day) so we made the decision to go with the stretch. If any of you have done a stretch in the rear you know what must happen.

Fenders get trimmed and gas tank gets relocated.

So we hopped to it and started mounting the leafs while my buddy got to work on the fenders.

As you can see I used BTF shackles for the rear. They are beefy!
imag0811.jpg   imag0812.jpg   imag0813.jpg  
Unread 04-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #94
boarderofsnow
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

So next was to Comp Cut the fenders. There is a real science to this. My suggestion woulkd be to tape it off first. We did 3in from the top of the tub to the bottom of the tap and started at the peak of the fenderwell.
imag0814.jpg   imag0816.jpg   imag0817.jpg   imag0818.jpg   imag0819.jpg  

Unread 04-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #95
boarderofsnow
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

We finished the mounting of the leafs and slapped the tires back on and rolled her out. The XJ leafs are completely pancaked and I am worried with any additional weight the will S. So as I mentioned with the YJ's we will do an add-a-leaf in the rear. Here are the last pics I took as we rolled it out.

I still need to purchase a new gas tank. Extend the slip yoke on my rear drive line and fix my shifter cable.
imag0820.jpg   imag0821.jpg   imag0822.jpg   imag0823.jpg   imag0824.jpg  

Unread 04-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #96
boarderofsnow
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Just recieved the RCI Fuel Cell in the mail. I'm gaining 2 gallons and 5 inches of clearence. I just have to modify it to fit my set up and we may have to modify the crossmember inside the frame rail. More to come. The Tanks measurements are 30x17x7in's.

More to come.
imag0825.jpg  
Unread 04-15-2011, 06:32 PM   #97
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

My xj springs went flat too but im just going to deal with it for now and a flat spring will usually ride and flex better, nice 5 even tho im not a fan of the comp cut.
Unread 04-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #98
boarderofsnow
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinstickd20 View Post
My xj springs went flat too but im just going to deal with it for now and a flat spring will usually ride and flex better, nice 5 even tho im not a fan of the comp cut.

Yeah I looked through your thread and yours and mine almost mirror each others. I still haven't figured out how to do the shock mounts front and rear yet and am kind of holding off since I will be going full width axles soon. I still have my tube fenders to put together in the front and need to place a guard around the rear comp cut to ensure I'm not cutting my tires. Great build!
Unread 04-15-2011, 08:26 PM   #99
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderofsnow View Post

Yeah I looked through your thread and yours and mine almost mirror each others. I still haven't figured out how to do the shock mounts front and rear yet and am kind of holding off since I will be going full width axles soon. I still have my tube fenders to put together in the front and need to place a guard around the rear comp cut to ensure I'm not cutting my tires. Great build!
Unread 04-15-2011, 09:14 PM   #100
bucklee00
1981 CJ5 

great job documenting the build! i have my own cj5 (patches) project and hope to have a nice build thread, but it will be nothing like this!
bucklee00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2011, 09:15 PM   #101
boarderofsnow
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklee00 View Post
great job documenting the build! i have my own cj5 (patches) project and hope to have a nice build thread, but it will be nothing like this!

Thank you! Well we will be interested what comes out of your build. I have so many plans but continue to let my bank account think for me rather than my rig think for my bank account. lol Doing the measurements on the gas tank in the morning and should have it welded up and customized ready to drop in.
Unread 04-21-2011, 09:52 PM   #102
boarderofsnow
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Alright so we moved the gas tank up and it would not fit because of the crossmember. I figured this was going to happen but wasn't sure. So the next step was to get everything ready to accept the tank and to create a frame for the tank and skid plate.

Here is a pic of another Jeepers rig that gave me the idea for the frame.
downsized_0117111940.jpg  
Unread 04-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #103
boarderofsnow
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Now my axles sits quite a few inches back from where his sits so I took pictures and dropped them into piant. If this is something you haven't done before it can be a way to see how certain ideas you have may look on your rig.

Here is what I came up with. The red is the smaller frame 2in x 1in square tubing. The blue is the 2in x 2in square tubing. The 45 degree angle cuts on the blue will be for adapting the scrape plate to.

The first pic is what I have to remove (crossmember and body mounts) and the rest are my ideas for the fuel cell frame.

Also here is the picture for what modded gas tank will be once I take it to get welded. This is the only item I won't be doing myself because I am not at the point of welding alluminum yet. The 3 red lines on the top will get cut out and the red line around them will be the patch. The current filler neck will be cut off and over to the right a filler (Green arrow) and vent tube (red arrow) will be welded in. The last little red corners on the side will be the mounting brackets that will be welded in and sandwiched between the frame rail and the scrape plate.

Note - I have heard every idea in the book on how to do this blah blah blah almost to the point of frustration. So here is what I am doing going forward and appreciate any thoughts but I won't mount the tank in bed because I want the space back there. This idea I have should work well and have seen it incoporated on two other rigs and they have had no problems.

Enjoy.
imag0801.1.jpg   imag0794.jpg   imag0801.jpg   imag0803.jpg   imag0825.1.jpg  

Unread 04-21-2011, 10:36 PM   #104
boarderofsnow
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Also I didn't include it in the pic above but the fuel and return line will be on the other side of the tank. Fuel line will be in the bottom left corner and the return will be in the top right corner.

The idea with this is to get it to sit as flush as possible inside the frame rails. The original CJ5 tank was 13in tall. With this new tank sitting as flush as possible after the filler neck and lines have been removed it will only sit 8in below the bottom of the tub. Thats 5in of clearence and 2 extra gallons of gas. On top of that my back seat area will be fuel free! A lot of work but should be worth it.
Unread 04-21-2011, 10:51 PM   #105
boarderofsnow
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Next was the measurements and getting the old crossmember out. I know that the extended frame rail will stick down 2in from the bottom of the frame rail. The tank is about 7 1/2in so I will have a half in or so of play. So it was time to cut out the crossmember and get the weld areas sanded up for the new crossmember. Here are the pics. Oh yeah the screw driver you see is to hold the gas lines up and out of the way. Still thinking of how I will adapt them to the new tank. Any one know which line it the fuel and which is the return???
imag0841.jpg   imag0842.jpg   imag0843.jpg   imag0847.jpg  

Tags
14 bolt , 5.3l vortec , cj5 , dana 60 , turbo 350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.