As seen in the video we fired the motor up. I pulled the coil packs before starting it to turn it over a couple of time and get oil flowing. Had a little trouble with the fuel pressure gauge leaking so we had to purge the line and tighten that mother down. Also a day or so before I had pulled the spark plugs and sprayed WD40 in the holes. This was per a suggestion from Dave Medley the guy who did my harness. The motor had sat for almost two years so we weren't really sure what would happen. After the quick turnovers we hooked everything back up. Filled her back up with fluids and Boom....fired right up first turn of the key. About two starts later the water pump gave out. Figures...lol. So I pulled it and replaced in on Sunday. There was a lot of fluid and leak marks from the original fluid probably from when GM installed the pump so I'm glad its replaced.
Next I started working wiring and getting the little stuff tuned in. Mostly wiring though. I put an in line 25amp relay in for the fuel pump and a 10 amp fuse for it per Walbro suggestion. Also picked up a Power Block from West Marine supply for the accessories and the 12 Volt Guy panel. Also wanted to show everyone how your harness will come if you go through Wayne, and Dave off Pirate4x4 Everything came labeled and was easy to install. $400 bucks ....can't beat it. More wiring.....we will see how it goes.
Thats crazy! No way I could deal with that for a year let alone a few months
Where I love everyone strait pipes their trucks. Driving down the highway is so loud lol. The cops got used to it after a while. It sounded pretty good. My neighbors hated it though! I'd come back from a party or going out after midnight... Only reason I put mufflers
Returned home to find a few goodies brown santa dropped off. Some tiedown straps for my trailer straps from Macstiedowns.com and a conversion radiator hose sleeve with a blled valve and a line for my steam vents off the motor.
That is freakin awesome! Awesome idea with the vent going back to the throttle body.
Originally Posted by boarderofsnow
More thoughts into the fuel system today. Here is what I came up with based on my research.
Does your motor have a return line? I think I may have asked you this before but don't remember.
Congrats on the motor firing! I still get excited when I fire mine up... Don't get discouraged on the build taking you a few weeks. Mine has taken a few years.
Been a crazy busy couple of days with work and wrapping my brain around how to best wire this rig. I made it into the shop this moring and spent all day wiring up the Dash. Definately made a dent in it. I had built daisy chains for the gauge lights and the power and ground for the gauges. I also drilled the holes for the turn signals, brights, and warning light.
Next I was able to get the dash mounted back in the Jeep and before the shop closed took a couple of pics with the new insert. I love this idea and it will make life so easy going forward with adding new accessories or trouble shooting the electrical system.
Here is the Wire diagram for the Winch controls to be worked in the cab. This is based off my Warn 8000 winch. Do not think this is universal. Also here is the wiring diagram I came up with for my set up. Feel free to chime in. Hopfully everything is covered. There are a lot of connecting wires with the relays left out. I explained relays in my Fan wiring Diagram.
I worked on the seat brackets a little. I had received them earlier in the week. The mounts were not going to be easy to fit with the seats in the current space with out heavy modifications to the tub. The Corbeau XRS were designed to have a sliding bracket mounted to the OEM brackets for the CJ5. I have no need to move the seat forward or aft so there was no need to spend $100 a seat bracket to mount them. I needed them to be moved farther forward so they weren't making contact with the tub. The seats came with multiple mounting potions underneath so it was obvious I would have to modify my brackets. So I took some measurments and welded some extensions to the feet of the brackets. I just need to weld in some gussets and they will be good.
The goal was to have it out of the shop and on the trailer last night.....that almost happened. After I spent most of the day wiring up the gauges and interior it was time to get her rolling. I installed the rear drive shaft checked the fluids and tossed the seats in.
Well everything worked as advertised.....fired her up and put it in reverse and backed her out of the shop. Rig felt great.....turned the fan on made it about 3 feet forward and she died. Battery was dead. So I called it a night. Few things could be the problem. Alternator is junk, there is a hot somewhere in the system, or a junk battery. I think its probably all of the above. Went back to the shop today with little time before work and threw the battery on a charger. We will see in the morning where it stands. I'm going to change a few things to help the alternator keep the battery charged. Thicker gauge wire, and not run the alternator through the wiring system. I will more than likely run the line straight from the battery to the starter and the starter wire back up to the battery. The thought is that the alternator isn't working when the starter is engaged and vice versa. We will see how it goes. Also planning to change my grounds. Ground the battery to the frame, motor, and firewall. We will see how it goes. If the alternator is bad I may look into higher amp alternators if I have a spend a $150 or more for a new 145amp.
Here was the last pics I snapped of her. SO CLOSE!