1977 CJ-7 electrical problem..turn signals - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1977 CJ-7 electrical problem..turn signals

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-06-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
glm1977cj7
1977 CJ7 

1977 CJ-7 electrical problem..turn signals

I've got a 77 CJ-7 ,258 , 3 speed, just got through putting it back together with all new lights and now I have a very different problem. All the lights work, but the left turn signal will not work if the headlights are on, the right one works with the headlights on or off, and the left works if the headlights are off, but if you turn them on the left side stops. All other lights are working fine, just that one issue. Any suggestions?

glm1977cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

HUH?
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
fireman72737
1984 CJ7 

Sounds like a ground problem. Start there using a volt meter to check your grounds
Unread 09-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #4
cj7larry
1979 CJ7 

Check your bulkhead/firewall connection

I had a very similar problem that I chased for a month. I tried a new turn signal switch, new ground, you name it, I tried it?

I found my answer in the bulkhead connector at the firewall. The previous owner didn't install the connector properly by failing to provide an adequate sized hole in the fiberglass fire wall. Therefore, the connector was drawn tite with the center bolt only partially. So when I wiggled the connector I could run my headlights and the turnsignals simultaneously. I had to make the firewall opening slightly larger to make sure that both halves of the bulkhead connector would engage fully. This cured my problem.

Good luck to you.
cj7larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 05:04 AM   #5
JLSargent
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've noticed that PO's can be a real pain in the butt. My PO simply ran new single wires to toggle switches implanted at various locations on the dash. Its like turning on the old family mixer anytime you want see at night. And my blinkers have the same problem. Im gonna pull the firewall connector and clean/inspect it real good. Maybe I can revive some of these dead lights.
JLSargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 10:13 AM   #6
jimdubose
1978 CJ5 

before i went into the column on mine and replaced a damaged turn signal cam,i 'd only get one blinker on and only when i hit the brakes, even the front turn signal would light along with the back. i had a problem with the lights extinguishing when i depressed the foot bright light switch, rewired it, then found a broken wire at the left front light. i would look at the grounds at all your front lights. i believe the PO was using this CJ to grow rust, i had to go through every ground and clean them and get good connections for every light, guage, indicator, etc. john strenk's posts are invaluable, you should check them out
jimdubose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
emeraldcite
1974 CJ5 

the po on my jeep made a real mess of the wiring. i have no idea what they did. turn signals are wonky. Only have high beams, no low beams. Have a slow draw on the battery somewhere, so they installed a battery kill switch. There's a random toggle switch for the headlights that kill the headlights...inside the engine compartment. Why? I have no idea. Strangest place I've ever seen for a switch.

lucky the thing runs at all.
emeraldcite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
glm1977cj7
1977 CJ7 

I'm going to check the grounds Tues. AM. I should have added that the left turn signal that doesn't work with the headlights on is lite up like it's on but not blinking on front and rear.. I'm going to run a ground wire from the firewall ground (battery) to the ground lug behind the headlight and see what I get (the turn signals use the same ground I think). I will also do the same to the taillight if the front light doesn't change what it's doing. Then I will post with results or more questions...
Unread 09-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #9
glm1977cj7
1977 CJ7 

Pulled headlights out and retapped the grounds on both sides and now everything works like a champ.....When in doubt - ground it!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.