1975 Cj5w? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1975 Cj5w?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 05-20-2005, 09:08 PM   #1
OlllllllO Jeep1

1975 Cj5w?

I seen an ad today for a CJ5W for a good price good body hard and soft top, no engine. I have never heard of a CJ5W. It was probably a misprint, Can anyone tell me what the easiest motor swap would be for this year. I realize there is probably more than one tranny, therefore different bellhousing bolt holes etc. I dont need a detailed step by step. I was just wondering what brand or size is good for this Jeep. If I recall wasnt the 225 V-6 used in this model?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me. I presently own a CJ-7 and a YJ, but know nothing about the 5. I actually have a friend that wants to get a project vehicle to work on together, I was just wondering what you guys think also if this would be a good vehicle. i am familiar with the suspensions and mechanicals of Jeeps already, so I figure that this may be a good vehcle.

Thanks again.

OlllllllO Jeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2005, 09:21 PM   #2
waywardfool
1973 CJ5 

in those years, i'm partial to the standard-issue 258, but add HEI and a 32/36. For you, though, since there is no motor in it now, i'd go with a cheby 350 swap. Lots of documentation, easy and cheap to build up, and plenty of kits available for motormounts, etc. Plus you can probably find a '5 with a 350 swap done in it near you; it really helps sometimes to "see" how things go together, especially since you have no motor at all installed now.

Personally, my next Jeep is going to get a 4BT cummins (4 cyl Diesel).
waywardfool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2005, 05:57 AM   #3
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

CJ5 can kind of be divided into three groups:

1. 1955 to 1971-Willys/Kaiser version with the F134 4 cyl. and the later ('66-'71 I think) 225 V6.
2. 1972-1975-AMC transitional years. These came with 232 I6, 258 I6, or 304 V8. T14 3 speeds for the sixes. T15 for the V8. Occassionally a T18 tranny. The tranfer case is a Dana 20. Dana 30 front and Dana 44 rear (some track locks).

I love my 258. It's not the fastest thing but you can't beat it off road. I love the low end torque. I go with a guy with the 304 and I have a lot smoother trip.
Unread 05-22-2005, 07:14 AM   #4
firecord

Quote:
Personally, my next Jeep is going to get a 4BT cummins (4 cyl Diesel).
I love that idea. I read about a guy who built a daily driver and used a Volkswagon diesel. You know, the one they put in that toy truck they built for a couple of years in the 70's. He said he got 30 miles per gallon in town! I searched the net to see if I could find it again, but I'm at home with dialup so I gave up. Myself, I went with 5.0 ( I just wanted that RedNeck dual pipe sound) Thats one heck of a reason to piss off so much money huhh. My Jeep will never see the woods, I'll bet I don't even put 5000 miles a year on it!
firecord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.