Originally Posted by mthomp83
I have read through a bunch of other threads about converting manual to power steering but couldn't find the answers that I was looking for yet.
The Jeep currently has manual steering. There are other issues which is why I'm replacing all the parts but I want to upgrade to power steering.
I'm going to be replacing the steering column and steering shaft. I will also be upgrading to a reman power steering gear box (it comes w/ pitman arm).
I have purchased the power steering pump w/ reservoir, pressure tubing, and return to reservoir tubing.
I have listed my questions below.
1. How and where do I mount the power steering pump and reservoir?
2. How do I install the power steering pully system?
3. Anything else that I should consider? Am I missing something?
Thanks in advance.
Which engine is this going on?
1) You will need a P/S pump bracket to match your engine first.
2) When I did my P/S conversion, I found a good used pump and pulley on Ebay. All of your pulleys should line up if you buy a pump with a pulley for your engine.
3) Make certain that you buy a steering shaft for power steering, not manual.
You might want to consider upgrading to a reinforced steering box mounting bracket while you're at it.
'77 CJ-5 Renegade 304 / T-150, Dana 20, 30/20 axles, Aussie Locker in the Dana 30, American Racing 15x10 Outlaw II's, 33" Dynapro M/T's" ,Optima Battery, TeamRushed + Summit Racing CDI ignition, FlowKooler water pump, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, Holley 4160 390cfm, Herculiner, Silver Ceramic Coated Hedman Hedders, Flowmaster 40's.
Warn PowerPlant HD 12K Winch, Dirtworx front and rear bumpers.