1976 CJ-5 Rebuild: Pic Heavy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1976 CJ-5 Rebuild: Pic Heavy

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 05-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
OKCJeepin
1976 CJ5 

1976 CJ-5 Rebuild: Pic Heavy

It took longer than expected, but here she is. I'll post more pictures once I'm allowed

image-1139904957.jpg   image-1362082404.jpg  
OKCJeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
19in1979
1979 CJ7 

You should give us some additional info about the rebuild even if you can't load more pics for now.

The only thing I can see from the pics is that it's going to be a bear to try to match that paint. Is that new or from the PO.

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Wayne [/FONT]

[B]Living the dream at 8,500ft. elevation in beautiful Coal Creek Canyon, Colorado. [/B]
19in1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
OKCJeepin
1976 CJ5 

I'll give you some more information when I'm at a computer, it's annoying to do it on the phone! Basics though, 3 speed, AMC 304, power steering, drums on all 4, AMC 20, Dana 30, and lots of ****ty things from the PO. (Like the paint &#128514
Unread 05-27-2013, 11:40 PM   #4
OKCJeepin
1976 CJ5 

Alrighty! I'm finally home! This is my new baby! I got her from a kid here in mustang who was planning on doing the same thing I want, but he had a change of plans and was into some financial troubles, so I happily took this off his hands! Her name for now is Bird S**t Blue, at least until I get that god awful paint off her. Now for a little background...

This will be my first major project, other than your average tinkering with cars and bikes etc... As such, I looked for a jeep that needed a little bit of everything so that I can learn it all.
I'll be on the forum quite a bit for advice and such, so please bear with me haha. I'm guessing that to upload unlimited pictures, you have to have a certain amount of posts, so the majority of my pictures are yet to come, and don't worry, they wont be all iPhone pictures
Also, there are a few more things we have to do to the shop we've been building before true work can begin! Couple inspections to call in, couple things to add after inspection (if you know what I mean ), bring in the welder etc...

Some information about the jeep other than the afore said:

PO Additions:
Side Steps (welded directly to the frame )
Long Tube Headers (barely, and I mean BARELY fit)
Crappily Welded Roll Cage (Not tied into the frame, so worse than useless)
Some Nice Shiny Hazard Stickers (Like the ones on bikes )
(Everything but the headers are to be removed)
12,000 lbs Wench (Actually works! )

My Additions so far:
Rebuilt Brakes (Need to do it again, missing pieces)
Reran Brake Lines (Same as above)
New Starter Solenoid

My Plans at this point are to take the body off, repair all the cancer, media blast, paint/bedliner (undecided as of yet), complete rewire, lift, possibly regear, build rear bumper and tire carrier, and some other more obscure things.
Unread 05-28-2013, 01:04 AM   #5
19in1979
1979 CJ7 

That sounds like you're going to have loads of fun working on her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCJeepin View Post
I'll be on the forum quite a bit for advice and such, so please bear with me haha. I'm guessing that to upload unlimited pictures, you have to have a certain amount of posts, so the majority of my pictures are yet to come, and don't worry, they wont be all iPhone pictures.
Regarding why I "quoted" a segment of your last post is for a tiny bit of advice. I'm still a relatively new member on here myself but if I've learned anything, it's that pictures help you get the answers to your questions in the shortest amount of time. As you're on the forum, you'll see dozens of posts just loaded with questions and the first thing the more experienced guys will say is, "give us pictures, we're not mind readers" . Bottom line - Photos help 1000%.

I have only asked a few questions so far (and I've read tons) but being able to post as many photos as I needed to get my point across sure made it easy on everyone involved. I spent a mere $20 bucks (for a 6 mo paid membership), and that was the best $20 bucks that I've spent while working on my 79CJ7. It's just a suggestion, but now that you've come to the Dark Side... and with all you have planned to work on in the near future, I think it would be money well spent. Welcome to the forum, take care and have fun.

[B]Living the dream at 8,500ft. elevation in beautiful Coal Creek Canyon, Colorado. [/B]
Unread 05-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
OKCJeepin
1976 CJ5 

Here's some more
image-3551578444.jpg   image-2723296399.jpg  
Unread 05-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
OKCJeepin
1976 CJ5 

Ill post as many as I can. A few more pictures of the engine and interior
image-2489913370.jpg   image-1285182833.jpg   image-1229507469.jpg   image-1391731643.jpg   image-2208468308.jpg  

Unread 05-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
OKCJeepin
1976 CJ5 

Apparently, many of my pictures are too big to post, so Ill be buying a membership here soon I think.
Unread 05-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
OKCJeepin
1976 CJ5 

Ill be taking exhaustive pictures as soon I I begin tearing her apart, hopefully next weekend. I've been gathering some parts and pieces to help speed the process along a little.
image-59835272.jpg  
Unread 05-28-2013, 11:28 PM   #10
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Apparently, many of my pictures are too big to post, so Ill be buying a membership here soon I think.
Just host elsewhere and link to them on here. ive never had an issue with photo's doing it that way and you can control access if required.
VooDoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #11
OKCJeepin
1976 CJ5 

Alright thanks, what hosting site do you use?
Unread 05-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #12
19in1979
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Alright thanks, what hosting site do you use?
Personally I use Photobucket to host my photos. Even though I do that, I still purchased a membership to help support the site and sort of pay for the information exchange...but that's just me.

Unread 05-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #13
row684
1984 CJ7 

Should be a fun project! Subscribed!
row684 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #14
OKCJeepin
1976 CJ5 

Awesome! Tonight when I get home I will get on photobucket! I'll go ahead and upload all of those pictures I have and I will soon be getting started with teardown
Unread 05-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #15
SCSEAJAYSEVEN
1978 CJ7 

That dash mounted bottle opener is the BOMB!! Why didn't I think of that?
SCSEAJAYSEVEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.