1978 CJ7 Wish I bought a Tow Rig Buildish Thread? Warning lots of pics! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1978 CJ7 Wish I bought a Tow Rig Buildish Thread? Warning lots of pics!

KrawlOff-Road.com now Carries Iron Rock Off Road!!!!!Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-21-2015, 11:07 PM   #1
jarrodblake
1997 LJ Wrangler 

1978 CJ7 Wish I bought a Tow Rig Buildish Thread? Warning lots of pics!

I'm finally back into a 7, well for now I picked up a 1978 CJ7 a few weeks ago. It has a remanufactured 258 and original drive train. The 7 was mostly stock when I picked it up other then the new engine it also came with a half installed painless wiring harness, headmen 2 piece header, rebuilt carb, and a steel horse hardtop and hard doors. So far I have rebuild the steering column, replaced the battery box, deleted the charcoal canister and hoses. Did an HEI upgrade and started de rusting it.

The plan for now is to get it drive able and be used as a bad weather vehicle, until I finish my other project. After my other project is finished I plan on stretching the tub and frame to CJ8 length, convert to full width axles, ether do a 3 link set up front and rear or radius arms front a rear. I have run both in the past and I like the feel of and simplicity of radius arms on the road where it will spend most of its time, that said I will see a few trails.

My goal for now is to fix the rust and and only what is needed to drive it. So my build is going to start off slow...

This is my last jeep I plan to build this jeep the same was only longer.

This is kinda what I would to do with the tub.

The jeep the day I picked it up.

Steering column rebuild

I wired wheeled it but did not take a pic

I ended up installing a new switch no pic

Started cleaning up the fire wall and installed a new battery tray

jarrodblake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2015, 11:07 PM   #2
jarrodblake
1997 LJ Wrangler 

Also installed a HEI

pic beside the other project that I need to finish before I start my build.

MHM rust

New solenoid it finally runs!

Where I am today I'm going to remove the tub to replace the floor pans rear taillight panels and rear valance so I started to take it apart.

Bondo

Unread 05-22-2015, 10:00 AM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Did you get it cheap?
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2015, 10:06 PM   #4
jarrodblake
1997 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Did you get it cheap?
I got a good deal on it, I knew It had rust and that did not bother me, its the bondo that I can stand!
Unread 05-23-2015, 12:04 AM   #5
holliewood61
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Whats the other project? Looks kinda like a 911. Looks like you have a miata there as well. Correction, a couple miatas. I didnt notice the white one first time through
81 CJ7 very little stock
60 CJ5 tore down
holliewood61 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2015, 12:28 AM   #6
jarrodblake
1997 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliewood61 View Post
Whats the other project? Looks kinda like a 911
It is, 1970 911E rust bucket that i'm converting to mid engine. I sold the unlimited to fund the build but parts are super hard to find and super expensive. So i'm stuck at the moment until I find a few key parts before I can resume the build. I hoping to fix all the rust on the 7 in the next two weeks and get it on the road.
Unread 05-24-2015, 09:10 PM   #7
jarrodblake
1997 LJ Wrangler 

made a little more progress on it removed the driver front floor pan and finshed stripping the tub down and got it on the rotisserie.

Unread 05-25-2015, 03:36 AM   #8
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Subscribed
contdevelop is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.