1975 CJ5 rebuild - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1975 CJ5 rebuild

Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 05-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #91
DeafJeep

Hi Bradley, Hope you do not mind my going off-topic for a mintune ...

I wanted to show you what the school for the deaf could do with someone's Jeep. They mostly work on cars but they would enjoy doing a Jeep.

This was on the Facebook page of the Scranton School for Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Children.

Cabot Oil and Gas Corp. has brought a 1955 Chevy Bel Air that runs on compressed natural gas!

DeafJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #92
04MAX
1982 CJ7 

Hey Bradley, gettin' any time in wrenchin' on that Jeep?
04MAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #93
Davis77Cj
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafJeep View Post
Hi Bradley, Hope you do not mind my going off-topic for a mintune ...

I wanted to show you what the school for the deaf could do with someone's Jeep. They mostly work on cars but they would enjoy doing a Jeep.

This was on the Facebook page of the Scranton School for Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Children.

Cabot Oil and Gas Corp. has brought a 1955 Chevy Bel Air that runs on compressed natural gas!

there is just a little red "X" and no image
Unread 05-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #94
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjHouch View Post
Great job on the windshield. Your Jeep is awesome. I'm sure it was a blast driving it to work. As far as your carb issue goes, sounds like you need to get a fuel regulator and set it at 4 1/2 to 5 psi. Even factory pumps can put out enough psi to pump fuel past the needles. If that doesn't completely solve your issue you may have to put stiffer springs on the needles. IMO as far as after market carbs go for street use Edelbrock is hard to top. The even make a needle set thats supposed increase the carbs off road abilities. I haven't tried it yet but plan to do so in the future.
CJHouch, it just occured to me that I don't know anything about a fuel regulator. What kind do you run and where did you mount it. I assume that it needs to go between the fuel pump and carb. Any advice and help would be appreciated!
bradleybrb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #95
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Sweet '55 DeafJeep! Looks like they did an awesome job!
Unread 05-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #96
DeafJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis77Cj View Post
there is just a little red "X" and no image
Hi Davis, hope you can see this time ...

http://i42.tinypic.com/f1a58j.jpg
Unread 05-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #97
DeafJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleybrb View Post
Sweet '55 DeafJeep! Looks like they did an awesome job!
You are welcome.
Unread 05-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #98
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04MAX View Post
From around 1981. My grandmother, her cinder block and my first Jeep.
Awesome picture 04max! Love the purse! Ain't too many grandma's that you don't see without that purse in hand! I did a few touch up things on the jeep this weekend then had a little trouble. Maybe you can help. I put about 150 miles on it. I got in it Saturday morning and headed out. It went dead going down the driveway just like you cut the key off. Never would crank. I pulled it back up to the house with my '78. I checked a few things out and it seemed not to be getting fire. It's a brand new HEI in it but I am on my 2nd fuel pump so I figured it might just be a bad part again. Never could get it to crank Saturday. Yesterday after church, I just couldn't stand it so I hit the key and it fired right up. I cut it off climbed in to drive down the driveway and it would not crank again for nothing! I went back to the house then back down to the shop again in about 5 minutes. Hit the key and it fired right back up!!!! I hit the key about 5 more times and each time it would crank right up! So anybody got a guess on what the deal is? The key switch is original and pretty worn. Could that be it? I am lucky it went dead in the driveway the first time and don't want it to happen out on the road. I know I have a few issues with the carb loading up, but don't think that is the problem with it going dead like that. I have got to fix that, then plan on tackling the rear main. I wanted to put a few miles on the motor so I could look at the oil in pan when I changed the rear seal.
Unread 05-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #99
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Also I took the green Jeep back to it's old home at my dad's old shop for a few pictures. I wanted to get some pics of it in front of the shop. Daddy was a big Earnhart fan as you can tell by the signs. We just left them up after he passed away.

Unread 05-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #100
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Amazing build.

I picked up a 75 CJ5 afew weeks back and I've been going back and forth on how to proceed. Mainly if I wanted to scrap the rough tub and possibly get an aftermarket tub and frame. I've inspired me to try to fix what I have first.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #101
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagr8tim View Post
Amazing build.

I picked up a 75 CJ5 afew weeks back and I've been going back and forth on how to proceed. Mainly if I wanted to scrap the rough tub and possibly get an aftermarket tub and frame. I've inspired me to try to fix what I have first.
Thanks! I actually bought a parts Jeep that has a fiberglass body. It would have been much easier to just use it. It's a lot of "extra" work to keep the original tub, but it was worth it to me. Mine did have a lot of family history though. I know if I did it, anybody can. Good luck on your build!
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #102
CjHouch

1976 CJ5 

Hi Bradley. First off must say the pictures in front of your Dads shop look good. Really impressive work you've done.

As far as the fuel regulator goes I haven't put one on a Jeep yet. My Edelbrock is not loading up but then again my pump is old. If you still have your carb manual you can read in it how even stock pumps can put out to much pressure. ( if you don't have the manual you can look up the series number on Summits web site and down load one if you want.) Holley has a pretty good regulator P/N 12-803 cost around $30. It's adjustable from 4 1/2 to 9 psi. If I remember correctly Edelbrock recommends a max of 7. You'd probably have to mount it on the fender well and run a line from the pump to it then to filter then carb.

It sounds like your ignition switch is the culprit as far as your starting issue goes.

Greg
Unread 05-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #103
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Thanks Greg, I am tickled at how it has all turned out so far. I had to run by the parts store at lunch and they had a Mr. Gasket fuel regulator #9710 on the shelf. Don't know much about it, but they said they haven't had any complaints so I bought it. I didn't get your post until I got back. This one is an inline. Hopefully it will be okay. The Holley would have probably been better though. While I was there a guy said he had the same problem and the regulator fixed his right up. That made me feel better. I am thinking like you that it is probably the ignition switch. I ordered one of those and hopefully it will be in this week. I will be ready for the long weekend then!
Unread 05-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #104
CjHouch

1976 CJ5 

That regulator should work good. I like the large knob to adjust it too. Add to that the fact it's chrome for some more bling, you can't go wrong.

Think I'm going to use one of the pictures in front of your Dads shop as wallpaper on my home computer. Hope that's ok. Ha ha. You have me wanting to tear into mine but I think I'm going yo just enjoy it this summer and maybe tear into it this winter.
Unread 05-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #105
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

It would be an honor Greg! Yeah, it might not be a bad idea to enjoy it for the summer. Plus that will give you some time to save some money. Although I can't wait to see the pictures of when you start! I love seeing them come to life!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.