1976 Levis CJ7 rescued! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1976 Levis CJ7 rescued!

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFCurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
indy24

1976 CJ7 

1976 Levis CJ7 rescued!

I rescued this CJ from sitting in a garage for 14 years. When I found it had 4/99 inspection on it, but the man who owned it took it out in the driveway and fired it up a few times a year. He had intended to put it back together over the years, but was never able to finish. He did love Bondo though, I had to beat and even grind a ton of it off. frame is solid, windshield frame was smoked, and just few issues on the tub mostly on the rockers. Hood and fenders were fine. I am no restorer by and means, but got it done with basic tools and had a blast. I panted it with single stage urethane from Eastwood paint products which is only 20 min from work.

new.jpg

primer.jpg

cj.jpg

done.jpg

indy24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

That's beautiful looking. Give us some details about what you did to it, pictures are great.
ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
indy24

1976 CJ7 

Thanks, the guy put brand new tires on it 2 years ago, because he did not want it in the garage with dry rotted tires. he put the CJ on stands and drove all 5 wheels the tire store. they had 0 miles on them. it has a 304 v8, but the dura spark ran terrible, so I put in a Mallory HEI distributor and wires. he put new plugs in the day before I found it so that was a plus. I think it runs better with the HEI then it did off the factory line with the dura spark. Stainless steel brake line kit, new rear shoes and hardware, fronts were fine. New wheel cylinders all around. Side note, I would not use stainless again. its very hard to work with and I had to change 2 fittings. stainless it very hard, and it took 1 week to finally fix a leak at the changed out fitting. I just did a copper blend brake line kit on a friends, and it was the best stuff I have ever worked with. new windshield frame, glass gasket, and cowl gasket. all light and lenses are original, all gauges work except the clock, cigarette lighter even works. I put a 94 YJ family roll cage in with 3 point seatbelts front and back. I painted it in one of the bays at work 1 weekend with an Eastwood off the shelf premixed paint. The factory is only 20 min from my work and they have a store attached to it. $125.00 for 3 quarts of single stage urethane Pacific coastal blue and hardner. 1 gallon of epoxy primer with half left over, and maybe 3/4 of a quart of color left over. 2 coats primer. 3 coats color. it came with 2 new highback seats still in the box that I put in. I have the original blue levis seats Rear seat, which is mint. saving for a highback rear seat. front lowbacks pass side is good, but drivers is torn up. not sure what the plan for them is yet. might try to sell for lift or winch. I am sure I am missing something, but it was a good time. I had it wheeling in the NJ pine barrens already, and it is a blast.
wheeling.jpg

indy24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
UBERK
1976 CJ7 

Nice to see another 76'...... strong work.
UBERK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.