1979 Cj-5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1979 Cj-5

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-16-2002, 08:59 AM   #1
J-Train

1979 Cj-5

I'm looking at purchasing a 79 cj-5 V8. Anybody have any input or suggestions on what to look for?

J-Train is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2002, 11:45 AM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Hi, where at in VA? Jeeps around here are famous for skin cancer (rust). A little rust is acceptable but you don't want to buy a Jeep with terminal cancer unless you plan on swapping out the tub. I'd give the frame a good looking over (especially around the spring mounts.. for cracks). If it has a lift and bigger tires, I'd give the steering a check (check steering box mounting, tie rods). Have someone get in while vehicle is sitting still and turn lock to lock while you watch steering components. Check the fluids looking for anything out of the ordinary (oil in the coolant or vice versa). See if engine has been warmed up prior to you getting there (might be a sign of a rough running engine when it's cold). Fire it up and listen for knocking, also watch for excessive blow by coming out of the PCV system. Look for excessive leaks from engine, tranny, transfer case. See if you can wiggle the driveshafts (looking for any slop that might mean bad ujoints). See if there's excessive slop in the differential yokes (might indicate bad bearings, worn gears). See if all the lights, horn, wipers..etc work... remember, here in VA we gotta pass inspection and all that stuff has to work (including defroster and parking brake). Write down all the stuff you see wrong with the Jeep. Figure out how much it's gonna cost to fix it.. double that figure and you'll be close... Take a disinterested 3rd party with you when you go look at any vehicel because they'll see all the shortcomings..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2002, 11:52 AM   #3
J-Train

Thanks for the help!! I'm taking a third party (Jeep Owner) with me as I am not much of a mechanic. Just looking for something to tool around with and do a little off-roading. I appreciate your input! I will take all those things into consideration.

By the way, I live in Lynchburg, the Jeep is in Big Island

Last edited by J-Train; 12-16-2002 at 11:55 AM..
J-Train is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.