1978 Cj5 304 V8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1978 Cj5 304 V8

Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic HalogFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-20

Unread 03-14-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
jeepster2
1978 CJ5 

1978 Cj5 304 V8

I just pick it up today. Runs great. It's bone stock. Where do I start. Lots of play in the steering?

Last edited by jeepster2; 03-15-2009 at 03:54 PM..
jeepster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
scottymac62
1977 CJ5 

Let's see some pics! If it's bone stock I would stay that way with a 1978 CJ-5. Since you say it's stock I assume that it has no lift on it? If that's the case I would say that your steering box is probably tired and needs replacing or rebuilt. You might want to check your ball joints as well as the rest of your steering parts. If it has standard steering on it you may want to look into upgrading to power steering. It's an easy upgrade and well worth it.
You didn't state which engine it has in it although you stated that it runs great so you may not need any help there.

Last edited by scottymac62; 03-15-2009 at 06:24 PM..
scottymac62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds familier
pics
Unread 03-14-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Same place I tell EVERY NEW OWNER to start...

With a 5 Pound dry chemical fire extingusher,
Extensive first aid kit,
If you intend to wheel it, get a windshield hoop and 'Halo' bars in ASAP.
Good seat belts (not necessary full harness, depends on what kind of driving you do) but shoulder strap is a GOOD thing!

Worry about tires, wheels, lift, ect. after it's SAFE!
You can have LOTS of Jeeps if you are ALIVE!

Next thing I would do is get the steering box looked at!
Rebuilt units aren't too bad...
If I were doing it, I'd use a later FSJ (Full Size Jeep) steering box, they are VARIABLE RATE boxes instead of that single rate thing Jeeps came with, and they will bolt right in depending on year you snatch it from...
(Since it has to be changed anyway, and the price is the same!)

Next thing I would do is a FULL SERVICE!
You have NO IDEA when, or even IF...
the oil, transmission fluid, transfer case, differentials, ect. where checked/changed!

Then I'd do common maintenance...
Check/Repack wheel bearings, check brake pads, rotor, shoes/drums, wheel seals, ect.

You get familiar with your 'Heep' and it gets what will be some SORELY NEEDED TLC!

Then do ignition/carb tune up. No such thing as a '78 not needing a tune up!
(Tune up can wait, dry transmission or wheel bearings can't!)

Just ask around here for anything you don't already know how to do, we will be GLAD to help you out....

AND WELCOME to the mental illness we call 'CJ Ownership'!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
jeepster2
1978 CJ5 

Ok, its got power steering and power brakes. I tried uploading pics, but it says my format is unacceptable? I'm using jpeg? I'm using a coolpix camera? I don't understand it? Need help. This jeep is so much fun to drive. I can't wait to get it registered on Monday.
Unread 03-15-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
jeepster2
1978 CJ5 

JEEPHAMMER. Thanks good advise, and I'm taking my Jeep to my mechanic. I do have receipts for $3,700 work done on this jeep less than a year ago. I got the fever. Just like when I bought my first Harley Davidson Road King. Hard to believe this 31 year old motor runs so well. It looks like hell, but no leaks so far. It's weird looking engine with lots of hoses and tubing. I haven't fooled with an engine like this in many years. I tried to upload pic, but it says it doesn't like the format. I'm using jped too? Need help. Thanks Jeephammer, or can I say it's Hammer Time!
Unread 03-15-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
jeepster2
1978 CJ5 

Hey Scottly and BCA. Thanks for your comments. Pics to follow after I figure it out. It doesn't like my format? Not sure what's up with that. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys.
Unread 03-15-2009, 03:57 PM   #8
scottymac62
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster2 View Post
Hey Scottly and BCA. Thanks for your comments. Pics to follow after I figure it out. It doesn't like my format? Not sure what's up with that. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys.
This forum won't let you upload pics until you have like 50 post's or more. You can always use another source to upload your pics and paste the link in your thread. Or you could PM them to me, and I'll be glad to do it for you.
Unread 03-15-2009, 04:50 PM   #9
jeepster2
1978 CJ5 

50 Posts!

HOLY COW! 50 posts. I don't know if I can come up with many. Maybe in a few months or so. Can I e-mail them to you?
Jeepster2
Unread 03-15-2009, 04:56 PM   #10
scottymac62
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
HOLY COW! 50 posts. I don't know if I can come up with many. Maybe in a few months or so. Can I e-mail them to you?
Jeepster2
Sure! I just sent you a PM with my email address
Unread 03-15-2009, 06:04 PM   #11
TBrock
1986 CJ7 

Not to hijack but I thought it was 25 posts to picture freedom? Or buying a membership
Default Jeeper #68
MilitaryJeeper.com
TBrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2009, 06:14 PM   #12
franknstn_cj5
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The rules state 50, but I could at 10, because I started off here doing a build thread, so i think they realized that I wasn't some guy trying to spam. They do that to make sure fake guys come on here and just start posting crap pictures/advertisements. Just upload them to ImageShack or something of the sort, then post the code here, and one of us will put it up for ya click free. Or Email them to ^^^^ that guy above! Hurry we all want to see it!

Oh and next time, please be more specific in your thread name... not just a description of a Jeep - a title that actually corresponds to the purpose/questions of the thread. Thank you and welcome to the site!
franknstn_cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2009, 07:23 PM   #13
jeepster2
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottymac62 View Post
Let's see some pics! If it's bone stock I would stay that way with a 1978 CJ-5. Since you say it's stock I assume that it has no lift on it? If that's the case I would say that your steering box is probably tired and needs replacing or rebuilt. You might want to check your ball joints as well as the rest of your steering parts. If it has standard steering on it you may want to look into upgrading to power steering. It's an easy upgrade and well worth it.
You didn't state which engine it has in it although you stated that it runs great so you may not need any help there.
Why would you keep it bone stock? I was thinking at least a 4" left including replacing the leaf springs, shocks and tie rods. Then bigger tires and newer wheels.
Unread 03-15-2009, 07:29 PM   #14
whittlecj
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Why would you keep it bone stock? I was thinking at least a 4" left including replacing the leaf springs, shocks and tie rods. Then bigger tires and newer wheels.
Bone stock jeeps are rare, thats why!
Unread 03-15-2009, 09:41 PM   #15
franknstn_cj5
2006 LJ Wrangler 

X2 to what he said - there's a lot of beauty in one that looks like it just came off the line.

ALSO, if it's bone stock, that means that your base Jeep needs preventative maintenance, so you know you have something strong to build on. Make sure everything's squared away before you go all crazy!

Trust me, we're all for seeing a sweet huge Jeep, but we also want to make sure that it stays reliable, and stays good and strong!
franknstn_cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.