1978 cj5 fuel gauge - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1978 cj5 fuel gauge

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #1
sgtusmc_nc
1978 CJ5 

1978 cj5 fuel gauge

new to the jeep forum, ive got a 1978 jeep cj5 with 304 v8. the previous owner replaced the gas tank with what he said was a high capacity tank. the fuel gauge now only reads the top half? I know with my old 71 bronco if you changed the fuel capacity tank size you had to get a larger sending unit or you could try bending the sending unit rod? am I on the right track any suggestions would be great.

sgtusmc_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

There is an arm that has a float on it, when the arm hits the bottom set point it reads as empty. It needs to be re calibrated if you have a tank of a different depth from factory
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
sgtusmc_nc
1978 CJ5 

How do you re calibrate it?
Unread 09-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtusmc_nc
How do you re calibrate it?
I have vdo gauges and you actually adjust by depth and cut the excess. The factory senders are made probably for the 15 gallon. Your best option would be to find the right sender for your size tank. They make them for the deeper tanks...you will want one made for your jeep because the sender also has the fuel nipples on it. I would say buy a universal sender but you will have to have 2 holes in your tank.

15, 20 and 21 gallon jeep senders

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-fu...-scrambler.htm
Unread 09-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
sgtusmc_nc
1978 CJ5 

Cool thanks
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:09 AM   #6
sgtusmc_nc
1978 CJ5 

ok, the previous owner told me the tank is a 15 gallon tank with original sender he beleives, the sender only reads the top half of the tank, IE fill the tank up and gauge shows full when the gauge reads empty you are actually only at half a tank? Im assuming this is not an electrical problem but that I need to either calibrate the sender arm or i have a defective sender?
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:23 AM   #7
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtusmc_nc
ok, the previous owner told me the tank is a 15 gallon tank with original sender he beleives, the sender only reads the top half of the tank, IE fill the tank up and gauge shows full when the gauge reads empty you are actually only at half a tank? Im assuming this is not an electrical problem but that I need to either calibrate the sender arm or i have a defective sender?
It could still be an electrical issue because the sender is electrical. Check out John Strenk's links on gauges...he is the electrical guru...he has the exact readings you should have on the sender and explains the dash side readings as well...
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #8
sgtusmc_nc
1978 CJ5 

thank you

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.