1978 CJ7 w/ 304 & 3spd questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1978 CJ7 w/ 304 & 3spd questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-25-2002, 03:20 PM   #1
Edge

1978 CJ7 w/ 304 & 3spd questions

A Jeep shop has a '76 CJ7 for sale. It has recent paint and body restoration work, a 304, and a recently rebuilt 3-spd manual tranny. That's about all I know about it. The price seems nice though..

I had some questions about the tranny and the 304. I'm looking for a Jeep mainly for weekend use, mostly on road or on easy trails. No hard-core wheeling.

What are your thoughts about the 304 and the 3-spd. I'm used to 5 & 6 spd's, so I don't know what I would do with a 3 speed. Is the 304 going to be okay for street use, or is it going to give me 8 miles to the gallon?

Anything to watch out for on the 78's? (aside from the usual things to look for on an old Jeep .. i.e. rust).

Thanks in advance for the info.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2002, 07:14 PM   #2
Jeep CJ5

Hey there,

I have a 1974 CJ-5. Just know the Jeep you are buying is an old Jeep. I think this Jeep will be more of a toy than a newer Jeep.I think my CJ-5 is wonderful but I admit I do drive it on a very limited basis.

The three speed is quite a care free transmission. By saying that I mean...the gears are very wide. So obviously much less shifting that the 4 or 5 speeds. The ratios on that transmission are 3.00, 1.83, 1.00 Reverse 1....this is opposed to a 4 spd T-18 with a first gear of 4.00 or 6.32 to 1.

For serious off roading you would want the ultra low first gear of the T-18 but I think for what you want the T-14 should be fine.

Now....gas mileage...what can I say? It is not good! But I do love the power of my 304. The Jeep is a tiny vehicle and the 304 has more than enough power to make her get up and go. I have raised the compression by 1 pt to 9.5 to 1 and put a little bit more cam in it. But I also run the stock carb and exhaust manifolds.

Be careful if the Jeep was used for plowing. There almost certainly be cracks by the front of the frame. There can be fixed but that should be reflected in the price.

Good luck.......

Some other sites to lk at Jeeps for sale:

http://www.austinjeeps.com

http://www.toyboxjeeps.com

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.