1977 CJ5 Steering Upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1977 CJ5 Steering Upgrade

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 03-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
mthomp83
2010 JK Wrangler 

1977 CJ5 Steering Upgrade

I have read through a bunch of other threads about converting manual to power steering but couldn't find the answers that I was looking for yet.

The Jeep currently has manual steering. There are other issues which is why I'm replacing all the parts but I want to upgrade to power steering.

I'm going to be replacing the steering column and steering shaft. I will also be upgrading to a reman power steering gear box (it comes w/ pitman arm).

I have purchased the power steering pump w/ reservoir, pressure tubing, and return to reservoir tubing.

I have listed my questions below.

1. How and where do I mount the power steering pump and reservoir?
2. How do I install the power steering pully system?
3. Anything else that I should consider? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

mthomp83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
scottymac62
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomp83 View Post
I have read through a bunch of other threads about converting manual to power steering but couldn't find the answers that I was looking for yet.

The Jeep currently has manual steering. There are other issues which is why I'm replacing all the parts but I want to upgrade to power steering.

I'm going to be replacing the steering column and steering shaft. I will also be upgrading to a reman power steering gear box (it comes w/ pitman arm).

I have purchased the power steering pump w/ reservoir, pressure tubing, and return to reservoir tubing.

I have listed my questions below.

1. How and where do I mount the power steering pump and reservoir?
2. How do I install the power steering pully system?
3. Anything else that I should consider? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.
Which engine is this going on?

1) You will need a P/S pump bracket to match your engine first.

2) When I did my P/S conversion, I found a good used pump and pulley on Ebay. All of your pulleys should line up if you buy a pump with a pulley for your engine.

3) Make certain that you buy a steering shaft for power steering, not manual.

You might want to consider upgrading to a reinforced steering box mounting bracket while you're at it.
'77 CJ-5 Renegade 304 / T-150, Dana 20, 30/20 axles, Aussie Locker in the Dana 30, American Racing 15x10 Outlaw II's, 33" Dynapro M/T's" ,Optima Battery, TeamRushed + Summit Racing CDI ignition, FlowKooler water pump, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, Holley 4160 390cfm, Herculiner, Silver Ceramic Coated Hedman Hedders, Flowmaster 40's.
Warn PowerPlant HD 12K Winch, Dirtworx front and rear bumpers.
scottymac62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
mthomp83
2010 JK Wrangler 

This is going on a 4.2L 258ci engine.

Is the bracket something that I can buy at an auto parts store like Autozone or Advance Auto Parts or would I have to special order it? Same question for the pulley, I can't seem to find either online at either store.

Also, should the brackets for the power steering gear box match the ones from the manual box or will I have to find a special adapter bracket?

Thanks for the info by the way!
Unread 03-17-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
CSP

Power steering pump brackets are best sourced through a junkyard or a private party selling used parts. They are not available new. Same thing goes for the pulley. AMC cars also used the 4.2 and are relatively abundant in junkyards, in my experience.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #5
mthomp83
2010 JK Wrangler 

Any kind of specific AMC vehicle if I can't find either on a Jeep vehicle?

Also, I'm going out to a huge junk yard on Friday. Should I bring any special tools for removing the pulley or mounting brackets?
Unread 03-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
scottymac62
1977 CJ5 

Here's the whole kit and kaboodle...............Original Jeep CJ Wrangler Power Steering Pump W/Bracket : eBay Motors (item 110507809013 end time Mar-23-10 09:34:56 PDT)
'77 CJ-5 Renegade 304 / T-150, Dana 20, 30/20 axles, Aussie Locker in the Dana 30, American Racing 15x10 Outlaw II's, 33" Dynapro M/T's" ,Optima Battery, TeamRushed + Summit Racing CDI ignition, FlowKooler water pump, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, Holley 4160 390cfm, Herculiner, Silver Ceramic Coated Hedman Hedders, Flowmaster 40's.
Warn PowerPlant HD 12K Winch, Dirtworx front and rear bumpers.
scottymac62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
mthom5436
1980 CJ5 

My dad and I pulled the bracket, pump, box, and hoses out of some sort of AMC station wagon that we found in a junk yard. We went home and everything bolted right up. Easy as pie. Then we discovered ebay. -this was a while ago
mthom5436 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2014, 05:47 PM   #8
jrowlz21

cj5 power steering setup

hi i have a 1970 cj5 with a 89 chevy s10 2.8 v6 in it and i want to know what steering setup will work for power steering and what power steering box will fit?
jrowlz21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.