Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

1978 cj7 problem going int 4 wheel drive

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  extremecj7 
#1 ·
When I first received my cj7 I trioed the 4x4 out and it dident seem to work then a few weeks ago I tried it out again and it worked tried it last night couldent get it to engage I locked the front and put the lever in 4hi and I tried low any tips greatly apritiated .............................

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

#4 ·
Well at least you filled out your Jeep profile, so we can get a little bit of info there. 304 with a 3 speed, any idea what TC you have? I'll start by asking are you moving or sitting still when you are trying to shift?

Give MORE info.

#5 ·
2x's on moving or sitting. Helps sometimes to moving a little forward while trying to engage 4wheel drive. Also helps sometimes to have tranny shifted into neutral and clutch engaged. Just a thought.

#6 ·
I tried it parked with clutch in then went forwarrd then backwads that dident help

I heard I should try keeping it in 1 let the clutch out and then move the shifter into 4x4 they said it might syncronize ....

And I'm not possitive what tc I have I just looked online quick maybee a dana 20 does that make sense thanks

#7 ·
Make sure your shifter boot isn't interfering with the attempt of pulling it into 4wd. When I had a Dana 20 tc (your photo shows locking hubs, and you mentioned 'shifting' - so it sounds like you have a Dana 20), usually I would roll a little bit, tranny in gear, clutch petal pushed, and I would give the lever a slight 'push' or 'pull', then sometimes swear, and attempt it again. Typically the swearing factor would help it engage.
Later, T.J.

#8 ·
Thanks for all your input today I was out testing everyones theories and I paid a little more attention to the t.c shifter and noticed it would slowly creep back into 2 wheel drive.... I might have to cut the floor a lil so it pulls back more that might help ........BUT NEW PROBLEM before today I was driving the jeep in 4 lo with out the hubs locked wich isn't a bad thing but I started to drive with it in 2 wheel drive on the t.c and it makes a whinning noise and pops out so I just stuck it in 4 low it doesn't wine in their and it doesn't feel like it pulling back ....so is that a bad desicion to keep the t.c in 4 lol with the front end in 2 wheel ...thanks again I'd be lost with out my fellow jeepers ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.