1976 CJ7 From Hunting buggy to daily driver - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1976 CJ7 From Hunting buggy to daily driver

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 03-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
IFADAT
1976 CJ7 

1976 CJ7 From Hunting buggy to daily driver

My whole life I've wanted a Jeep. Not the Wrangler or newer models they've come out with, but a real Jeep. I also wanted it to be a project Jeep. Something I could put my time into and enjoy the process without it being a daily driver.

It came from a farm up in South Carolina where it was used for Quail hunting. Its a 1976 3 speed with a 258 straight six.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...DAT/Jeep01.jpg

As you can see it had a lot of hunting extras bolted and welded to it. Including a dog box/look out seat.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...DAT/Jeep02.jpg

I brought it over to my buddy Kevin's house and used his tools to remove all the extras. It cleaned up nice.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...DAT/Jeep03.jpg

There is some surface rust but no real holes and the floor pans are solid. I've started sanding down the rust and I've replaced the spark plugs, wires and fuel filter.

A friend offered to rebuild the carb so I took it off and sent it to him.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...b/S2010001.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...b/S2010015.jpg

Here's a few lessons I've learned so far.

# 1. Craigslist is addicting. I thought I found the perfect deal. 33 inch tires on 15 inch Aluminum wheels. I counted and measured my lugs distance. Perfect! I pick them up and bring them back to put on the jeep and find out.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...DAT/Tire-1.jpg

#2. I'm an idiot. What I forgot to consider was the warn hubs on the front are too big to fit through the hole.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...ADAT/Wheel.jpg

We kicked around the idea of using a hole saw and Eric suggested a machine shop. At the end I opted to just buy some Black rock crawlers. I still got a deal on the tires though even without the wheels.

I also found some metal doors on craigslist. I wanted to get these before I painted it. They fit perfectly!

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m117/IFADAT/Door.jpg

Next I drained all the bad gas out of the tank. Put the carb back on that Eric rebuilt. Fired it up and it runs like a champ!

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...DAT/Fuel-1.jpg

The last day has been brakes. It took twenty minutes of hammering to get one drum off. When I did all the guts hit the floor. We put on the front brake assemblies and tried to cut the corner and not replace the pistons. When It came time to bleed the brakes, they kept on bleeding. Took the drum back off, the pistons were shot. Disassembled and reassembled. I'm actually getting pretty good at brake assembly.

I changed the oil and checked the differentials. Replaced the radiator and hoses. Changed all the lights including marker lights. It won't be long till it's on the road.

I bought six cans of dupli-color T155 and my buddy applied it. It the closest to the original before it was painted light blue.

Here's where she stands now. Since then I've added black mirrors and the marker lenses.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m117/IFADAT/Blue.jpg

I got her registered and I'm driving her all over the place!

Thank you guys very much for all the tips I obtained while lurking on this board. Hopefully I can repay some tips the more I learn.

I do have one question.

I have an oil leak coming out of the dipstick. It appears to be coming out where the female part of the tube enters the block. It only comes out when driven. We put some rtv for a quick fix but that didn't last long. My next idea is to use JB weld. Has anyone had this problem and any suggestions on the best method to correct the problem?

Thanks, Trey

IFADAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

WOW MAN! what a difference. nice work! good looking rig!
lets here more about your painting.

Mike D.
twoleos617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
IFADAT
1976 CJ7 

Thanks. In that pic it's actually 4 cans of paint. The other two were applied that night. I learned I don't have the feel for spray painting. I went for the thick, running down the side approach. My buddy Kevin stepped in and very lightly sprayed it on with several coats. We were both amazed at how well it came out.
Unread 03-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

Click Free for a nice project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFADAT View Post
My whole life I've wanted a Jeep. Not the Wrangler or newer models they've come out with, but a real Jeep. I also wanted it to be a project Jeep. Something I could put my time into and enjoy the process without it being a daily driver.

It came from a farm up in South Carolina where it was used for Quail hunting. Its a 1976 3 speed with a 258 straight six.

As you can see it had a lot of hunting extras bolted and welded to it. Including a dog box/look out seat.

I brought it over to my buddy Kevin's house and used his tools to remove all the extras. It cleaned up nice.

There is some surface rust but no real holes and the floor pans are solid. I've started sanding down the rust and I've replaced the spark plugs, wires and fuel filter.

A friend offered to rebuild the carb so I took it off and sent it to him.

Here's a few lessons I've learned so far.

# 1. Craigslist is addicting. I thought I found the perfect deal. 33 inch tires on 15 inch Aluminum wheels. I counted and measured my lugs distance. Perfect! I pick them up and bring them back to put on the jeep and find out.

#2. I'm an idiot. What I forgot to consider was the warn hubs on the front are too big to fit through the hole.

We kicked around the idea of using a hole saw and Eric suggested a machine shop. At the end I opted to just buy some Black rock crawlers. I still got a deal on the tires though even without the wheels.

