1976 CJ7 Exhaust Leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1976 CJ7 Exhaust Leak

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-08-2013, 06:03 AM   #1
jdhaas3
2008 JK Wrangler 

1976 CJ7 Exhaust Leak

Recently purchased my 76 CJ7 and I am trying to tackle the exhaust leak. I have the 4.2L inline 6 with true dual exhaust on it. Both of the pipes are put together with a muffler clamp and it looks like the exhaust pipe is just pushed into the header. There is no header flange/gasket installed. Both joints are leaking pretty badly. I crawled underneath while it was running and just felt around the joints and could feel pretty good bit of puffing around there. I do not know the brand of header or exhaust, both look pretty crappy IMO. Should I just replace everything? Should I just cut the pipe from the header and weld on a flange that I can bolt up to a new set of pipes with a gasket in place? Here is a picture of one.

jdhaas3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
jdhaas3
2008 JK Wrangler 

anybody have any advice on this?
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

I'd say you'd have less work but more money in replacing the whole thing. How is the rest of your set-up? Do you have an OEM intake manifold?

For the cut and weld approach, you'd probably have to flare the header, and the exhaust pipe after sliding new flanges on. I couldn't do it, but sounds like you have the ability.

While you're at it, you might just as well clean up the headers and strip them with phospho-etch, then paint with exhaust paint. That way you'd get a little more life out of them, maybe?
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
jdhaas3
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post
I'd say you'd have less work but more money in replacing the whole thing. How is the rest of your set-up? Do you have an OEM intake manifold?

For the cut and weld approach, you'd probably have to flare the header, and the exhaust pipe after sliding new flanges on. I couldn't do it, but sounds like you have the ability.

While you're at it, you might just as well clean up the headers and strip them with phospho-etch, then paint with exhaust paint. That way you'd get a little more life out of them, maybe?
I dont really have the ability but my buddy does, I would be just helping and learning pretty much. The intake is offenhauser.
Unread 03-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Offenhauser intake makes it an easier choice - you'd probably have to go with a matching header to replace or go back to stock to make things easiest. A stock exhaust manifold wouldn't match up well both in size and components (i.e. EGR setup).

Sounds like trying to fix this one up is the best choice for the short term (5 years?). I'd definitely clean it, etch it, and paint. You could do the intake at the same time, even, since you'll have the whole thing off.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
jdhaas3
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post
Offenhauser intake makes it an easier choice - you'd probably have to go with a matching header to replace or go back to stock to make things easiest. A stock exhaust manifold wouldn't match up well both in size and components (i.e. EGR setup).

Sounds like trying to fix this one up is the best choice for the short term (5 years?). I'd definitely clean it, etch it, and paint. You could do the intake at the same time, even, since you'll have the whole thing off.
Pretty sure I going to be going with option two on this one. I just spoke with an exhaust shop and they are going to go in and clean up the pipe and just redo everythign from the header back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.