1975 CJ5 rebuild - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1975 CJ5 rebuild

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 05-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #16
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Thanks deafJeep! I need all the prayers I can get and have prayed a lot myself! I am behind posting since I am new to the forum. I am close to finishing this thing! I took on some odds and ends extra jobs and have been saving for a while for this project, but money always seems to be thin! There have been some parts that have been hard to find and some I had to hand make. I never realized how much difference there is between a 75 model and a 76 and up until I started this project. Oh yeah, this project makes for a great devotion to a youth group! They were blown away and some have even helped me a little. I figured it would teach them something and keep them out of trouble too. As for the doors, this jeep has a tank top hardtop on it and as far as I know it was an aftermarket top. It was the only one I had ever seen until I found this forum. Information on them seems to be hard to find so I don't know a lot about them.

bradleybrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #17
1983 CJ7 

Looks great
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #18
DeafJeep

Hi Bradley, you are welcome. At some schools for the deaf that have vocational technical schools. They have taken on somebody else's projects and finished them under the watchful hawk eyes of the school teacher. I did a few in high school but not a jeep.

You may want to consider asking a nearby vocational technical school. I have no idea on the costs but I am pretty sure they practice shopping for good prices on Jeep parts.

If there are no area vocational technical schools nearby then you could always ask the church youth group to pitch in if you have a friend who works at one of the garages in town & he goes to church with you. I am sure the pastor could announce in Sunday church group.
DeafJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #19
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

What's up guys? Hope everyone had a good weekend. I dug out some more pics to post. After cutting out all the rust and patching all the holes, I started stripping the body. It was at this point I realized that I was in for far more work than I could ever imagine. I mean, I knew it was going to be work, but just didn't think it was going to be this tough. I thought I never would get all the paint and surface rust off this sucker! I had a few people tell me that I would never finish it. That actually made me want to work harder to prove them wrong, plus I knew I had too, because I wanted to finish what my dad and I never got to start.

I have had this thing every which way you could turn it. This sucker had me beat down, but finally I got to shoot some SPI epoxy primer on it and it gave me a shot in the arm that I needed.

I wish I had been on the forum a long time ago for advice and to have you guys along for the ride! I sure needed all the help I could get. Anyway, after the primer went on I realized that the inside of the tub was pretty ruff and beat up. I had wanted to just shoot it with paint, but was afraid with the gloss on it it would look like crap with all the little dents and dings. I decided to go with a bed liner spray tinted the factory color. It went pretty good but did take more than it was supposed too. I also used it on the underside of the tub.

After I got it sprayed on, I had the idea of taping off some "fake" floor mats. I thought it would break the green up and give me some extra protection and I wouldn't have to use actual floor mats. I was tickled at how it turned out in the end.
Unread 05-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #20
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

That looks great like the contrast good idea.
Unread 05-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #21
CjHouch

1976 CJ5 

Love the story behind the Jeep. Very happy for you to be able to fulfill your dream of restoring it. Your doing an out standing job!
Unread 05-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #22
DeafJeep

Congratulations & your determination will see you through these tough days. Don't be afraid to ask for help on the Jeep forum and in person too.

I know when I do a restoration of an automatic driven CJ-7 someday, I am going to need all the help I can get from the guys on the Jeep forum as well in person.

Your Jeep dream is coming alive and your earthly father as well your Heavenly Father is smiling in Heaven today. God Bless
Unread 05-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #23
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Thanks guys! Had some more time to post some more pics this afternoon. I have got to get you guys caught up to where I am at so y'all can help me 'cause I am going to need it! After the shot in arm with the primer it was back to the slow grind of sanding and body work. I decided to go with a short hair fiberglass body filler like dyna-glass. I know one thing. Knocking the dents out is an art that I sure don't claim to have a grasp on, but since it's a Jeep and you can see the factory spot welds already I knew it didn't have to be perfect. When I got the dents knocked out, it was time for the body filler. When I popped the lid on the body filler, it brought back so many memories of my dad and his shop. It smelled just like I remember when I was a kid. It had been a long time (20-25 years) since I had spread any, but I could almost close my eyes and watch my dad spread it on. It was pretty awesome. Just wish he could have been there to show me how once again. Anyway, here are the pics of the body work.

