1978 CJ7 304 V8 MC2100 Carb Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1978 CJ7 304 V8 MC2100 Carb Problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 11-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
CJ7ville
1978 CJ7 

1978 CJ7 304 V8 MC2100 Carb Problems

I have a 1978 CJ 7, with a 304 V8. I believe it has a MC2100 Carb, when i started it today it all of the sudden runs like crap, i took the breather off to find after running for ten sec the two large holes on top starting to bubble fuel which then ran down in bowl....flooded it out!!! Is this a stuck float?

CJ7ville is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ville View Post
Is this a stuck float?
That would be my first guess, and I would start there.

That model engine should have a newer carb that should have an overflow line (and not the two holes) that connect to the canister, but it could have been changed. (but should still work fine.)

As well, there is a possibility that the fuel filter just before the carb has been changed. The filter should have one input (from the fuel pump) and two outlets, the large one going to the carb and the smaller is fuel return line (smaller diameter) that goes back to the fuel tank. The fuel filter should be positioned so that the return line is directly above the discharge line. While it is a complete shot inthe dark, that could contribute to the problem.
h2ogun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
CJ7ville
1978 CJ7 

Thank You for the great info!
Unread 11-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
CJ5_Fan
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ville View Post
I have a 1978 CJ 7, with a 304 V8. I believe it has a MC2100 Carb, when i started it today it all of the sudden runs like crap, i took the breather off to find after running for ten sec the two large holes on top starting to bubble fuel which then ran down in bowl....flooded it out!!! Is this a stuck float?
Prior to this incident, did it run correctly? If yes, and you didnt do any mods to it, then I would not worry about having something hooked up incorrctly and would focus on the operation of the carb itself. If no, then you may have issues elsewhere.

Click HERE to check out my CJ5 restoration project page
CJ5_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 05:17 AM   #5
CJ7ville
1978 CJ7 

It ended up being stuck float!
Unread 11-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #6
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

HA! I have the same issue on one of my Jeeps here. Is doing the same thing. Float being stuck was one of my first things to check. But I may have water in my tank as well. Glad your Jeep's back in service.

77' CJ-7 83' Chevy K10
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.