1977 jeep cj5 my 1st jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1977 jeep cj5 my 1st jeep

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 11-14-2013, 11:14 PM   #1
Speedy94c

1977 CJ5 

1977 jeep cj5 my 1st jeep

I just purchased a 77 cj5. Don't know much about jeeps but have read a lot of informative info on here so I decided to join.
It is pretty much all stock. I have to get the brakes working, I just put a rebuilt master cylinder on it but it still don't have good brakes. Still have to pump them to get a pedal. It has a left rear wheel cylinder leaking so I will replace it when I get a lil time.
The carburetor is pretty junk Im thinking about doing a motor craft 2100 on it and a HEI distributor upgrade. My cj has a 1 barrel carb and intake so I don't know about putting on a 2 barrel on that manifold.
Im going to try and post pics if I can.

jeep.jpg   jeep-left-side.jpg  
Speedy94c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

welcome to the club! looks like a great project for you. love the hard top and winch! assuming you have either the AMC 232ci or 258ci engine, both the 2100 or 2150 motorcraft carbs would be a great upgrade for your engine. you might be able to get the correct intake manifold and a decent set of headers on the exhaust side with some exploring on craig's list. also, don't forget to check out the 'for sale' forums on this site for your jeep's needs.
best of luck to you!
Unread 11-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Welcome to the Monkey house! I also have a '77 and found that the 1976 Factory Service Manual is the same for the 1977.

Here's a link to it, you may want to bookmark it!

http://oljeep.com/edge_76_tsm.html

Also, get ready to become a liar! Unless you can find a parts shop with a crusty old curmudgeon for a counter man who knows his stuff, you will find that as you learn more about your Jeep, you'll have to lie when the kid behind the counter tries to enter info into his computer. You may have to tell him you own a '76 Camaro for a steering column part or a Ford for a starter or distributor part. It's okay though, because the kid will eventually come to the conclusion that you're a "car god" with all kinds of cool vehicles!

Have fun with your Jeep!

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
70worm
1977 CJ5 

1977 is a transition year. Some parts from 76, some from 78, and some are one year only 77 parts. So if you get stuck finding parts, ask. A lot of creative people on this site have come up with ways to substitute with other stuff.
70worm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

A Five with hard top and doors that WORK! Been looking for a hard top for my '73 for about a thousand years and can't find one that fits...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2014, 04:05 PM   #6
emcasull454
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70worm View Post
1977 is a transition year. Some parts from 76, some from 78, and some are one year only 77 parts. So if you get stuck finding parts, ask. A lot of creative people on this site have come up with ways to substitute with other stuff.
Being new to Jeep in 2013 i found this out on my 79' CJ5. Front brake pads were worn out, so i pick them up for a 79. They were way smaller than what i had. Had to buy 77' pads. Don't know if this is a common thing or not? Or possibly a donor front axle, and or brake setup somewhere in its past?
emcasull454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.