1975 CJ5 rebuild - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1975 CJ5 rebuild

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #76
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Everything went about as well as it could yesterday. The 'ol green Jeep went farther this weekend than it has been in close to 20 years. My grandmother could hardly believe the Jeep. She was really excited. She has been one of my biggest cheerleaders throughout the project. I wanted to get it finished as quickly as I could for her just as much as I did for me. That's funny about the cinder block. My grandmother says she is going to ride in this one and I was wondering how I was going to get her in it! I did find out I have a few issues to work out. The carb is loading up at idle and looks like I have a pretty good oil leak. The few other things are just small stuff. The motor is the only thing I didn't go completely through. It just ran too good in the parts Jeep that I bought to justify rebuilding it. Even though I had no major problems and maybe it's just me, but this is how the Jeep world feels sometimes!

I have about decided that I will never actually "finish" this thing, but at least I can drive it now! I will try to snap some pics of the windshield frame and what I did to it and post them on here.

bradleybrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #77
CjHouch

1976 CJ5 

Glad things went well. I'm sure you'll knock out your minor issues quickly.
You've done an awesome job on your jeep. I'm sure you brought back lots of memories for your Grand Mother on Mother's Day. Awesome job on that as well.
And yeah from all I hear, they're never "finished".
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #78
DeafJeep

Just a suggestion, you can build one that is to your grandmother's specifications like her height, how her hips knees and foot ankles feel and build a sturdy two hand railing to her specifications so that she can get in & out of the Jeep. The idea came to me because I used to have a hearing guide dog.

You could make some paddings & carpeting like this picture ...

http://www.dogstairs.org/dog-steps-w...fferent-types/
DeafJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 06:09 AM   #79
DeafJeep

Hi Bradley, wondering how the windshield on the Jeep is doing ?
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #80
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Got some pics of the windshield on. It felt great to be able to drive it to work this morning. Although it would have been nicer driving it to a fishing hole! Looks like I will have to address the oil leak pretty soon. It seems a little worse. I am guessing it's the rear main. Never replaced one before so will have to do some research. Anyway, here are a few photos. I need to wash, wax, clean it up real good and take some better photos this weekend.

Man do I dread having to drop the pan and fixing that oil leak. Anybody got any advice on that? What about Edelbrock carbs? Mine is loading up. Anybody had that problem and what's the fix?
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:19 AM   #81
tonkatrucksryan

2014 JK Wrangler 

Rear main is super easy. On mine I jacked up the engine enough to break free the passenger side motor mount and take it out. Then the oil pan comes off and then all you have to do is remove to the two rear bolts on the back of the motor(near the flywheel). there are some excellent threads on this. It should only take you a couple hours. If you are anything like me buy two rear main seals incase one gets messed up. It is so easy!!!

26 Years USAF Retired 1MAY14

Past Jeeps:
04 TJ Rub,05 TJ, 75CJ5, 88YJ
tonkatrucksryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #82
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonkatrucksryan View Post
Rear main is super easy. On mine I jacked up the engine enough to break free the passenger side motor mount and take it out. Then the oil pan comes off and then all you have to do is remove to the two rear bolts on the back of the motor(near the flywheel). there are some excellent threads on this. It should only take you a couple hours. If you are anything like me buy two rear main seals incase one gets messed up. It is so easy!!!
Thanks! that makes me feel much better! Probably should have did that when the motor was out, but someone told me it was a rope seal and not to touch it because it was a real pain. I was afraid it was going to be a real tough job. I will do a search on the forum and study up on it.
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #83
CjHouch

1976 CJ5 

Great job on the windshield. Your Jeep is awesome. I'm sure it was a blast driving it to work. As far as your carb issue goes, sounds like you need to get a fuel regulator and set it at 4 1/2 to 5 psi. Even factory pumps can put out enough psi to pump fuel past the needles. If that doesn't completely solve your issue you may have to put stiffer springs on the needles. IMO as far as after market carbs go for street use Edelbrock is hard to top. The even make a needle set thats supposed increase the carbs off road abilities. I haven't tried it yet but plan to do so in the future.
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #84
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Is that your wiper motor on the outside of your windshield?
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #85
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Thanks for the info on the carb CJHouch! That's a big help. I will try that first. Hopefully that will fix it up. I don't know much about mechanic work. Dad never liked grease. He would always say grease, oil, dirt and paint don't mix! Plus it's been a long time since I tinkered with one of these things. Oh yeah, it was a blast!
Unread 05-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #86
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeePrather View Post
Is that your wiper motor on the outside of your windshield?
Yes, that is the wiper motor. It took me a while to figure out how to mount it on the outside like a factory '75. It is a '75 model with a 76+ windshield frame on it.
Unread 05-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #87
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafJeep View Post
Hi Bradley, wondering how the windshield on the Jeep is doing ?
Oh yeah DeafJeep, I can wear a cap while I drive it now! lol!
Unread 05-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #88
04MAX
1982 CJ7 

From around 1981. My grandmother, her cinder block and my first Jeep.
gm-jeep.jpg  
04MAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #89
DeafJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04MAX View Post
From around 1981. My grandmother, her cinder block and my first Jeep.
That is cool !!
Unread 05-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #90
DeafJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleybrb View Post
Oh yeah DeafJeep, I can wear a cap while I drive it now! lol!
I can remember my first time in a convertible car with my dad and being able to wear my hat. Good memory to have.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.