1979 CJ-7 build help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1979 CJ-7 build help

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 06-22-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
RSfabrications

1979 CJ-7 build help

Im currently building up a cj-7 from the frame up, originally had a 258 in it, but was recently given a 4.3 tbi, was wondering what axles would people consider running?....Also if i do change the axles and need to move the perches, i was wondering to get proper angle should i mount the engine first or after the axles? i kinda need the front axle in to get proper clearance when mounting the engine, ive done swaps in cars before but nothing from ground up so im kinda new to the jeep swaps. any advice will be helpful, ill be posting pics of the build as i can. thanks

RSfabrications is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 09:30 AM   #2
CSP

Axles aren't determined by the engine alone. Tire size, intended use of the vehicle, and driving style all play a part, among other variables.

Mount the engine first keeping in mind firewall clearance, cooling, driveshaft clearance, and steering parts in mind. The axle is about the last thing you need to worry about in relation to the engine placement. It's not a car and there should be plenty of room regarding the axle.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.