1977 Jeep Cj5 won't start - JeepForum.com
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 04-17-2017, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Bluefire35

1977 Jeep Cj5 won't start

Bought a 77 cj5 and started up fine when I bought it but I changed the spark plugs the cap ,the coil for a tune up and it won't start now

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 04-17-2017, 01:48 PM
STJP
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Blue,

Have you checked to see if you are getting spark at plug wires?

Could you have accidentally disconnected wires?

Send pictures of wires, distributor, and someone here will be able to help you.

JS
post #3 of 42 Old 04-17-2017, 02:05 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Wrong firing order perhaps?

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 42 Old 04-17-2017, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Bluefire35

Got the order right checked all the wires and got the gap at .035 not sure if they are all firing though

post #5 of 42 Old 04-17-2017, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Bluefire35

Top, left and right view

post #6 of 42 Old 04-17-2017, 07:35 PM
WapitiJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefire35 View Post
Top, left and right view

Not being a smartass but you do realize the positive battery cable is diconnected in your pictures. I assume you do but you never know.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
pochej likes this.
post #7 of 42 Old 04-17-2017, 07:36 PM
NittanyGen
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Got the order right checked all the wires and got the gap at .035 not sure if they are all firing though

Even if youre not firing on a cylinder or two, you should at least have some sort of signs of life. Does it try to run at all, or just continuous crankspin with no fire?

Pull one plug and make sure you're getting good strong spark, that will rule out a defective coil. Are you getting fuel to the carburetor?
post #8 of 42 Old 04-17-2017, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Bluefire35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NittanyGen View Post
Even if youre not firing on a cylinder or two, you should at least have some sort of signs of life. Does it try to run at all, or just continuous crankspin with no fire?

Pull one plug and make sure you're getting good strong spark, that will rule out a defective coil. Are you getting fuel to the carburetor?
Coil is new and Yea I get spark. When I crank it it sounds like it wants to start but doesn't turn over

post #9 of 42 Old 04-17-2017, 08:55 PM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

Hi, did you change the rotor or at least clean it? Now spark, fuel and air is all that is needed to run.. if you know you have spark then dump some fuel into the carb and see if it starts.. if it does not start then you have the firing order off. do you have the right rotation on your firing order CW or CCW.
good luck
tim
post #10 of 42 Old 04-18-2017, 07:22 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

If you've got spark at every plug while cranking, then it's gotta be fuel related.

As Tim said, dump some fuel in the carb (about a shot glass worth), or use starter fluid. If it fires and runs briefly, then suspect a bad fuel pump, a clog or air leak in the fuel lines, or a plugged up fuel filter.

Matt

post #11 of 42 Old 04-18-2017, 08:47 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Were are the wires that should be hooked up to the other terminal on the starter solenoid? Looks like the red pair are hanging below? You may get a weak spark when cranking, but without a full 12v to the coil while cranking, it might not be enough to get the motor started.
pedal2themetai likes this.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #12 of 42 Old 04-18-2017, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Bluefire35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
If you've got spark at every plug while cranking, then it's gotta be fuel related.

As Tim said, dump some fuel in the carb (about a shot glass worth), or use starter fluid. If it fires and runs briefly, then suspect a bad fuel pump, a clog or air leak in the fuel lines, or a plugged up fuel filter.

Matt
I've tried starter fluid but it still doesn't wanna turn over I'll replace the fuel filter today and the fuel pump has already been replace it started before running fine no stalling or shutting off so that why I don't think it has anything to do with the lines but I'll try

post #13 of 42 Old 04-18-2017, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Bluefire35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
Were are the wires that should be hooked up to the other terminal on the starter solenoid? Looks like the red pair are hanging below? You may get a weak spark when cranking, but without a full 12v to the coil while cranking, it might not be enough to get the motor started.
It's connected exactly how it was before I just don't get how it could be running strong then after replacing the cap and plugs and ignition module it doesn't wanna turn over

post #14 of 42 Old 04-18-2017, 02:11 PM
STJP
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

That's the first time you've mentioned an ignition module.

JS
post #15 of 42 Old 04-18-2017, 02:14 PM
WapitiJ

Quote:
It's connected exactly how it was before I just don't get how it could be running strong then after replacing the cap and plugs and ignition module it doesn't wanna turn over

What type of ignition module did you use?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.