1978 CJ7, the new love of my life! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1978 CJ7, the new love of my life!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-06-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
78CJ7_MBR
1978 CJ7 

1978 CJ7, the new love of my life!

So i just recently traded my 1999 Mustang GT for the new love of my life, a 1978 CJ7. She's got the 4.2L 258 I6 and a rebuilt carb. Not my first jeep, as i owned a 97 TJ a few years back, but it got totaled while sitting in front of a house while parked on the highway. Anyways, I was wanting another Jeep BAD, the stang was a quick buy cause i had to have another vehicle and honestly, speed isn't really my thrill so i grew to dislike the car. So after 2 years of ownership of the mustang, I decided it was time to get another Jeep. I spent a few weeks looking, and a used dealership owner who was helping me find one, called me up one day and said, "Mike, just got a jeep in on a trade and i think its exactly what your looking for." So i hopped in the car and sped away to meet him, and as i pull into the dealership, sitting out in front to me was like seeing an angel with its illuminating glow, and choir "ahhh" sound, was love at first sight.

So after a quick test drive and some inspection of engine and tranny, the title was signed, the mustang was gone, and i drove away the happiest person on earth, I had gotten my pride and joy back.

I think its the original tub, with some bondo and second paint job, i believe original color was yellow, as there is some yellow paint on some chipped areas of the hood hinge bolt heads, and on the firewall under the dash, behind the ventilation system for the heater. Shes got a bed lined interior, a chrome knob and gauge plate on the dash, a tuffy lock-box console, and a custom aluminum tool box which the back seat mounts to, pretty freakin cool!

Shes got a 258 I6 with the 3spd T-150. original Dana 30 front, Dana 20 transfer case, and AMC 20 rear 2-piece. I will be upgrading this with a one piece eventually. the tires are 31" with 15" wheels, and its got a Rancho suspension lift, not sure how much exactly, but i believe its 2.5" of lift. The top cant be but just a couple years old if that.

So that being said.....

After bringing her home the first night, i replaced the basics, plugs, wires, rotor, dist. cap, etc. It has a leak in the rear differential, pinion seal, got the new part, but i cannot for the life of me get the darn nut off that holds the yoke on. i have tried 2 different 1/2 inch impact wrenches and all my weight and strength on a breaker bar with pipe extensions, and it DOESN'T BUDGE! any ideas on what the heck i should do?

Anyways, i noticed about a week ago that right after start up, after i reached the exit of my neighborhood addition and was coasting up to the stop sign, she started to sputter, run really rough, sounds like it misses and backfires once, then dies. I turn the key to start it back up, no problem, runs like a charm. a few days later, it does it again, start it back up and no issues. then tonight on my drive home from my girlfriends, it ran terrible the entire way. sounded like she was running on 5 or 4 cylinders at times just hiccuping the entire way, even had to pull over once cause it was running so bad. Goin down the road, every once in a while it would get a little too rough and i would put it neutral, shut it off and start her again and she would run ok for a qtr mile or so then back to the chokes and hiccups. I read on other threads that it could be the autolite plugs, which i just happened to replace the old ones with a set of new autolites. Didn't happen until after i put them in. so im assuming its them and they will be replaced ASAP.

Oh also, i had just replaced the ignition module too, the old one just so happened to crap out on me after a few days of purchase. would this have anything to with it?

also a slight mysterious oil leak, nothing bad, not really any drips after being parked so im assuming it burns it or only leaks when running and under pressure.

Also, i believe that the rear, passenger side, brake cylinder took a crap also, cause i can push the pedal all the way to floor and just have to pump her up a few times before coming to a stop. There is some tell tale brake fluid leakage on the inside of the drum which leads me to my assumption. I'll pull that tire off tomorrow and make positive that's what it is.

Other than those few issues, she is a dream come true, something i can build up and make my own. I will take more pictures tomorrow of the interior and under the hood.

