1978 CJ a Good Buy? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1978 CJ a Good Buy?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 05-15-2003, 07:56 PM   #1
kdavis

1978 CJ a Good Buy?

I'm still in search of my next Jeep.

Been looking at 1997's, but there's a 1978 CJ7 here in town that looks interesting, 350 rebuild, auto tranny (assuming TH350) listed as hill climber (haven't seen it yet, so I don't know the specs).

They have it for $4500, but I have no idea how to price these things that old, no comparison.

First of all, was the 78 a good year, and what do I need to look for in terms of pricing/value?

I have a bead on a 1995 YJ for around the same price...I know they are two totally different animals, but any advice would be appreciated for a CJ newbie, I've only owned a YJ before.

Also, I'm pretty sure the CJ7's don't have back seats, right? Can you add them?

Thanks.

KD

kdavis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2003, 08:29 PM   #2
cajunyj

cjs are fine jeeps. i myself had one for awhile but traded out for a yj just because it was a better daily driver for me. they do have a backseat or should for that matter, unless the guy got rid of it. it is the cj5 that has the limited back room. it also comes with a seat but there is not much room to put anything. from my experience they are good. there is a lot more play in the steering wheel than newer jeeps and the ride is a little rough but that can be fixed with upgrades. other than the carburator blowing up in my dad's face when we tried to rebuild it ( he had no eyebrows for quite awhile) it ran ok. all in all they are fine if they have been taken care of.

My Jeep is not an SUV, and your SUV is not a Jeep
cajunyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2003, 09:25 PM   #3
kdavis

Thanks, that's the info I was looking for. Interestingly, I've got 2 97's and the CJ in the "works" right now, talk about dicotomy (sp?), it should be interesting, but at least I know how to work on a Chevy 350 engine, so we'll see.

KD
Unread 05-15-2003, 09:31 PM   #4
cajunyj

good luck with it. post some pics when you get it

My Jeep is not an SUV, and your SUV is not a Jeep
cajunyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2003, 11:06 AM   #5
kdavis

**Update**

Well, it was a little too rough for my taste, needed timing and transmission work, plus paint and glass. Not even close to being worth the money.

Plus, the guy had mounted the exhaust system way to far outside and I burned the heck out of my calf getting out to lock the hubs (sign from God? ).

So, got to keep looking, thanks for the advice.

KD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.