1979 CJ 5 Transmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1979 CJ 5 Transmission

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 10-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
Jack1979
1979 CJ5 

1979 CJ 5 Transmission

Good afternoon! I recently purchased a '79 CJ5 that is a huge project. I need to buy a new transmission for it and I do not know where to start! I would like to switch to a 4 or 5 speed. Any thoughts?

Jack1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Why the need for a new tranny and a swap?

Keep in mind you will also need new driveshafts front and rear, new skid plate for any tranny 80 and newer, new bellhouse, and new tcase for any tranny 80 or newer.
Unread 10-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
CSP

Assuming that the OP's has a T150, it would use the same bellhousing as a T176 four speed. Everything else would have to change and the rear driveshaft would be very short. IIRC, John Strenk swapped his T150 for a T176 and documented it.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Which engine do you have? Why the swap?

Fill out your profile and let us give educated answers instead of guessing.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
Jp78cj5
1978 CJ5 

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the project.
Jp78cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
Jack1979
1979 CJ5 

I purchased it without a tranny and was told by local shops that the three speeds are no good. They also said that I would need to modify a few things. I have the original I6 engine.
Unread 11-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
scottg73
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1979 View Post
I purchased it without a tranny and was told by local shops that the three speeds are no good. They also said that I would need to modify a few things. I have the original I6 engine.
My '79 still has the original 3 speed. That's 33 years and counting with a tranny that's "no good"...and it's taken a lot of abuse over the years. It would be nice to have another gear on the highway I guess, but in the offroad I always liked having R and 1st lined up.
scottg73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2012, 04:57 AM   #8
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yeah, the original T-150 is a very tough tranny, it's only shortcoming is it lacks one more gear wich would make it better for offroading because the 1st gear can have a better ratio. But for 90% of the driving you might run into, it works just fine. I ran mine for decades before I swapped. The T-150 is also very short just right for the CJ5

I changed because I went with 33" tires and was to cheap to swap gears in the axles. The little boost in 1st with the T-177 is great along with the better ratio in the Dana 300 t-case.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
scottg73
1979 CJ5 

Not saying I wouldn't switch to a 4 speed if I ever have to replace mine. But I wouldn't rule out a t150 just because someone says they're no good. If you're on a budget and have a huge project you could probably stick one in for next to nothing, free up a little time and cash for other areas, and never have to worry about it again. But if you really want a 4 or 5 speed I guess there's no better time than now.
scottg73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
james04si

1977 CJ5 

Yup original t-150 in mine. For a couple years I ran it with syncro rings that had no teeth left. Basically if you did not shift it just right it would grind and every tranny oil change came out real glittery. I finally decided to rebuild it and couldn't believe that the actual gears were still perfect. Changed syncro rings and threw on a new gasket and have been running grind free for the past 10 years. I don't drive it hard and put it up wet but I don't baby it either. Would be nice to have a lower first but I don't want to have to change other things out to make that happen. Plus when I bought my 258 the guy threw in a spare t-150 for $75.
james04si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #11
ripper5000
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Where are you located? I have a T150 Dana 20 combo sitting here with a transmission rebuild kit you can have, I just want it gone.
I live in VA by the way.
ripper5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #12
Jack1979
1979 CJ5 

I am so glad I checked! I love in Arizona. A bit far away or I would pick it up in a second! Thank you for all of the input. Im glad I asked!
Unread 11-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #13
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Like others have posted, the T-150 is no slouch. My '77 has one behind the 6 and I explore with it comfortably and have been for years. I have 31" tires a 3.54 rear end and what I do miss is a 4th. But even with my three, I approach 65mph and can hold it there. Granted I'm an old man, but I'm not so sure I'd be comfortable going faster in a narrow track Jeep.

So if all that's holding you back from rolling is a transmission and one becomes available for a great price, consider it.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cj5 , newbie , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.