1978 cj7 problem going int 4 wheel drive - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1978 cj7 problem going int 4 wheel drive

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-24-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
extremecj7
1978 CJ7 

1978 cj7 problem going int 4 wheel drive

When I first received my cj7 I trioed the 4x4 out and it dident seem to work then a few weeks ago I tried it out again and it worked tried it last night couldent get it to engage I locked the front and put the lever in 4hi and I tried low any tips greatly apritiated .............................

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

http://www.myspace.com/extreme540i
extremecj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
j33pman
1984 CJ7 

is this a quadratrac?

If so check your vacuum lines
http://www.schohariecountyjeepclub.org
j33pman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
extremecj7
1978 CJ7 

How would I know if its a quadra trac thanks

Unread 12-24-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Well at least you filled out your Jeep profile, so we can get a little bit of info there. 304 with a 3 speed, any idea what TC you have? I'll start by asking are you moving or sitting still when you are trying to shift?

Give MORE info.
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2008, 11:44 AM   #5
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

2x's on moving or sitting. Helps sometimes to moving a little forward while trying to engage 4wheel drive. Also helps sometimes to have tranny shifted into neutral and clutch engaged. Just a thought.

77' CJ-7 84' CJ-7 83' Chevy K10
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2008, 12:19 PM   #6
extremecj7
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
2x's on moving or sitting. Helps sometimes to moving a little forward while trying to engage 4wheel drive. Also helps sometimes to have tranny shifted into neutral and clutch engaged. Just a thought.

I tried it parked with clutch in then went forwarrd then backwads that dident help

I heard I should try keeping it in 1 let the clutch out and then move the shifter into 4x4 they said it might syncronize ....

And I'm not possitive what tc I have I just looked online quick maybee a dana 20 does that make sense thanks

Unread 12-24-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
JavaTee
1979 CJ5 

Make sure your shifter boot isn't interfering with the attempt of pulling it into 4wd. When I had a Dana 20 tc (your photo shows locking hubs, and you mentioned 'shifting' - so it sounds like you have a Dana 20), usually I would roll a little bit, tranny in gear, clutch petal pushed, and I would give the lever a slight 'push' or 'pull', then sometimes swear, and attempt it again. Typically the swearing factor would help it engage.
Later, T.J.
JavaTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2008, 10:14 PM   #8
extremecj7
1978 CJ7 

Thanks for all your input today I was out testing everyones theories and I paid a little more attention to the t.c shifter and noticed it would slowly creep back into 2 wheel drive.... I might have to cut the floor a lil so it pulls back more that might help ........BUT NEW PROBLEM before today I was driving the jeep in 4 lo with out the hubs locked wich isn't a bad thing but I started to drive with it in 2 wheel drive on the t.c and it makes a whinning noise and pops out so I just stuck it in 4 low it doesn't wine in their and it doesn't feel like it pulling back ....so is that a bad desicion to keep the t.c in 4 lol with the front end in 2 wheel ...thanks again I'd be lost with out my fellow jeepers ..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.