1979 CJ5 Build (Tank Killer) - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1979 CJ5 Build (Tank Killer)

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 04-11-2011, 03:04 AM   #61
boarderofsnow
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

The last area was to put in the new seats I had won. I pulled the old ones and painted the frame rails. Clearly when these said CJ the were meant for a CJ7 because I had the hardest time getting these to fit in the rig. The frame rail of the seat hits on the my fender tubs. So I had to cut the seats frame rail a little. Didn't cut to much or jepordize the integrity of the seat frame. I then had to use washers to fill the gap and purchase longer hardware. Eventually we will weld up some new frame rails for the seats.....its a tight fit now and needs to change.

Here are the pictures of painting the old rusty frame rails and putting the seats in.

p6180106.jpg   p6180109.jpg   p6180110.jpg   seats-2.jpg   seats-4.jpg  

boarderofsnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2011, 03:07 AM   #62
mudpuppy_n_jeep
1980 CJ7 

looks good
cage turned out nice
youngest girl 79 cj5
mudpuppy_n_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #63
boarderofsnow
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuppy_n_jeep View Post
looks good
cage turned out nice
Thank you. Still more to come! I still need to tie the cage into the frame. I also forgot to post how I tied it into the floor. Here is a pic. The plan is to tie another plate into this under the body and weld that into the frame.
imag0286.jpg  
Unread 04-11-2011, 09:16 AM   #64
mjfitz99
1986 CJ7 

Lots of work, it all looks nice!
mjfitz99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2011, 10:04 AM   #65
TheMauler

I can agree with that. Tube work isn't an easy thing to learn that is why not too many people invest in such an adventure. If we'd do it again we would use a tube bender and frame out everything. Buying kits are good however most kits don't come with instructions and are pieced out like legos. Every junction being week unless you place a good ole gusset or inner sleeve. Said and done...do it yourself...
TheMauler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2011, 12:54 PM   #66
Boo-urns
2000 TJ Wrangler 

what up John? This is Steve from big dogs.
Im glad to see you got a build thread going on, its nice to see how you actually pieced that old girl together.
Keep it coming its looking good
Boo-urns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #67
trailhead2004
1980 CJ7 

Nice work Boarder. I really like the paint you did on the hood and the liner on the interior. The roll bar looks pretty nice too.

I was a crew chief on F-16's and FB-111's in the Air Force. What a great time! I find that I use a lot of the mechanical and troubleshooting skills I learned when I was in. Sure comes in handy with a rig like a CJ, huh?

Go wing nuts!

trailhead
Unread 04-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #68
boarderofsnow
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfitz99 View Post
Lots of work, it all looks nice!

Thanks man! I really appreciate it!
Unread 04-11-2011, 04:54 PM   #69
boarderofsnow
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMauler View Post
I can agree with that. Tube work isn't an easy thing to learn that is why not too many people invest in such an adventure. If we'd do it again we would use a tube bender and frame out everything. Buying kits are good however most kits don't come with instructions and are pieced out like legos. Every junction being week unless you place a good ole gusset or inner sleeve. Said and done...do it yourself...

Yeah I agree once the Shops I was taking it to stopped thier price quotes and the end reciept was more than I was expecting it was time to get it done. Most of the things I was looking at doing I needed shop space for or didn't have the tools. Now that we have invested in a welder and a tube bender its just finding shop space to do it in. Living in Maryland and in our neighborhoods there are no driveways or garages. Lately we have been renting shop space from one of the auto hobby shops on Fort Meade. Definately less expensive and you do it yourself.
Unread 04-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #70
boarderofsnow
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo-urns View Post
what up John? This is Steve from big dogs.
Im glad to see you got a build thread going on, its nice to see how you actually pieced that old girl together.
Keep it coming its looking good

Burns? Hey man thanks! You gonna make it to Ice Breakers? I can't say just yet that the Tank Killer will be ready. I still have to have a slip yoke for my driveshaft made. We will see! Good hearing from you man!
Unread 04-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #71
boarderofsnow
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhead2004 View Post
Nice work Boarder. I really like the paint you did on the hood and the liner on the interior. The roll bar looks pretty nice too.

I was a crew chief on F-16's and FB-111's in the Air Force. What a great time! I find that I use a lot of the mechanical and troubleshooting skills I learned when I was in. Sure comes in handy with a rig like a CJ, huh?

Go wing nuts!

trailhead

Yeah all the maintenance skills I picked up in the AF do help. I figure if I could work on a 10 million dollar acft I can fix this old CJ up.
Unread 04-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #72
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderofsnow View Post
The next thing I wanted to purchase and work on was a roll cage. Since we had purchased a 120 Miller Welder I wanted to put it to good use. The bumper was the first part but the roll cage tested our skills with welding and fab'ing. I purchase a normal weld in cage kit that attaches to the original sport bar. I also wanted to add stability so I did a dash bar and two reinforcements bars across the driver and passengers heads. The last step was footing to be bolted into the floor and hand holds. Here is how it went.
Your cage came out great, and I would like to do the same with our 5. Can you give details about where you bought the kit? Parts? etc?? Thanks.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2011, 05:14 PM   #73
boarderofsnow
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Also when we were out on the trail in the past I would notice when I would start to stretch the brake lines would get tight. I had the stock brake lines and with the lift I was running it was time to get longer brake lines. I bought some 6in brake lines that ran me about $90 bucks. It was a good investment and I would suggest it to anyone who is looking at lifting their Jeep. Here are the pics.
imag0261.jpg   imag0262.jpg  
Unread 04-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #74
boarderofsnow
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Your cage came out great, and I would like to do the same with our 5. Can you give details about where you bought the kit? Parts? etc?? Thanks.

Here is the link for the kit I bought http://extremecustomparts.com/i-3612...llys-jeep.html

The rest we did with metal picked up from a metal shop. The handles came from that website as well and so did the dash bar. I'd do it a little different now but it still came out great. Probably invest $300 to $350 in the entire kit. I wanna do a back half for the kit and tie it into the frame. Something to consider if your just starting yours.
Unread 04-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #75
boarderofsnow
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Well everything was ready and we headed for another trip to Big Dogs. This was the September Main Jambo in 2010. Enjoy.
p9100187.jpg   p9100190.jpg   p9100191.jpg   p9100192.jpg   p9100193.jpg  

Tags
14 bolt , 5.3l vortec , cj5 , dana 60 , turbo 350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.