1976 Renegade build "The Pig" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1976 Renegade build "The Pig"

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Un

Unread 12-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
efi-street
1976 CJ5 

1976 Renegade build "The Pig"

I've been working on this thing for a few months, so I figured I should start a build thread. I introduce my (not so) recently acquired Dark Mocha Metallic 1976 CJ5 Renegade "The Pig". The "Pig" moniker originated a few weeks ago when the guy who runs the shop adjacent to mine came in and saw me painting one of the wheels for the CJ. He said that it was "like putting lipstick on a pig" to paint the wheels on a Jeep with old, tired paint.

I know we've all heard of "barn finds". I actually did push this CJ out of a barn just prior to taking this photo:

Untitled by efi-street, on Flickr
another:

I had put the word out that I was looking for a CJ, preferrably a factory Renegade. Some may not like them, but I LOVE the gaudy 70's stripe packages that they put on the Renegades. I was put in touch with the person who had this one, but, when I called him, he first said that he didn't want to sell it. Somehow, by the time I got off the phone with him, he had priced it and I was on my way.

efi-street is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
efi-street
1976 CJ5 

It looked old and tired, but it was very solid overall. The only rust was at the top of the tub where a hard top was on it for years and a few pin holes in the floor pans. I bought it and drove it home.
Here is a pic of it with the hard top that came with it:

It looked decent enough in pics, but needed a bit of work. I had planned to keep it, but alas, it was not to be.
I changed all the fluids as I do on all new projects, which resulted in the old 304 smoking so bad that oil was actually dripping out of the exhaust. I really want to know what kind of additive was in it when I bought it because that stuff was good.
Long story short, I sold the hard top and bought a fairly low mile 360 from a J10 Pickup.
Didn't look like much:

But it was clean inside:

Unread 12-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
efi-street
1976 CJ5 

I'm just a bit OCD. Everything that comes off of a project needs to be cleaned and painted/coated before it is put back on (as a general rule).

I also painted the engine bay while the engine was out, even though I know that the fenders will come off and get repainted when it goes off for body work.

Dark Mocha Metallic looks so sexy when it's fresh IMO.

Painted the factory breather gloss black even though I think original was satin?

Unread 12-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

The Jeep does look in solid condition from my view. That's not OCD you have, that's "attention to detail". Nutin' wrong with that. New Renegade decals can be gotten at Phoenix Graphics. Yours reminds me of one of the Jeeps C.W. McCall took on his trip to write the Black Bear Road album.
Good luck with your build.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
efi-street
1976 CJ5 

going in

I buttoned everything up and took her for the "maiden voyage". Unfortunately, it was not as successful as I would have liked as, less then a block from the shop, the throttle stuck open. I didn't find out until much later that the incident wiped two lobes off the cam and ruined two lifters.

I sent her off for exhaust and a few odds and ends at that time.

The exhaust guy is also the mechanic that works on my stuff when I don't have time or space to do so. He's the one that eventually found the wiped cam lobes.
For those that care, I ran the exhaust as a single shot using a repro Y pipe and a single dynomax muffler. I'm not a "Purist" but I DO like for things to look stock when possible.

The new cam (Summit cam/lifters) was installed and a new/used steering column was installed because the previous owner had put a crappy aftermarket ignition switch in when the key was lost at some point.

I got it back a couple weeks ago and ended up breaking a couple snaps off the original top when re-installing. Fed up with snaps, I ordered a new Bestop Supertop as an early Xmas present for myself.
Original:

New Bestop:

Unread 12-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
efi-street
1976 CJ5 

While I decide what wheels to run on it (would love some repro slotted mags similar to original), I decided to spend $50 or so and "Put lipstick on the Pig".
I sanded the crusty, white wagon wheels and painted them "golden eagle-esque" gold. Bought new lug nuts and some cheap chrome center caps as well.

DSC_0437 by efi-street, on Flickr
Unread 12-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
efi-street
1976 CJ5 

The Pig didn't have a speedo cluster when I bought it, which led to this thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/19...ation-1876882/

This gets us all caught up to today's work. I now have a (mostly) working speedo/cluster.

Future plans:
- paint and body. Factory color with repro Renegade decals. Debating color tinted liner for the floor pan area.
- This project will not be a "frame off" restoration, but more of a driver's restoration. I will replace/rebuild items as needed and clean/paint the frame as it is accessible with the tub on the frame.
- power steering conversion. Today was the first time that I really got to drive it much since I bought it. I'm too old and spoiled for manual steering. Call me a wimp, but some things (manual steering) need to be left in the past.
- front bumper. something simple, but that will allow me to add a winch in the future.
- Small lift - possibly 2.5" OME? I have OME stuff on my TJ and love it. I will need to research more to know what I want on this one.
- Details...I already have several boxes full of new, nos, and repro stuff from shifter knobs to turn signal lenses/housings, to flares awaiting this thing to get painted.
- I have the ability to powder coat things at my work place, so lots of things that don't need replaced will get powder coated.

I think that's pretty much it for today.
I didn't have a jeep when I bought this a few months ago, but I now have this one, a TJ, a YJ, and my wife just bought a new JKU Sahara and she had a 3.5 lift and 35's installed before we took delivery.
It really IS a sickness.
Unread 12-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Nice!

If you haven't found out through research, let me tell you that the 76-77 CJ's are the red-headed step bothers to the 78-86 CJ's. Some parts with interchange others won't. Do not toss anything away.
Unread 12-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
efi-street
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackFabrication View Post
Nice!

If you haven't found out through research, let me tell you that the 76-77 CJ's are the red-headed step bothers to the 78-86 CJ's. Some parts with interchange others won't. Do not toss anything away.
I've been slowly learning that as I order parts.
Unread 12-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
efi-street
1976 CJ5 

Because I have a bit of ADD and because I know people love pictures, I will now share completely unrelated photos of things that may take my attention from the CJ from time to time during the build.
The YJ:

The TJ:

The Scout:

My job:

Sasha grey:
ummm....lost my photos for that.
Unread 12-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #11
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice collection.
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #12
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Here's mine.

A work in progress since 1996.

Unread 12-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #13
efi-street
1976 CJ5 

Nice rig, Hack.
Unread 12-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by efi-street View Post
...The "Pig" moniker originated a few weeks ago when the guy who runs the shop adjacent to mine came in and saw me painting one of the wheels for the CJ. He said that it was "like putting lipstick on a pig" to paint the wheels on a Jeep with old, tired paint...
The 'cool kids' call that patina. don't be in such a hurry to spray over it.

Me likey! Congrats, and good luck on the project.

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 05:52 AM   #15
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by efi-street View Post
Nice rig, Hack.
Thanks!

Unfortunately, I haven't touched the project in 5 years. I waffled over the decision to sell it, but I decided to ship it off to a shop to finish it. It's about 80-90 percent done, just needs a few things 'fixed', then dis-assemble, paint, re-assemble.

Here it is going off to it's winter home in early November:

If you have any questions with regards to your project, you've come to the right forum. Lots of us have lots of experience working with this old junk....

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.