Can anybody help me with the leaks and the pinion nut?? Also, it seems i cannot post any pictures due to my limited membership, so if someone would like to host them for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the link to my pictures: http://s1214.photobucket.com/albums/...07/1978%20CJ7/

Last edited by 78CJ7_MBR; 06-07-2011 at 04:29 PM..
78CJ7_MBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
85LaredoCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Sounds like you need to take it back to the used car dealer....
85LaredoCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
Gregg79CJ7304
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85LaredoCJ7 View Post
Dude, really that's the best response you have. Damn....
Gregg79CJ7304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 11:55 PM   #4
Gregg79CJ7304
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85LaredoCJ7 View Post
Now I see your from AZ as well, wow
Gregg79CJ7304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2011, 12:06 AM   #5
78CJ7_MBR
1978 CJ7 

look, im asking for constructive advice on how to fix this, please.

anyways, heres a link to some photos on photobucket.com.

http://s1214.photobucket.com/albums/...07/1978%20CJ7/
Unread 06-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #6
smoothop
1978 CJ7 

the rear end looks like its a glass tub
Unread 06-07-2011, 12:19 AM   #7
cjfarmer
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothop View Post
the rear end looks like its a glass tub
I was just about to say, I dont think thats the original. There's no tailgate.
cjfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2011, 05:15 AM   #8
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

maybe it was welded closed. Nice jeep man, looks sweet!
supersport126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2011, 05:46 AM   #9
mojo_matic
1980 CJ5 

Nice CJ!!!

You came to the right place.

Regarding the plugs, I have always understood that Champion is the default for AMC engines. Make sure your gap is correct.

Oil leak... check valve cover and oil pan by default.

Ignition options... I know people get panties in a twist when it is suggested that they do a search, but there is TONS on information and options for you to consider. It wouldn't do you any justice to just state, "DO THIS."
mojo_matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #10
mtbtweety

1982 CJ8 

Nice!!
mtbtweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #11
78CJ7_MBR
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersport126 View Post
maybe it was welded closed. Nice jeep man, looks sweet!
correct, PO welded it shut. not a bad job at all either, its seamless on the outside but the inside still has the latch flanges and the creases going down either side.

And i know after reading the story it sounds like heap of crap for a jeep, but once you actually see it, its a rather nice CJ. Thanks. more pictures coming soon
Unread 06-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #12
dariopop
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78CJ7_MBR View Post
look, im asking for constructive advice on how to fix this, please.

anyways, heres a link to some photos on photobucket.com.

OK ,
1) Put the old items ( plugs,cap,rotor ext ) back on and see if it runs OK, Did you replace your fuel filter?
2) rear differential, pinion seal. try some heat
3) brake cylinder took a crap , New one $22.00 Autozone
4)also a slight mysterious oil leak, nothing bad, not really any drips after being parked , Where is it leaking from? Mine turned out to be the valve cover " easy fix "

Check out what I had to replace on mine:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/al...heavy-1039658/
After you get it running it looks like your going to have a real nice Jeep ,good luck.
Unread 06-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #13
sgtbookie
2005 LJ Wrangler 

That is one great looking Jeep! Any shots under the hood? I agree with Dario, try to go back to your original parts and see if that helps. Once you know it is running ok I would highly recommend searching out the "Team Rush" upgrade threads. Tons of ignition upgrades that even this beginner was able to dig into a few years back, and they will really wake up the 4.2.

As for the leaks, with the engine cold, get in there and clean her up with some degreaser if needed. that will help you id where the leaks are coming from.

- 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara #380 -
sgtbookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #14
1983 CJ7 

Nice

Welcome to JF

Unread 06-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #15
78CJ7_MBR
1978 CJ7 

Just added more shots of under the hood and interior.

Thanks 243 for hosting that picture.

Also, i swapped everything except the old plugs back in, took her for a drive and after a half hour she did it again. so i put the new parts back on, and snapped a few shots. Hope you like.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.