Well today was the day. I left the house at 730pm to be at A-1 Drive Shaft and had my U Joints on the axle shafts swapped out. The guy said it would be a few hours and I wasn't even gone 50 imnutes and the guy was calling me telling me they were done. I am so glad I left that work to the professional. I would have been banging on those things for hours!!!!
Well I got to the shop around 1pm and slid the axles shafts in.
From there it was time to start getting the high steering put in. First we pulled the top of the caps off of the left and right kingpins. We then cleaned the surfaces off of the kingpins.
The next step was probably the longest. Putting the new studs in is no joke if you follow the directions. You are supposed to use motor oil to lube the studs and you need to run them down a minimum of 5 times and then torque them to 110ft lbs. That took a good hour to do all 8 of them.
Next was putting the new high steering arms on and sealing them up.
Next I tried to weld up the cracks that happened on the rotors as a temporary fix. That did not work. The rotor was under so much stress from the lug studs it was cracking the weld. So I guess its new rotors in the morning. Dissapointed in that venture.
With us being as far on the Dana 60 as we could it was time to roll the Jeep in and start breaking her down. By how quick this all went down you'd think we had just done this a few weeks ago....
This was a sureal moment for me. The last stock thing on the CJ5 other than the body and the frame. I know alot of stock lovers out there are really hating this thread but this is what I have always wanted and I didn't have the money to do it to a TJ, YJ, or JK.
Like I said this all happened so fast I really didn't have time to snap as many pictures as I would have liked to. I didn't even get pictures of the rear axles coming out. I was so busy cutting front hangers that I looked up and it was already done.
Here is the stock Dana 30 front coming out. If there are any restores out there that need axles I have a great pair to sell. PM me if interested!
Lastly after everything was cleaned up and we were getting ready to weld it was closing time. So we rolled the new rear in and slid it underneath to see how she is going to look. I am loving every minute of this. I never would have thought we'd be dropping full size axles in the rig this soon. Wished it had been cheaper but I don't know a jeep owner who doesn't wish that!
Now its just time to wait on parts. Buying rotors and u blots in the morning then its back to building this beautiful machine!!!
when you go down that road, what type of tires are you thinking about going with?
Looking great by the way
Probably 37in to 40in. I may go with the hundred dollar man and pick up a set of hummer tires with rims. They are 37 x 12.50 goodyear MTR's. I just don't know quite yet what the right decision will be. Craigslist has been stacked with offroad tires lately. Gas prices I guess
So today I was at it alone. I went and picked up a new set of rotors and had some U Bolts made since Offroad Design wanted to wait to mail them. I'll be mailing those back shortly and asking for a refund. I don't understand why when you tell someone you need something immediately they don't bother to tell you they don't have the item in stock. Shame shame.
Anyways I got the Dana 60 finished today. First was getting the new rotors and hubs back together. I shaved down the parts that cracked my rotors before.
Here is a picture of the new brake bracket on the D60.
Then it was getting the hub and rotor slid back into place.
After that I tightened down the inner nuts to secure the hub.
Then I dropped the calipers and new pads in. Oh imagine that fits like a glove this time. Guy said maybe they might have been the wrong pads. Still waiting on the replacement pair he was supposed to ship.
Last was to put the hubs in! Then I tested them just to make sure they locked and unlocked.