Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

1977 CJ5 brake light and gas gauge question

330 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  jdhuffcj5 
#1 ·
Last night my brake light indicator light remains on after the emergency brake was released- also the gas gauge and temp gauge are not working? I also had starter issues- the starter got stuck after starting making grinding noise. (Not sure if that is related.) Immediately after that is when I noticed issues with the light and gauges. Any feedback is appreciated.

#2 ·
Check all grounds. Check the wire going to the top of the parking brake. Connector may have worked loose some. Same thing for temp guage on the back of the cylinder head (if you have an I6). Read all of John 's info regarding guages and wiring for your CJ.

Starter may be going bad on you. You can have it rebuilt or install a reman one. Could pull it off and bench test it to confirm.

I am sure plenty others more knowledgeable that I will chime in on this. Very common CJ issues.

Keep a wrench with you and tap on the starter if it starts sticking and you need to make it home. Sometimes it will work to allow the solenoid to pull it back in.

Also check all your electrical connections to the starter for signs of corrosion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.