1978 CJ Windshield help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1978 CJ Windshield help

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 01-24-2013, 02:51 AM   #1
winy68
1978 CJ5 

1978 CJ Windshield help

I had to buy a new windshield fram which is installed onto the jeep with mix match bolts (long story, my son's project ) some had torx heads i believe some were regular bolts.

If anyone could let me the the number and size of each so I can properly install the windshield from - I'd appreciate it

Thanks in Advance

winy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

They are all 5/16-18 x 1" Flathead Torx screws.

Some guys replace them with Allen Head screws but the diameter of the head itself is slightly larger than the OEM Torx screw type. Which means the Allen head screws will not be completely flush with the surface of the hinges when tightened down.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
2Xtreme

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
They are all 5/16-18 x 1" Flathead Torx screws.

Some guys replace them with Allen Head screws but the diameter of the head itself is slightly larger than the OEM Torx screw type. Which means the Allen head screws will not be completely flush with the surface of the hinges when tightened down....
That being said, the hinges could probably be re-countersunk to accept the allen head screws
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Xtreme

That being said, the hinges could probably be re-countersunk to accept the allen head screws
Not really.

The hinges are probably about 3/16" thick and standard flathead screw heads for 5/16" are right around 1/4" thick or height. You could counterbore the hinges a little more but screws would bottom out on the sheet metal and or threaded nut or plate below the hinge. I tried this on my old tub and on a old hinge when I was considering changing over to all stainless steel flathead screws. I abandoned the idea once I saw the screw heads still poking above the hinge and now loose because I counter sunk the holes a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I'd rather have a little bit of Allen head sticking out than the thought of ever putting a torx POS back on my Jeep. Mine sit flush.

I just replaced the windshield frame on my CJ about 2 weeks ago. I bought 8 of the counter sunk Allen head bolts. 5/16x1" is the correct size. I also replaced the bolts with stainless that hold the windshield hold down onto the frame. I used 3/8x1" countersunk to hold it to the dash. I put anti-seize on all the threads. I did put some black RTV between the hinges and the frame to keep water out.

When I put the new cowl seal on, it was very "inflated" to the point I had to use a ratchet strap from the top corners down to the seat frame to pull it back enough to get the hold down bolts in. Once it was down, everything fit perfectly.
img_1214-1-.jpg   img_1215-1-.jpg   img_1216-1-.jpg   img_1217-1-.jpg  

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.