1975 Cj5w? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1975 Cj5w?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-20-2005, 09:08 PM   #1
OlllllllO Jeep1

1975 Cj5w?

I seen an ad today for a CJ5W for a good price good body hard and soft top, no engine. I have never heard of a CJ5W. It was probably a misprint, Can anyone tell me what the easiest motor swap would be for this year. I realize there is probably more than one tranny, therefore different bellhousing bolt holes etc. I dont need a detailed step by step. I was just wondering what brand or size is good for this Jeep. If I recall wasnt the 225 V-6 used in this model?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me. I presently own a CJ-7 and a YJ, but know nothing about the 5. I actually have a friend that wants to get a project vehicle to work on together, I was just wondering what you guys think also if this would be a good vehicle. i am familiar with the suspensions and mechanicals of Jeeps already, so I figure that this may be a good vehcle.

Thanks again.

OlllllllO Jeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2005, 09:21 PM   #2
waywardfool
1973 CJ5 

in those years, i'm partial to the standard-issue 258, but add HEI and a 32/36. For you, though, since there is no motor in it now, i'd go with a cheby 350 swap. Lots of documentation, easy and cheap to build up, and plenty of kits available for motormounts, etc. Plus you can probably find a '5 with a 350 swap done in it near you; it really helps sometimes to "see" how things go together, especially since you have no motor at all installed now.

Personally, my next Jeep is going to get a 4BT cummins (4 cyl Diesel).
waywardfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2005, 05:57 AM   #3
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

CJ5 can kind of be divided into three groups:

1. 1955 to 1971-Willys/Kaiser version with the F134 4 cyl. and the later ('66-'71 I think) 225 V6.
2. 1972-1975-AMC transitional years. These came with 232 I6, 258 I6, or 304 V8. T14 3 speeds for the sixes. T15 for the V8. Occassionally a T18 tranny. The tranfer case is a Dana 20. Dana 30 front and Dana 44 rear (some track locks).

I love my 258. It's not the fastest thing but you can't beat it off road. I love the low end torque. I go with a guy with the 304 and I have a lot smoother trip.
Unread 05-22-2005, 07:14 AM   #4
firecord

Quote:
Personally, my next Jeep is going to get a 4BT cummins (4 cyl Diesel).
I love that idea. I read about a guy who built a daily driver and used a Volkswagon diesel. You know, the one they put in that toy truck they built for a couple of years in the 70's. He said he got 30 miles per gallon in town! I searched the net to see if I could find it again, but I'm at home with dialup so I gave up. Myself, I went with 5.0 ( I just wanted that RedNeck dual pipe sound) Thats one heck of a reason to piss off so much money huhh. My Jeep will never see the woods, I'll bet I don't even put 5000 miles a year on it!
firecord is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.