Then we started working on the carrier for the corp 14. Since nothing had changed on it really other than bearings it was pretty close to going back into the same spot as when it came out. We made a few adjustments to the spaners the wrong way of course before we went back the other way and got it right. Gotta love those minutes and hours waisted on something small. One more carrier to go and then I can start putting these back together!
One of the last pieces to this puzzle came in this morning. Its a porportioning valve for my brake system. I would recommend at least this piece if not more when going from disc/drums to disc/disc. This will ensure the brake pressure is being distributed evenly from front to back.
I picked this up for about 75 bucks with shipping from The Jeep Guy.
She is going to need a little bit of paint touching up here and there. Still a few more things to do on it before I can close it up.
The Dana 60 unfortunately I am playing the waiting game on shipping. The axle shafts can't finish going back together until I get my U Joints swapped. I should have just taken them to a drive line shop and had them done. If I had did that though how would I learn to change them incase I break one on the trail.....
You may have said, but what rims are you going with since you have to change them with the bolt pattern? Are you changing tires also?
I'm going with the same rims I have now. Cheap white walls with an 8 lug pattern. Since I went with those smaller calipers I will be able to fit 15in rims so I don't have to change tires. In the future I will go with 37in to 39in tires. It just wasn't in the budget.
So today was just all full of hurdles. I really wasn't expecting to come into the problems I had today. So listen up anyone out there considering this conversion because these will be the things you encounter that I was not ready for.
It started off light finishing up the 14 Bolt and sliding the axle shafts in. One side had the original metal shim or gasket and the other side didn't. I left it off and hit it with a little sanding paper to clean it up. Then I set a bead of RTV and dropped the shafts in.
Once that was finished I placed the other side in.
I wanted to start on the Dana 60 brackets and disc's and calipers. I first placed the new caliper mounting bracket on and immediately noticed areas that weren't allowing the outer hub to attach to the knuckle. I had to grind those areas down. Wasn't to thrilled about that since these brackets are supposed to be good to go.
Then I went to place the caliper on and noticed this. A metal nub off the bottom of the caliper that won't allow the caliper to seat properly on the bracket.
I then noticed something that has really had my blood boiling all day. The front rotors were very difficult to press into the hub with the lug studs. Well on the rotor by every single lug stud was a crack. I still am blown away by this and wonder if anyone else has had this happen. I contacted Shawn Miller about it but have yet to hear back. So if nothing esle I will weld those cracks. Hopefully he will warranty his product.
The next hurdle I hit was the front brake pads. Out of the two kits that I was sent there were two seperate kinds of pads for the 4 calipers I bought. The one with the part number accross the top of the pads is the right pads for this application. The ones with the part number on the side and the large red X through it are the ones that won't fit. Again this was from Shawn Miller. The problem is the inner pad on the front. It is to large for the application. It either won't go in on the front calipers or it will jam the rear calipers and rotors. So keep that in mind for your conversion. See the part numbers below.
Alright so I got a little farther on the axles today. Drug them back to the shop after some krylon paint job work. We started with the pinions and removing the bearings. This was done with a press. Here are the two pinions together after they had the bearings pressed off.
What a dereance between the 60 and the 14 bolt pinion gears. wow would love to have a front 14 built. It's looking good I hope you get the brake issue straight.
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][B][SIZE="4"]D Bobber[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]