Day two motor sawp and feels like I made some real progress today. Today Daniel Stiener (Commander Dan on here) stepped in to help. There is no way I could have gotten nearly as much done without him! So THANKS MAN! So when I left yesterday all that was left to pull was the top two bolts connecting the trans to the T-Case. So we started there, pulled those, choked the fuel line, and boom motor pullin time! Once we got it back ground level I pulled the motor mounts. About time I make an appearance in my own thread....lol
Next was dropping the trans and T-Case. I went ahead and drained the T-Case and we set a rod accross the frame and some bolts throught the Tranny for support. Then we moneky F'd two jacks, a few different blocks of wood and some extension mounts for the lift and attempted to lower the tanny / T-Case. I also threw a strap just incase....lol. We got it down to where the jacks were level and bottomed out and then were trying remove the wood when it shifted and found its way to the floor. Luckily nothing broke and no idiots were harmed..lol.
We then seperated the trans from the T-Case. The seal between the two is bad and I wanted to fix it while it was down and do some other maintenance as well. I had originally bought a seal kit so I'll start replacing those while its down. Never opened one up before so it should be a good learning curve.
I then did a little work on the LS motor. For the motor to mount up to a Turbo 350 Trans you need a spacer to place on the flex plate. There is a ton of information out there that is all about linking them together. Anything from use a 6.0 flex plate to having to drill holes out of the spacer. I must have lucked out because the spacer I bought from Jegs P/N 809-12563532 worked just fine. Bolted right up. Next was the motor mounts which I'll be honest I was nervous about if the C6 Corvette manifolds would clear them or not. My motor mounts are Advanced Adapters and there is not a ton of info out there considering. Also keep in mind this is a small block conversion first and now the LS conversion over the top of it. The drivers side cleared fine but the passenger side was in the way so I had to take the heat shield off and do some cutting.
Now let us address the Trans cross member. This is the original pic of what I purchased in the build in 2009 from the shop that dropped in my SBC and I paid them 4.5k for all their hardwork....idiots. So check this out, crossmember out, next pic is the massive hole I found on the top half of it. Now this really is just piss pour work. They obviously cut the piece too long and rather than just fix it the tried to cover the massive hole with weld. So I had to cut it open, put in a plate, and then weld in a patch. Not happy about that little surprise. Look I have a ton of friends who own shops and do great work for people so please know I support the jeeping world and local businesses that do it right. This is just one of those cases where they chose not just go the extra mile and it was on my dime. Rant over.....
I closed out the night by taking a wire wheel to the inside of the frame rails. They were still caked in mud, even after my hour long power wash, after the dumb decision to hit the mud hole at big dogs in September. It took a while to get them cleaned up but underneath there were no signs of pitting or rust, which at this time for me is a good thing. There was a ton of dirt around the bolts holding the crossmember in and I wish I had time to get it to a pressure washer and get the inside of the frame sprayed out. I also removed the bracket for the parking brake and the old rear bracket I had outline in a picture on the last page. I then removed the old fuel lines on the drivers side. All thats left now is the brake lines and the fuel line on the passenger side which I'll remove once I drop the gas tank. These are a couple of pics to just show the space available for Fuel pump, filter and the exhaust.