1978 CJ7, the new love of my life! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1978 CJ7, the new love of my life!

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #16
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg79CJ7304 View Post
Dude, really that's the best response you have. Damn....
Yes.....he just bought it....take it back. It has to have some kind of short term warranty. Why should he pick up the tab? Why not see if the "used car dealer" will cover whats wrong? It worth a try at least isn't it?

Hugs and Kisses

85LaredoCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #17
dariopop
1980 CJ7 

78CJ7_MBR,
Just noticed on one of your pix's of the engine that your fuel filter is up-side down. The line going to the carb should be on the bottom and the return fuel outlet should be on the top, this filter almost acts like a fuel regulator , when fuel backs up from the carb it goes back to the return line on top. What could be happening is with the carb feed line on top it could be starving your carb of gas, may want to check it out
Unread 06-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #18
78CJ7_MBR
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariopop View Post
78CJ7_MBR,
Just noticed on one of your pix's of the engine that your fuel filter is up-side down. The line going to the carb should be on the bottom and the return fuel outlet should be on the top, this filter almost acts like a fuel regulator , when fuel backs up from the carb it goes back to the return line on top. What could be happening is with the carb feed line on top it could be starving your carb of gas, may want to check it out
no kidding, i was told it was upside down, but didnt know it would make such a big difference. although, i have driven it quite a bit today, and it ran just fine. But thanks for that Dariopop, so i just switch the hoses with the nipples on the filter?

Last edited by 78CJ7_MBR; 06-07-2011 at 04:24 PM..
78CJ7_MBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #19
alljagged24
1985 CJ7 

I didnt see the fuel filter pics, but if u look. At the carb side of the filter , the nipple closest to the edge of the. Filter Should be @ the 12 o clock position with the return line attached to it
alljagged24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #20
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

great looking Jeep
my old 84 never looked that good when it was new.

Stopping problem: just keep up with what you do, most often it will be some small problem and you will wonder why it took you so long to find it.

***might take a (jeep dude) with you on the next ride, if it quits again let him jump out and check some things out for you, as you try to start the motor. example (fuel getting to carb, fire at plugs, etc:

heads up, you will find the problem.
again great looking jeep.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2011, 05:54 PM   #21
Alby63
1982 CJ5 

Nice Jeep! Turn your fuel filter so the return to the tank is above the line to carb. Also check your ubolts on rear axle. They look like they may be loose. My jeeps PO installed a lift kit in the jeep and never rechecked the ubolts. When I disassembled it to restore it, the axle had 1/8" grooves in it.
Unread 06-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #22
Alby63
1982 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78CJ7_MBR View Post
no kidding, i was told it was upside down, but didnt know it would make such a big difference. although, i have driven it quite a bit today, and it ran just fine. But thanks for that Dariopop, so i just switch the hoses with the nipples on the filter?
The nipple in the center goes to the carb. The offset one goes to the return line and gets positioned above the carb line.
Unread 06-07-2011, 06:32 PM   #23
78CJ7_MBR
1978 CJ7 

alright, just finished repositioning the fuel filter, drove around for about 20 minutes without an incident. Ill be able to know for sure in the next couple days if that was it or not. but in the meantime i will check the rear ubolts. good eye Alby63, and thanks for the in depth description of fuel filter and hoses. I dont know what i would i do without you guys or this forum. Thanks for everything so far, im sure i will end up having more questions in the near future. I plan on doing some upgrading as soon as i get the issues as of now worked out. Thanks again for all the help so far!
Unread 06-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #24
dariopop
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby63 View Post
The nipple in the center goes to the carb. The offset one goes to the return line and gets positioned above the carb line.
Unread 06-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #25
78CJ7_MBR
1978 CJ7 

Thanks for the catching that fuel filter issue Dario and thanks for the walk-through on how to correct it Alby. Since the fix, she has ran like champ. not the slightest sputter or hiccup and its all thanks to you guys. Now im going to start working on this back drum brake, getting the cylinder replaced.

Also, i just went out and bought a propane torch to heat the pinion nut up, since im replacing the seals im not worried about melting anything. my only concern with hitting it with a torch is the fact that the gas tank is only 8inches above it... would it be smarter to pull the axle out first or is the gas tank not really an issue? i dont smell any fumes under it and the tank is brand new, but im still slightly skeptical, not a big fan of blowin myself up.
Unread 06-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #26
dariopop
1980 CJ7 

78CJ7_MBR,
Anytime I do anything that sparks near a gas tank I make sure the tank is
FULLY filled if I can't remove it. In this case with no sparks flying I would fill the tank to full so no room for vapors and then use a heat blanket or a wet towels . Keep the torch pointed away from the tank and you should be ok. Heating the nut you will be OK, welding with sparks flying is another story. Just remember its the empty space with fumes that makes it a bomb , not the liquid gas. I have 3 fire extinguishers in my garage plus one in every car. Make sure you have one handy , personally I would do it out in the driveway away from my garage.
006.jpg  
Unread 06-09-2011, 04:53 AM   #27
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

If your that concerned you can use the exact opposite.. Cold.......
http://www.crcindustries.com/files/F...20Brochure.pdf

Another option is heat does not work, but usually does, is to heat the nut really good, then use a can of compressed air, (used for cleaning computers) turn it upside down and spray the bolt, I think itis freon but not sure, and it is none flameable. What this does it when you heat the nut you expand the metal.. then you freeze the bolt which strinks the metal of the bolt. Works really well.
waterdowg is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #28
78CJ7_MBR
1978 CJ7 

hey thats a good idea with that Freeze-Off penetrant. I'll have give it a try. Also, I think the sputter and hiccups are back.
Unread 06-13-2011, 04:07 PM   #29
78CJ7_MBR
1978 CJ7 

so i took the carb completely apart, cleaned it, and put it back together, re-tuned it, and i haven't had a sputter issue for about 3 days now. I think that before, with the fuel filter being upside down, the carb was straining to get enough fuel, and after switching the fuel filter upright, it was getting too much fuel causing it to run like its being constantly choked. But now, since the filter is set right, and the carb was cleaned and re-tuned, it runs great and has for about 3 or 4 days.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.