1977 CJ5 Measurement help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1977 CJ5 Measurement help

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 02-02-2009, 08:45 AM   #1
Matusel3
1977 CJ5 

1977 CJ5 Measurement help

If this has been done before elsewhere just let me know, and I apologize for wasting time.

In dealing with the space issue in a CJ5, and being a bigger guy - I am trying to position my seat correctly, and find the proper original measurements.

I would greatly appreciate any CJ5 owners who could do 3 quick measurements for me when there is a chance.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2372qd&s=5 - (Professional artist's rendering of the measurements)

I'd like to know the following 3 measurements:

Top of the seat cushion to the soft top.
Back of the seat to the steering wheel hub.
Top of seat cushion to bottom of gas pedal.

I'm just hoping that the stock measurements will help me to place the brackets for the new seat inside my tub.

-Dana 44 Rear Axel

Last edited by Matusel3; 02-02-2009 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: Ridiculous paintbrush image added.
Matusel3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Do you have high back or lowback seats in your CJ5?
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
JavaTee
1979 CJ5 

I have just installed Bestop Trailmax II Sport seats, so that's the basis of my measurements. The top of the seat is only 10 1/4" from the soft top supporting bar,
The back of the seat to the steering wheel hub is 22'',
the top of the seat cushion to the gas pedal is 22" also,
the top of the seat cushion to the clutch & brake pedal is 17".
When I did some repairs last year I modified the rear fenders, and removed the piece that juts out into the back of the seats, just fyi.
Later, T.J.
JavaTee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
cbushrun
1981 CJ5 

Java,

What kind of seats are you installing?

I too have a CJ5 ('81). When I first bought it 6 years agao the driver seats was pretty trashed and I ordered and non-recline stock replacement from Bestop. I soon realized that they werent designed for Cj5s as the bottom-rear corner juts outward and hits the fenderwell a good 3" before the actial back of the seat hits it.....I'm essentially losing 3" of leg room. I got lazy and didnt send it back and I curse it everytime I get into my Jeep!

I've been trying to research seat options that at LEAST fit into the stock position.

Ideas??
Unread 02-03-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
Matusel3
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Do you have high back or lowback seats in your CJ5?
I bought some new highback seats from JC whitney that are in the JEEP now, I'm just trying to see how bad I hosed it up with the measurements, etc.
-Dana 44 Rear Axel
Unread 02-03-2009, 09:02 PM   #6
Matusel3
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaTee View Post
I have just installed Bestop Trailmax II Sport seats, so that's the basis of my measurements. The top of the seat is only 10 1/4" from the soft top supporting bar,
The back of the seat to the steering wheel hub is 22'',
the top of the seat cushion to the gas pedal is 22" also,
the top of the seat cushion to the clutch & brake pedal is 17".
When I did some repairs last year I modified the rear fenders, and removed the piece that juts out into the back of the seats, just fyi.
Later, T.J.
Thanks a lot T.J., my measurements on my highback seats are very similar to yours, I didn't cut out the rear fenders though, so although my seat is as far back as yours, it's higher - to compensate for the fender.
-Dana 44 Rear Axel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.