1979 CJ5 Build (Tank Killer) - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1979 CJ5 Build (Tank Killer)

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #181
boarderofsnow
1979 CJ5 

Then we started working on the carrier for the corp 14. Since nothing had changed on it really other than bearings it was pretty close to going back into the same spot as when it came out. We made a few adjustments to the spaners the wrong way of course before we went back the other way and got it right. Gotta love those minutes and hours waisted on something small. One more carrier to go and then I can start putting these back together!

imag0992.jpg  
boarderofsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2011, 09:02 AM   #182
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderofsnow View Post
My girlfriend has all but had enough by this point. So I bought her a BTF tank top to help with the process.
This wouldn't be the JF if someone didn't say "Pics or it didn't happen".
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2011, 09:05 AM   #183
boarderofsnow
1979 CJ5 

One of the last pieces to this puzzle came in this morning. Its a porportioning valve for my brake system. I would recommend at least this piece if not more when going from disc/drums to disc/disc. This will ensure the brake pressure is being distributed evenly from front to back.

I picked this up for about 75 bucks with shipping from The Jeep Guy.
imag0995.jpg  
Unread 05-28-2011, 01:23 AM   #184
boarderofsnow
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
This wouldn't be the JF if someone didn't say "Pics or it didn't happen".

Here you go then. Lol She was nice enough to comply.
img06065.jpg  
Unread 05-28-2011, 01:30 AM   #185
boarderofsnow
1979 CJ5 

While I had some time away from working on the axles I had parts to paint. I did this in the back of my truck bed...lol

Next was removing the seals that were in the back of the hub on the corp 14. That was fun. They really didn't want to leave thier home so I had to get creative.

Then I pressed the new seals in both rear hub assemblys.

From there we mounted the rear caliper brackets.

Next was the hub assembly with rotors.
imag0996.jpg   imag0997.jpg   imag0998.jpg   imag0999.jpg   imag1000.jpg  

Unread 05-28-2011, 01:36 AM   #186
boarderofsnow
1979 CJ5 

I went ahead and got the hub locked back in. This was fun without a hub socket. I would suggest purchasing one. lol

Then with that on and everything in the carrier tightened down we put the newly painted SOLID diff covers on.

After that we mounted the pinion guard on.

I placed both rear calipers on over the rotors.

Here is the 14bolt almost finished.....
imag1001.jpg   imag1002.jpg   imag1004.jpg   imag1005.jpg   imag1003.jpg  

Unread 05-28-2011, 01:41 AM   #187
boarderofsnow
1979 CJ5 

She is going to need a little bit of paint touching up here and there. Still a few more things to do on it before I can close it up.

The Dana 60 unfortunately I am playing the waiting game on shipping. The axle shafts can't finish going back together until I get my U Joints swapped. I should have just taken them to a drive line shop and had them done. If I had did that though how would I learn to change them incase I break one on the trail.....

More to come!
Unread 05-28-2011, 02:26 AM   #188
huntersdad

1985 CJ8 

You may have said, but what rims are you going with since you have to change them with the bolt pattern? Are you changing tires also?

Tim Hamilton

/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)-o-)_)
huntersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2011, 07:57 AM   #189
boarderofsnow
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntersdad View Post
You may have said, but what rims are you going with since you have to change them with the bolt pattern? Are you changing tires also?

I'm going with the same rims I have now. Cheap white walls with an 8 lug pattern. Since I went with those smaller calipers I will be able to fit 15in rims so I don't have to change tires. In the future I will go with 37in to 39in tires. It just wasn't in the budget.
Unread 05-29-2011, 03:04 AM   #190
boarderofsnow
1979 CJ5 

So today was just all full of hurdles. I really wasn't expecting to come into the problems I had today. So listen up anyone out there considering this conversion because these will be the things you encounter that I was not ready for.

It started off light finishing up the 14 Bolt and sliding the axle shafts in. One side had the original metal shim or gasket and the other side didn't. I left it off and hit it with a little sanding paper to clean it up. Then I set a bead of RTV and dropped the shafts in.

Once that was finished I placed the other side in.

I wanted to start on the Dana 60 brackets and disc's and calipers. I first placed the new caliper mounting bracket on and immediately noticed areas that weren't allowing the outer hub to attach to the knuckle. I had to grind those areas down. Wasn't to thrilled about that since these brackets are supposed to be good to go.

Then I went to place the caliper on and noticed this. A metal nub off the bottom of the caliper that won't allow the caliper to seat properly on the bracket.

So I targeted the nub with a grinder and it fit.
imag1006.jpg   imag1010.jpg   imag1009.jpg   imag1011.jpg  
Unread 05-29-2011, 03:09 AM   #191
boarderofsnow
1979 CJ5 

I then noticed something that has really had my blood boiling all day. The front rotors were very difficult to press into the hub with the lug studs. Well on the rotor by every single lug stud was a crack. I still am blown away by this and wonder if anyone else has had this happen. I contacted Shawn Miller about it but have yet to hear back. So if nothing esle I will weld those cracks. Hopefully he will warranty his product.
imag1008.jpg  
Unread 05-29-2011, 03:15 AM   #192
boarderofsnow
1979 CJ5 

The next hurdle I hit was the front brake pads. Out of the two kits that I was sent there were two seperate kinds of pads for the 4 calipers I bought. The one with the part number accross the top of the pads is the right pads for this application. The ones with the part number on the side and the large red X through it are the ones that won't fit. Again this was from Shawn Miller. The problem is the inner pad on the front. It is to large for the application. It either won't go in on the front calipers or it will jam the rear calipers and rotors. So keep that in mind for your conversion. See the part numbers below.
imag1014.jpg   imag1013.jpg  
Unread 05-29-2011, 03:17 AM   #193
boarderofsnow
1979 CJ5 

Finally we raised the 14 Bolt off its temporary home in the shop and threw it on some tires. Its ready to go find its new home in my CJ5. They came out really well.
imag1016.jpg   imag1015.jpg  
Unread 05-29-2011, 09:49 PM   #194
dkbobber
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderofsnow View Post
Alright so I got a little farther on the axles today. Drug them back to the shop after some krylon paint job work. We started with the pinions and removing the bearings. This was done with a press. Here are the two pinions together after they had the bearings pressed off.
What a dereance between the 60 and the 14 bolt pinion gears. wow would love to have a front 14 built. It's looking good I hope you get the brake issue straight.
Unread 05-30-2011, 04:39 AM   #195
boarderofsnow
1979 CJ5 

I ordered my rims today. 4wheelparts.com Rock Crawler Series 82 White Powder 15 x 10, 8 on 6.5 with 2.75 backspace

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Ro..._pn=PCW82-5181

They will stick out more but that just means more stability. Should have those in hopefully before the weekend. Picked up 5 wheels and pro comp lug locks for $405 shipped.

Rolling her in on Wednesday to start the conversion.

Tags
14 bolt , 5.3l vortec , cj5 , dana 60 , turbo 350

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.