Day 3 was oh so much fun! I started with the transfer case. My tranny seal and T-Case seals were bad and I was getting fluid back and forth between the two. So I started at the Trans To Transfer Case Adapter. This is 8 bolts and the Adapter slides off the T-Case. Also the shifting handle comes with it after a cotter pin is removed. From there I pulled the retaining ring on the bearing and it all slipped out of the adapter housing. There is two seals inside the adapter assembly. One for the trans and the other for the T-Case. They can be removed easily with a punch/hammer from the other side. Next was dropping the new seals in and putting the assembly back together.
The next part hit me by surprise. I did a rushed amount of research in pulling the T-Case apart as I was running out the door. I pulled the Front Output Shaft Bearing Retainer and did noit realize the Rear Bearing was filled with about 30 pins that all fell out once I pulled the cap off. Some fell on the floor other fell inside the T-Case.......Yeah awesome fun times all rolled into OMG what the HELL just happened...lol. So with a magnet I routed around inside the T-Case till I found them all. Then covered them with grease and with a new gasket slid the cover back on. This definately slowed me down. Also the cap had a side broke off so I filled that hole and bolt with RTV.
Then it was time for the firewall. This was half assed on my part because of the bay I was in. I was spraying dust and metal all over the car parked next to me. We then rolled the rig outside and I threw a coat of primer on it. This will have to do until I get the motor in and mounted. There is a list of a ton of stuff to do but I'll get there. Also painted the frame rails.
I was going to try and get the motor mounted to the tranny today but ran out of time. I did pull out my Autometer accessories and popped them in. The back oil temperature will take the place of the oil pressure sending unit. Its an fitting from Autometer that you just drop right in in its place. We were being rushed out so I didn't get to finish snapping pics. The other is the Water Temperature which goes in the back hole of the passenger side head. There is a plug there and you remove it.
Moving along pretty good. Those "little" slow downs suck. Glad you did what you could to the firewall while it was easy to get too. I have done a some projects that I skipped a few details to pick up time and wish I had not later.
Day 4 motor swap. I started with the power steering pump. I had to remove the old brackets from the Small Block Conversion and the bracket off the back of the LS Pump. The pump mounted right up no problem I am thinking I can mount the reservoir on the side of the engine above the pump.
I wanted to make sure the tranny looked good inside so I pulled the Trans cover and swapped out the filter. Overything internally looked good. So I sealed it back up. I will have to open it again to weld in the trans temperature bung from Autometer. I'll plobably add a drain plug as well while I'm at it.
The next area went really quick because I had trouble with the crappy pully install kit the shop had and getting the power steering pump pully took way longer than I expected. So unfortunately with no help I had to get the motor mounted to the tranny and dropped in and I was running out of time. So I didn't have a chance to take any pictures of mating the trans to the motor. It was straight forward with the spacer I had purchased. Everything went together with no problems. Nathan showed up and was doing some work on his axle shaft and helped get the motor lowered in and bolted up. The universal mounting brackets which are pretty thick didn't help with the old moutning location. The bushing were pretty tight to get them to fit into the holes. They will most likely wear pretty quickly.