1976 CJ5 Body Mount bolt removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1976 CJ5 Body Mount bolt removal

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 09-02-2002, 06:31 PM   #1
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

1976 CJ5 Body Mount bolt removal

OK, I am at a loss here.
I have successfully stripped my CJ5 bare. Everything is off the firewall, all but the seatbelts are out of the tub(can't get those babies out) and the tailgate is still on because I can't reach one side of the bolts, they keep spinning. I figure I can get this off when the tub is removed.

So here is my problem.

Of the 8 bolts that I tried to remove, I got 2 out. I tried the 2 at the front of the jeep, near the firewall, the four under the floor, and the 2 behind the gas tank.

The ones I got out were the passenger side firewall and the driver side gas tank. The others continue to spin, which poses a problem, HOW DO I GET THEM OUT? I tried everything. I soaked them in oil, I used air tools, etc., but there are a couple that I can't get a wrench onto the other side because of the floor.

After I do get them out, the next question is this, how do I get the tub back on? That metal backing plate is going to need to be used somehow, but I would imagine it will be floating around in there.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
cb

certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2002, 08:23 PM   #2
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

I had the same problem on my 1979 CJ - I would up cutting access holes in the floor. I then welded in new pieces I fabbed up. Many times a torch will get pesky bolts loose as well.

Here is a link to my CJ project:

1979 CJ resto
Unread 09-03-2002, 05:53 AM   #3
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Thanks for the reply, but I was afraid of this. I read on-line and no one seems to have any info on this. I was planning on replacing the floor areas where the feet go anyway, so I guess this is OK, but I just didn't figure I would be cutting it up.

I read somewhere about a tighten/loosen method. I was a little confused how tightening and then loosening would eventually get you past the problem area on your bolt, but hey, I guess it worked for someone.

I guess I will cut it up next weekend to get it off. I am not that experienced with a welder, so putting it back together will be interesting to say the least.

Thanks again.
cb
Unread 09-03-2002, 08:05 AM   #4
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

CB, you could use a whole saw and cut holes in the tub over each bolt that is spinning. Tack weld each of those square, threaded pieces in and then use a breaker bar to wrench those bolts out.

You could then just weld the circles or holes you cut out back in the tub, grind them down, paint...no problem...
Unread 09-07-2002, 07:05 PM   #5
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Thanks jadams68, the hole saw worked like a charm. Also, I only ended up cutting one hole, I just couldn't do it without it. The rest were reached(barely) with needle nose vise grips. All in all, they came out. Breaker bar helped a lot as well.

Thanks again. Peace!

cb
Unread 09-08-2002, 07:15 AM   #6
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Glad to help. I just removed a friend's CJ-5 tub last week and we had to go "caveman" on some of those bolts... We ended up spinning off 4 of them! It was a hassle, but we got it!

Good luck on your project!
Unread 09-08-2002, 07:24 AM   #7
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Actually 9 bolts out and we had to sawzall the other one. The head of the bolt was shot. It is a good thing that these bolts didn't need to be reused cause man, they were shot.

After getting a headache from the fumes and the pain that the tank was to get off, I now have the frame to contend with. At least the cleaning of that won't cost me any $$$$$ right now. It is looking good so far, just looking forward to getting the project going a lot before winter.

Thanks again!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.