After the body work was done I hung a makeshift paint room in my shop. I was sure that my dad was laughing or shaking his head in heaven at it and my taping off job! I used the tape machine that I watched him roll a mile of paper off of. It was pretty neat.

Time to finally prime again.

I gotta get back to work before they fire me here. I will try to post some more pics of the paint job tomorrow.
Unread 05-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #24
CjHouch

1976 CJ5 

My Dad was an electrician. I have a pair of his wire cutters he used. He always had them in his back pocket. I don't use them but had to have them. When I wired my house I often thought of him and wondered what he thought of the work I was doing and whether he'd approve.

Your doing an awesome job. I know your Dads proud of you. You said you had a picture of you sitting on the hood as a kid. If you can scan that and post it that's be cool to see next to one after you finish the restore.

Greg
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #25
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

This is just down right cool, great job, and I like the references your adding in like the smell of the dyna-glas.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 07:24 AM   #26
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Thanks guys! I have a little time to post some more photos this morning. After the primer went on, it was time to sand some more. Something I forgot to mention was that my grandad was a body shop man too. I still had his old wood hand block sander and I blocked the tub out with it. I hung new plastic in my make shift paint room and re-taped everything off. It was finally time to paint the real deal. A lot had changed since I messed around the shop with my dad. Acrylic enamel was king back then. I had to do some research on this base coat clear coat stuff. I had never sprayed a vehicle before so I was a little nervous. The base coat gave me fits, but I got it on with a few runs. In hindsight, I was trying to put it on too thick. I sanded out the runs and scuffed the whole tub out the next day. Now that base coat ain't nothing pretty and I wasn't really sure what it was supposed to look like. I had my doubts and was a little worried. Here are some pics of the base coat.

After the base went on, it was time for the real deal. I ended up using SPI's universal clear. I had cleaned my dad's shop out a few months after he passed away. I found 3 of his paint guns in a bucket of laquer thinner that he was cleaning them with. I was only able to find all the parts and may one of them work. I had been saving that gun for 6 years to spray the clear on this Jeep. Now this may sound stupid, but I was so nervous that I felt like Barney Fifthe trying to put his one bullet in when I mixed the clear up. I was so scared that I was going to screw it up because it was my first time to spray clear and didn't know exactly what I was doing. I had seen my dad spray a bunch and knew it wasn't easy. I had put so much work into it to get to this point and I sure didn't want to have to sand it all off and start over again. I walked outside and calmed down a little, said a little prayer, went back in and shot the clear on it. It went great and I really settled down after the first coat. It was actually fun after that or well a serious fun! I ended up with only a couple small runs on the last coat. I can't believe it turned out as good as it did. And let me tell you, that clear is the bomb! It is some liquid shine! It makes that base coat come to life!

Getting the clear on gave me a big boost and got me ready to start stripping parts again. It was so awesome to see this thing green again and shine like a new one.
Unread 05-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #27
DeafJeep

At the school for the deaf, we would talk in sign language to check the reflection of the paint. Good Work & You clearly are doing something right.
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #28
CjHouch

1976 CJ5 

Great job!! That came out looking fantastic. Using your Grandpa's sanding block and your Dad's gun, way cool.
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #29
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Using the old tools has been pretty cool. Got a little slow so here are some more pics. After I got the tub painted I started cleaning, sanding, grinding and stripping some 70 parts. It took me over a month to get them all down to bare metal. It just about got me in the end. I just didn't know if I was going to make it or not. I went with acrylic enamel on them since base coat clear coat would be too hard for all these parts. They looked great when I sprayed them, but after a week they still weren't dry. Even a month later they weren't dry with a hard finish. It turns out that the guy at the parts store forgot to put drier in the paint. I had to strip every last one of them back down to bare metal again. Since the paint wasn't fully dry it was like getting gum off you shoes! It was a nightmare! I wanted to cry. At this point I see why it is so hard to finish a project like this. Here is a pic of some of those parts.
Unread 05-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #30
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Okay, time for more pics. After fighting with all the small parts, I tackled the fenders, hood, grill and dash. I had to buy new fenders and a hood. The others were just way too beat up. Those aftermarket fenders ain't nothing like the original!

Finally got almost everything painted. Here it is all outside together. It was a proud day.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.