1975 CJ5 rebuild - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1975 CJ5 rebuild

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #31
DeafJeep

Victory is nearing to the checkered flag of the finishing line.

How much longer until you think you will be able to press the metal to the floor ?

DeafJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #32
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

It's time to start putting it together now. This is where I thought the fun would start. Boy was I a dummy! Nothing has went on like it came off! Everything had to be almost custom fit! Another side note is that I planned on driving this Jeep, hunting and fishing in it. I had done so much work on it that I had gotten to the point where I didn't want to get it dirty or scratch it. I can certainly see why people build these show cars and then never drive them. Anyway, while moving some parts around I chipped the paint on the back of the tub. Made me sick as a dog! Then I realized something. Even though it has a lot of memories, it's still an 'ol Jeep and there is no use in me building this thing and not enjoying it. And I plan on making lots more memories in it with my kids! Besides that a Jeep just ain't a Jeep without a little mud on the tires. Right? Here is the motor going in the frame. I decided to go with two more cylinders cause you only live once!

Transmission after being painted.

Finally, after a year and a half, the tub is back on the frame! I felt like a hero that day!

Now I am cooking! Wheels and tires going on!

I kept the original speedometer, but sent it off to be white faced.
bradleybrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #33
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

I took it for a short test drive this past weekend. What a feeling!!!!! Sorry I am having to post this build so backwards, but didn't find the forum until late in the game! And CjHouch, I dug out that old picture and am working on scanning it to show you guys. I was a little squirt back then!
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #34
CjHouch

1976 CJ5 

Once again awesome work! I really like that color. Is that the original color? My CJ5 was red from the factory and I intend to go back to that but you have me rethinking that now.
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #35
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

I was a little worried about painting the calipers and brake drums red, but I think they look okay. What do y'all think? One reason I did it was because there was a guy that helped my dad in his shop for years. He lost his leg in Vietnam and he always drove a red truck. He loved red so I wanted some red on there for him.
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #36
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

It is the factory color. It's called apple green or green apple. It must be a rare color because I have only seen maybe like 5 that color and only one other that color in person and that was a long time ago. If you decide to go with that color I have the ppg paint code written down at the shop. I can get if for you.
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #37
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Now it was time to push it outside and get it running. It took me like two weeks and I still didn't have it running. I ended up having to have a mechanic come to the house. I had it just a notch out of time. I knew it was out or thought that was the problem, but just couldn't figure it out. Ain't nothing like firing one up with open headers! The smell of raw fuel! Oh yeah! I put a small split duration 256/263 bullet racing cam in it. It has a nice little hit to it. Now by this time I was dreaming of driving this thing! No kidding! I know that sounds weird, but it's the truth!

My aunt re-covers seats so I had her do something special for me on them. I was afraid it would be too much, but I like 'em!

Here's the motor before I wired everything up. I am thinking dang! I dun took this thing way further than I ever thought I would and spent way too much money on it. I have never owned a new vehicle so I guess this will be my first new one! haha!

Finally the hood goes on! Whoop whoop!

Unread 05-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #38
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Now I had a decision to make. I wanted to make it a Renegade, but what decals to use? I searched the internet and found these. They were for an early year '75 and I liked them. I almost backed out putting them on because I thought it looked pretty good as is. I had never put any decals on before. I had watched my dad put on some, but that was it. My uncle came over and helped me. First thing we did was throw the instructions away! They said put them on there dry. That went out the door quick! There was no freaking way I was good enough for that so I put them on the way I remembered my dad doing it, with soap and water! What you guys think? Did I mess up or do you like them?

They were a pistol to put on! I did learn a lot though.

Unread 05-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #39
DeafJeep

Clearly a lot of hard work & tears of pride and pouring your own soul into this CJ-5 was worth the hard work. I like how you put the Warn winching logo above the speedometer for when your children are old enough to drive. A genuine father's concern & his love shining through to the next generation of Jeepsters in your family.

That is a nice touch on the seating. Where can one get seating with the Jeep logo like that please ?
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #40
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Ok guys, I finally have you guys caught up to where I am at. I haven't gotten to work on it hardly any for the last month. I am working on the windshield frame. This is stupid of me, but it has a 76 and up windshield frame on it. My dad laid it on it's side years ago in the woods hunting. He went back with the late model frame because the hard top fits it. He just tacked welded the windshield hindges to keep the windshield from falling either way. I can't to that now plus I want to put the wiper motor back on the outside like it was from the factory. Has any you y'all ever done that? It would be much easier to just put it on there the way it was, but I can't bring myself to do it. Here is what I am working with.

Any ideas??????
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #41
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Thanks DeafJeep, I think she just had some guy she knows and that does stuff for her embroidery it on there. I bet if you find someone in your area that covers seats they can do it too. Let me know if you can't and I will try and find out the guys name.
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #42
CjHouch

1976 CJ5 

I like the calipers and the drums especially after hearing the story on the reason for painting they like that. Your aunt did a fantastic job on the seats. Really like the inserts and the logos. Those decals really look good on there. Glad to hear your going to drive it and make more memories with your kids. Lots of family history in your Jeep!!
Unread 05-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #43
CjHouch

1976 CJ5 

If it were mine I'd be tempted to put a 75 frame back on but you wouldn't be able to use your hardtop. You might want to post a new thread on converting wipers for your frame. Lots of Guru's on here that may be able to help.
Unread 05-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #44
DeafJeep

Hi Bradley, I did not notice you mentioned your aunt. She and her friend did some good work on the seats because I was very happy for you and the pictures were very gripping. I had a chance to calm down and go back to re-read everything including what was said in between the pictures because the Jeep pictures were very gripping to look at the progress you made. I also could not help but notice by the time you were done with the Jeep project that the date and time stamp is 3/16/2013. I know you are a christian church going person and you probably did not realize you were going to finish the Jeep on 3/16/2013. Your earthly father as well your Heavenly Father is smiling. God Bless

John 3:16
King James Version (KJV)
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #45
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Didn't notice that DeafJeep. That's pretty neat. I am very tempted to put a 75 frame on it CJHouch. I picked up one at a junkyard for free after I bought a whole bunch more stuff so don't know actually how free it was. It has a good bit of rust I would have to patch though. I really want to use the hardtop that have since it has the suicide doors. I did some figuring last night and I think with a little cutting and welding I can make it fit using the factory hold downs and move the motor on the outside. I will let you know how it turns out on Monday. Looks like I will finally have some time to work on it this weekend. I am going to take your advice and start another thread to see if anyone else has some ideas. The weather is getting nicer and I am having a fit to drive the wheels off this thing! I got to finish up this last little bit of stuff! I know I will have plenty of "bugs" to work out too.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.