1975 CJ5 rebuild - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1975 CJ5 rebuild

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 05-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #61
Blutarsky

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleybrb View Post
The wheels are 17" Black Rock Vipers. They actually weren't my first choice, but I am happy I picked them in the end and they weren't as expensive as some of the other ones I looked at. That is partly why I got them.
Very nice.

Blutarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #62
Davis77Cj
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Didn't notice that DeafJeep. That's pretty neat. I am very tempted to put a 75 frame on it CJHouch. I picked up one at a junkyard for free after I bought a whole bunch more stuff so don't know actually how free it was. It has a good bit of rust I would have to patch though. I really want to use the hardtop that have since it has the suicide doors. I did some figuring last night and I think with a little cutting and welding I can make it fit using the factory hold downs and move the motor on the outside. I will let you know how it turns out on Monday. Looks like I will finally have some time to work on it this weekend. I am going to take your advice and start another thread to see if anyone else has some ideas. The weather is getting nicer and I am having a fit to drive the wheels off this thing! I got to finish up this last little bit of stuff! I know I will have plenty of "bugs" to work out too.
I love the story and the progress that you have made! If it were me I would do all I could to keep that top on it because, if my eyes do not decive me that could be a TankTop. Those are the only ones that i have seen with the suicide doors, and from my understanding they are pretty rare.
Unread 05-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #63
04MAX
1982 CJ7 

I like the fact that you have the history with the Jeep that you do. It will be so much more appreciated because of that. I may not be the original owner of the one that I presently own, but I intend to make lots of memories in it! Wish I could go back and find my first Jeep I ever purchased. It was 1979 and I was in the Marines. I was so proud that I was able to buy my first brand new vehicle all by myself (at the age of 20). It was a 1980 CJ-7. Tan with orange. If that Jeep could talk...................Keep up the good work my friend.
04MAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #64
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That Jeep is awesome! Post a video driving it when you have time.
contdevelop is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #65
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

That is very nice. Great job.

My son just bought a '74 and we will be getting to some things on it soon. Good to see it apart and some of the things in detail.

Did the '75 come w/disc or did you convert them to discs?

Again, great job.

Jim

Here is the post to his Jeep he just bought - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/jr...roject-1519633

CJ8 Build Thread<---- Click
Rollbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:33 AM   #66
DeafJeep

Quote:
8 pointer DeafJeep! We didn't make jerky back then! Minute steaks and burger meat! My grandmother could make deer steak, bisquits and gravy that would make you want to slap 'yo momma! haha!
Up here we have elk burgers that can be ordered at a restaurant. There is a elk & deer farm not far from the restaurant.

Nice 8 pointer you got there. Good to have hunting memories with your father.

It is a good thing the family Jeep was used for hunting deer. Beer, Deer & Jeep
DeafJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #67
Galt
1983 CJ7 

We have a lot in common. My dad also had a body shop through the 80's and he had a 79 cj7 that our family made a lot of history in. I didn't end up with my dads jeep because he sold it in 1989. Anyway, you've done an awesome job. I am always blown away when I see someone able to tear down a vehicle and stick with it long enough to get it back on wheels.
1993 RX7 1.3L Rotary/ GT40R turbo/484 rwhp
2002 F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8
2007 GMC Yukon Denali 6.2L V8
Galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #68
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Thanks guys! and thanks blutarsky! Davis77cj, it is a tank top. They must be rare because I have found out almost nothing on them. I am going to do everything I can to keep it on the Jeep. 04max, there ain't nothing like making memories in a Jeep with the top off! contdevelop a video would be neat. I am not to savvy on posting that type stuff, but may have to learn. Rollbar, I was able to find a '78 model parts jeep. That's where I got the disc for the front. I don't think they put disc on Jeeps until mid year 76 but I'm not sure on that. Good luck on the '74! Always wanted to try some Elk burgers DeafJeep. It's been a long road Galt! I knew it was going to be some work, but never imagined it would be this much work. It would have been so easy to quit several times. I had a black '79 when I was in college. I miss that Jeep too. One of the tough things about fixing this Jeep up has been what to keep as is and what to change. I guess because of all the memories. Changing the wheels, the decals, brakes, painting the roll bar black and so on. In the end, I decided that it would always be my dad's no matter what I did and as long as I kept it green. I live in a small town so everyone knew the Jeep as the green Jeep. I love the color anyway. I might as well put some of me in it and try and make it the way I have dreamed it could look like. Thanks for all the comments guys!
bradleybrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #69
tonkatrucksryan

2014 JK Wrangler 

Very Well said. Your dad would be so proud of you and what you have accomplished so far!!!

