1978 CJ7 Electric ignition switch wiring ID - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1978 CJ7 Electric ignition switch wiring ID

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 08-22-2013, 05:45 AM   #1
Webb78cj7
1978 CJ7 

1978 CJ7 Electric ignition switch wiring ID

Hello, I am in need of desperate help. I have checked everywhere on the internet, and ths is my last resort. Last time I cranked my jeep, I noticed the tumbler felt weird. It had slipped out of the plastic gear that moves the actuator rod. Well, I replaced the tumbler, and the electric switch down close to the firewall on the steering column. Exact same thing happened. I can feel the tumbler move the switch, but it's slipping off the plastic gear. Everything I searched shows that plastic gear was only made for cj's 84-86. I know it's not the factory column, PO moved it over to auto from manual.

My main concern now is, giving up on using the tumbler at all. I'm going to put in some toggle switches, with a push start. I need help identifying the wires that goto the electric switch. Here is how they are plugged in:

The white plug has:
2 thick yellow wires that go in same connector

black/white stripe, red/white stripe go in same connector; the red and white has a break in it from the fuse panel. I haven't checked to see if it's a fuse or what yet.

Thick Red wire

Light Blue wire- I'm pretty sure this is the starter wire. It's supposed to goto a neutral safety switch, which is not on the jeep. The jeep still cranks as if there is one. Maybe PO has mounted it somewhere I can't find. It's not on or near steering column.
==========================================

The black plug has:
black wire

red/white stripe wire

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out of those, obviously I need to tie into a main batt power, and I would think both of the small wires that goto my solenoid. the "I" and "s", the S is a red and white, and the I is a light blue.

Also, if any of you have done a push start, some input on best method or practice would be appreciated. I have bought everything that I can think of already; switches, push start, wire, in line fuses, etc.

Here is a link to what I am wanting to do; just wrong wire colors.

http://markism.net/jeep_ignition.html

Webb78cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.