I also found some metal doors on craigslist. I wanted to get these before I painted it. They fit perfectly!

Next I drained all the bad gas out of the tank. Put the carb back on that Eric rebuilt. Fired it up and it runs like a champ!

The last day has been brakes. It took twenty minutes of hammering to get one drum off. When I did all the guts hit the floor. We put on the front brake assemblies and tried to cut the corner and not replace the pistons. When It came time to bleed the brakes, they kept on bleeding. Took the drum back off, the pistons were shot. Disassembled and reassembled. I'm actually getting pretty good at brake assembly.

I changed the oil and checked the differentials. Replaced the radiator and hoses. Changed all the lights including marker lights. It won't be long till it's on the road.

I bought six cans of dupli-color T155 and my buddy applied it. It the closest to the original before it was painted light blue.

Here's where she stands now. Since then I've added black mirrors and the marker lenses.

I got her registered and I'm driving her all over the place!

Thank you guys very much for all the tips I obtained while lurking on this board. Hopefully I can repay some tips the more I learn.

I do have one question.

I have an oil leak coming out of the dipstick. It appears to be coming out where the female part of the tube enters the block. It only comes out when driven. We put some rtv for a quick fix but that didn't last long. My next idea is to use JB weld. Has anyone had this problem and any suggestions on the best method to correct the problem?

Thanks, Trey
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
mtbtweety

1982 CJ8 

nice stance! What depth wheel did you use? 15x10?
mtbtweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Very nice!

That dipstick leak is a real pain. The odds are high the tube is cracked. It is a press fit into the block. A real good clean and dry and then RTV and a 24 hour cure should work. JB weld would have to have it as clean and dry to stick also and if it doesn't stick, well, it is hard to clean up.

Those side marker lights are cheap and easy to get. Quadratec has them.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #7
IFADAT
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbtweety View Post
nice stance! What depth wheel did you use? 15x10?
Yes, That's correct. They almost seem to be 14 inches wide now.
Unread 03-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
IFADAT
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
Very nice!

That dipstick leak is a real pain. The odds are high the tube is cracked. It is a press fit into the block. A real good clean and dry and then RTV and a 24 hour cure should work. JB weld would have to have it as clean and dry to stick also and if it doesn't stick, well, it is hard to clean up.

Those side marker lights are cheap and easy to get. Quadratec has them.
Thanks Mike, I was worried about the JB weld being hard to clean up if it doesn't work too. I'll try the RTV again. I found some marker lights on an ebay store in Georgia, oconee off-road.
Unread 03-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #9
southshore30
1982 CJ7 

I bought some rims recently for my Jeep. Old school Cragar slots. They had the right bolt pattern but the center hole was also too small. I got all 4 for $80 and paid $130 to the machine shop to open up the holes.
southshore30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Looks good.

77' CJ-7 84' CJ-7 83' Chevy K10
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #11
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Bumping this old thread for an update!

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #12
IFADAT
1976 CJ7 

Here's where I am today. Bought new seats and a Bikini top. The top was an issue because for some reason I have a CJ5 roll bar. It sits back further so I went to a canvas shop and added enough to make it fit. Also added long shackles. It gave some room for the tire but screwed up my steering.

I bought a 304 off craigslist with the T150 and transfer case.

Put it on the stand and started tearing it down.

Flipped it and noticed two freeze plugs were expandable rubber and one was JB weld.

Sprayed it down with easy off and got some color.

Replaced the freeze plugs, pounded out the dents in the oil pan new gaskets and water pump.

Painted the bottom.

And the top. Added the carb and the headers just to see how they'd look.

I finally found a Saturday to put the 304 in. I recruited four friends and we got it done in one day.
Pulling the six.

In goes the 304.

All together except the power steering pump.

Purple Hornies. They sound great.

My power steering pump had a leak. I got one from my buddy but it ended up being a newer model with the O-ring fitting. We all were trying to figure out how to get a high pressure hose with two different ends. Then I called Morris 4x4 who referred me to another Jeep Store. He laughed and said why don't you just exchange the fittings on the pumps. DUH! Another issue was when we put the coolant in and fired the motor it started pouring out the side. I instantly had that queezy feeling like I bought a shot motor.
Turned out to be a half inch freeze plug above the bigger ones that we didn't see.
I've driven it all week. I'm loving the power.

I got a Performer intake off craigslist for my 304. The guy had left the motor uncovered hanging from a tree for a year. As you can see scale has formed on top.

I used degreaser, muriatic acid, and then used a drill wire wheel and steel wool. Still going to polish it.

Added a Holley 650 Double pumper. I've heard people on here say it's too much but I haven't had any problems.
Unread 08-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #13
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Nice work on cleaning up that 304. Jeep is looking great!

77' CJ-7 84' CJ-7 83' Chevy K10
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #14
agear
1984 CJ7 

You can clean up and spraypaint with duplicolor semi-gloss black your
inner fenders and firewall.
1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
agear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1976 , cj7 , dipstick , oil leak , rebuild

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.