26 Years USAF Retired 1MAY14

Past Jeeps:
04 TJ Rub,05 TJ, 75CJ5, 88YJ
tonkatrucksryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #70
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

I got off work early today and got everything welded in place on the windshield frame and it looks like it is going to work!!!!! Time for paint!!!!! Looks like everything is good in my little world! I get to keep the tank top and make it look like a '75 windshield frame all at the same time! I even had time to ride up the road!!! It's been close to 20 years since this Jeep has been as far as it has this afternoon(own it's own power). Been a long time since my dad first taught me how to drive a stick shift in this 'ol dawg, but man don't it feel good to mash that clutch in again! My dad laughed and laughed at me. I will never forget it. I feel like a kid again! I can't wait to teach my daughter how to drive a stick shift in it too, or I think I can! That girl scares the crap out of me driving! I was probably the same way though. I really can't believe it!
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:52 PM   #71
CjHouch

1976 CJ5 

That's awesome Bradley. Didn't realize it was the first stick you drove. Makes it even more special. Glad you got the windshield all figured out and put together. Anxiously awaiting seeing it painted and installed.
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #72
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Yep, it was the first stick I ever drove. I can still remember where we were at. I have my fingers crossed for tomorrow. Mother's day is Sunday and I have something special planned for my grandmother. I am so lucky to still have her. She still lives right beside daddy's old shop. She told me when I told her that I was going to fix the Jeep up that it would cost too much money and be to much trouble and she wouldn't be hurt no matter what I did. What she meant was she was ok with whatever I decided to do with the old Jeep. Meant a lot too me knowing how she felt and that she was giving me her blessing to sell it or whatever. I will never forget. She called me when the tow truck came to get it out of daddy's shop. She was crying and she said "you know, I thought I was going to be ok, but when they pulled out into the road with it, I couldn't help it. It reminded me of your daddy and it looked just like him. I had seen him drive off in it so many times." I cried a little myself and told her "now you know why I just can't sell it." She will be 86 in just a few days. She has only seen some pictures of it and only one time in person since it left that day. If I have a good day tomorrow, I plan on driving it to see her on Mother's day Sunday.
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #73
DeafJeep

That is awesome your family is going to make a lot of good memories in the Jeep continuing a beautiful American tradition. God Bless America every time an old Jeep gets restored back on the road and the roar of the engine as the red & orange autumn leaves are blowing behind the Jeep and the powerful wind is in your face as a natural air conditioner. Best medicine there is. Now the famous motto " It 's a Jeep thing you wouldn't understand " is starting to come full circle.

p.s. Happy Mother's Day. God Bless
DeafJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #74
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Amen!
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #75
04MAX
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Yep, it was the first stick I ever drove. I can still remember where we were at. I have my fingers crossed for tomorrow. Mother's day is Sunday and I have something special planned for my grandmother. I am so lucky to still have her. She still lives right beside daddy's old shop. She told me when I told her that I was going to fix the Jeep up that it would cost too much money and be to much trouble and she wouldn't be hurt no matter what I did. What she meant was she was ok with whatever I decided to do with the old Jeep. Meant a lot too me knowing how she felt and that she was giving me her blessing to sell it or whatever. I will never forget. She called me when the tow truck came to get it out of daddy's shop. She was crying and she said "you know, I thought I was going to be ok, but when they pulled out into the road with it, I couldn't help it. It reminded me of your daddy and it looked just like him. I had seen him drive off in it so many times." I cried a little myself and told her "now you know why I just can't sell it." She will be 86 in just a few days. She has only seen some pictures of it and only one time in person since it left that day. If I have a good day tomorrow, I plan on driving it to see her on Mother's day Sunday.
Anxious to hear how it went today. Wish my grandmother was still here to share my Jeep with. I have pictures of her using a cinder block to get into my old Jeep back in 1980. Happy Mothers Day to all!
04MAX is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.